Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Something a bit different: War Is Peace

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Something a bit different: War Is Peace Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Something a bit different: War Is Peace - 5/20/2020 2:31:43 AM   
HalfLifeExpert

This is a scenario that I started work on quite a while ago, and I just got around to coming back to it.

This is based on the legendary novel 1984 by George Orwell, specifically the global perpetual war that rages in the story.

The scenario is not intended to provide alot of challenge or anything, it's really just a simple bit of fan fiction of that novel that I felt like making, being a big fan of the Novel.

It's one interpretation of the perpetual war described in the novel, from the perspective of one field commander amongst the forces of Oceania.

I hope you enjoy it, for what it is.

Remember, you can't really win, as in this world, War IS Peace

UPDATE: Okay it should work now.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HalfLifeExpert -- 5/20/2020 2:59:17 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Something a bit different: War Is Peace - 5/20/2020 5:03:49 AM   
Randomizer

<newspeak on>
plusgood scenario concept will not spoil surprise from Oceania. expected Oceania forces to use centurions or m-48s or cobra attack helos not eurasian junk but it works as is and might inspire the men on the floating fortresses and the malabar front. remember comrade ogilvy and his heroic death for BB, this scenario should inspire many more ogilvys in the days ahead. the battle fought will never make it to the telescreens unless minitrue deems it necessary for the War effort as any hope lies with the proles. Thought Police now have my Party card and am now a nonperson and headed for minilove and eventually for the chestnut tree cafe. long live Big Brother.
<newspeak off>

What a blood bath. Suggest resetting start time, the scenario starts at 0930:04 local time. Nit-picky but you know how this details jump out.

I think that the idea would benefit from uniform equipment on each side rather than roughly uniform on both sides but that's your design decision and I can live with it as is.

-C

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 2
RE: Something a bit different: War Is Peace - 5/20/2020 5:09:47 PM   
Coiler12

Just the concept alone makes this scenario doubleplusgood.

(I enjoyed it)

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 3
RE: Something a bit different: War Is Peace - 5/20/2020 5:53:24 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Randomizer

<newspeak on>
plusgood scenario concept will not spoil surprise from Oceania. expected Oceania forces to use centurions or m-48s or cobra attack helos not eurasian junk but it works as is and might inspire the men on the floating fortresses and the malabar front. remember comrade ogilvy and his heroic death for BB, this scenario should inspire many more ogilvys in the days ahead. the battle fought will never make it to the telescreens unless minitrue deems it necessary for the War effort as any hope lies with the proles. Thought Police now have my Party card and am now a nonperson and headed for minilove and eventually for the chestnut tree cafe. long live Big Brother.
<newspeak off>

What a blood bath. Suggest resetting start time, the scenario starts at 0930:04 local time. Nit-picky but you know how this details jump out.

I think that the idea would benefit from uniform equipment on each side rather than roughly uniform on both sides but that's your design decision and I can live with it as is.

-C

I had both sides use T-54/55s because I think that the 3 superstates, which are nearly identical in nature, would have equipment similar to Soviet models. Also, I chose the aircraft that are available as they seemed like somewhat generic aircraft that could be in use in that world.

The starting time is kind of imprecise because specific dates and times don't mean that much in Oceania.

As for your last comment, well I will reply in a PM because my answer is a spoiler.

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 4
RE: Something a bit different: War Is Peace - 5/20/2020 7:43:06 PM   
Randomizer

Replied to your PM, thanks.

I wonder what a nineteen eighty-four Floating Fortress would look like in the CMO databases? They're not really described in the book other than they are supposedly huge. Perhaps a hybrid battleship/carrier with missiles on 100K or more tons?

-C

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 5
RE: Something a bit different: War Is Peace - 5/20/2020 10:21:57 PM   
Scorpion86

quote:

ORIGINAL: Randomizer

Replied to your PM, thanks.

I wonder what a nineteen eighty-four Floating Fortress would look like in the CMO databases? They're not really described in the book other than they are supposedly huge. Perhaps a hybrid battleship/carrier with missiles on 100K or more tons?

-C

When I read those books, I remembered the World War II project by the British to make an aircraft carrier out of pykrete to station anti-submarine planes in the Arctic. Pykrete is ice with sawdust mixed in, it floats and is supposedly incredibly tough. I always pictured the Floating Fortresses as a floating Chinese Spratly Islands base made out of Pykrete, anchored to the bottom of the arctic.

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 6
RE: Something a bit different: War Is Peace - 5/20/2020 10:57:04 PM   
Randomizer

Project Habbakuk here: Ah, you know. Wiki...

Orwell occasionally wrote propaganda for the Ministry of Information and I suppose somebody might have twigged him to Habbakuk after the project terminated. It's an interesting thought.

One used to make ice-crete, gravel and water mix frozen solid and used for field fortifications in the Arctic. After all, digging there in winter is essentially impossible. On winter exercise in '87 or '88 we built and then shot an ice-crete bunker to pieces with remarkable ease but the Boss said that it was too warm out (just around -15*C).

-C

(in reply to Scorpion86)
Post #: 7
RE: Something a bit different: War Is Peace - 5/21/2020 12:25:37 AM   
HalfLifeExpert

I kind of thought of the floating fortresses almost a giant floating metal forts with large naval guns and maybe some missiles.

Based on the assumed background to 1984, things really went bad with WWIII occuring sometime in the 50s, with nuclear weapons being used. As a result of this war, the 3 superstates were born through consolidation and the various revolutions that gave birth to the 3 very similar ideologies that rule the world (Ingsoc, Neo-Bolsivikism, and Obliteration of the Self)

While all of these societies do focus alot of resources on warfare, with most of the technological advancements being limited to such pursuits, I think that as a whole, technology wouldn't have been as far along as in the real year of 1984, with warfare technology being closer to that of the late 50s/early 60s, with alot of persistent tech from the 1940s.

I think this is the case because the nature of the ultra-totaltiarian states would suffocate any free thinking on new ideas, which would massively slowdown most actual technological process. For example, the 'Rocket-Bombs' that are referred to in the book, I think, are probably not that much more advanced than the V-2 Rockets of WWII, except in accuracy.

So I envision the 'Floating Fortresses' as almost comic book style mass steel islands bristling with naval artillery and Rocket bomb batteries, that are so massive and armored that only nuclear weapons can have a hope of sinking them, which it seems clear that none of the superstates are willing to deploy nukes.

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Something a bit different: War Is Peace Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI