Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Guerrilla Capacity

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Guerrilla Capacity Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Guerrilla Capacity - 5/21/2020 6:58:04 AM   
Mark Breed

What is Guerrilla Capacity?

Am I correct in believing that guerrillas are deployed using the event based reinforcement procedure?

Thank you.

Mark
Post #: 1
RE: Guerrilla Capacity - 5/21/2020 9:23:52 AM   
jmlima

It's a 'behind the scenes' effect, pestilence type. It does not bring any actual guerrillas into the map. From memory, causes loses and may also demolish some bridges and damage rail lines.

(in reply to Mark Breed)
Post #: 2
RE: Guerrilla Capacity - 5/21/2020 9:27:46 AM   
cathar1244

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Breed

What is Guerrilla Capacity?

Am I correct in believing that guerrillas are deployed using the event based reinforcement procedure?

Thank you.

Mark

To have guerrilla units on the map, they have to be in the order of battle you create for a scenario. They can then be initially deployed, or appear as a reinforcement on the basis of a particular turn being reached, or because an event is triggered.

Cheers

(in reply to Mark Breed)
Post #: 3
RE: Guerrilla Capacity - 5/21/2020 11:59:41 PM   
Mark Breed

Thank you both.

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 4
RE: Guerrilla Capacity - 5/22/2020 7:24:00 AM   
Mark Breed

Follow up question, I understand that the guerrilla capacity is a percentage, can anyone tell how the percentage rates impact the scenario? For example, what is the impact when the percentage is set at 25, 50 75, and 100%?

Unfortunately, the rules do not provide this explanation. Although, the rules do indicate that the guerrilla capacity should be used in conjunction with the guerrilla reinforcements.

Thank you,
Mark

< Message edited by Mark Breed -- 5/22/2020 7:26:35 AM >

(in reply to Mark Breed)
Post #: 5
RE: Guerrilla Capacity - 5/22/2020 8:33:23 AM   
jmlima

IMO, It's a try and see what happens. Never managed to find the logic behind what was happening for any given percentage. It's also hard to see exactly what is happening due to the event in particular if you have other events and things happening around.

(in reply to Mark Breed)
Post #: 6
RE: Guerrilla Capacity - 5/22/2020 10:27:00 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Breed

Follow up question, I understand that the guerrilla capacity is a percentage, can anyone tell how the percentage rates impact the scenario? For example, what is the impact when the percentage is set at 25, 50 75, and 100%?

Unfortunately, the rules do not provide this explanation. Although, the rules do indicate that the guerrilla capacity should be used in conjunction with the guerrilla reinforcements.

Thank you,
Mark

I believe it is the percent of hexes that toggle ownership per turn.

So, the minimum value of 1 is much too high for virtually any situation.

It's one feature I've never used.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Mark Breed)
Post #: 7
RE: Guerrilla Capacity - 5/22/2020 11:52:40 AM   
Lobster

1% would be far too little for Belarus.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 8
RE: Guerrilla Capacity - 5/22/2020 3:45:25 PM   
Mark Breed

Yes, that does seem a little extreme. Thank you.

Post #: 9
RE: Guerrilla Capacity - 5/22/2020 4:55:33 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

I believe that is correct. I actually tested it and reported the results in a different thread on this forum. IIRC certain types of terrain will not flip (cities, airfields, etc).
There might be a slightly larger likelihood of woods and jungles flipping, but can't remember. As Curtis says, it could be a bit much, although it depends on the size of the map and time scale.

Post #: 10
RE: Guerrilla Capacity - 5/23/2020 2:54:39 AM   
sPzAbt653

Guerrilla Notes

Guerrillas operate more effectively in Hills, Badlands, Mountains, Light Woods, Jungle, and Forest locations. Guerrillas operate less effectively in Anchorage or Road locations and will not operate in Airbase or Urban locations. Guerrillas are only present if the Scenario calls for them. Patrols also act as a “projection of force,” in that they can affect the ownership of surrounding locations:
If unoccupied, a location adjacent to a Dense Urban location becomes owned by the Force owning that urban location.
A location adjacent to a unit of only one Force becomes owned by the Force controlling that unit.
Guerrillas can cause a location’s ownership to change. Guerrilla units have a special ability to choose between two different methods of Movement. By default, these units will not change the ownership of hexes that they pass through [Guerrilla units will not change the ownership of locations while moving]. After Movement is concluded for the unit, and another unit is selected, then the hex that the Guerrilla unit occupies becomes friendly-controlled. This mode plays to their combat advantages in attacking from hexes that were previously enemy-controlled during the Turn, by retaining more enemy-controlled terrain from which to gain the bonus on subsequent Turns.
Guerrilla units may also operate more openly by choosing to convert hexes that they move through. This will make their Movement paths more visible after playback and reduce the number of hexes that they can operate with a combat advantage from on subsequent Turns. To convert a hex during Movement, stop the Guerrilla unit in the hex to be converted and select another unit. This will convert the hex that the Guerrilla unit stopped in. Then, you may continue moving, repeating this procedure as necessary, to convert any other hexes.
Guerrilla activity has no effect within an Exclusion Zone.
Guerrilla units scheduled to appear as Reinforcements may appear at any playable location within three hexes of their scheduled Reinforcement location, if that location is enemy occupied. Unlike other units, Guerrilla units may appear in enemy-owned locations, converting the location to friendly ownership upon entry.
Guerrilla units always Disengage without cost, as Special Forces units do.
Guerrilla units are always supplied and always draw at least “normal” supply, regardless of whether their location is friendly-supplied or not. If a higher level of Supply is available, the unit benefits normally.
Guerrilla unit Attack and Defense strengths are doubled when attacking from locations that were enemy-owned at the beginning of the Turn.

(in reply to Mark Breed)
Post #: 11
RE: Guerrilla Capacity - 5/23/2020 4:00:15 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
So, the minimum value of 1 is much too high for virtually any situation.
It's one feature I've never used.

I’ve used the guerrilla event (I’m guessing that’s what you men by capacity) and it’s not as extreme as one would assume. It’s not a hard unit that has been deployed, rather only a change in ownership. In my experience most of the hexes changing ownership are non-critical, i.e. open areas, forests, jungle, badlands, etc. Once in a while a road or rail will change and that disrupts supply and/or rail transport of units. So instead of a 1% change per turn it turns out to be 0.1% or less for hexes that really have a bearing on the game. Not real drastic, but it does have the desired effect when a player suddenly discovers a planned rail movement or supply train is blocked by an enemy owned hex. I’ve used it as a “fifth column” event a player can buy using supply points. It adds a bit of uncertainty to the game and requires the player to monitor his backyard.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Guerrilla Capacity Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI