Congratulations to Sillyflower

Warplan is a World War 2 simulation engine. It is a balance of realism and playability incorporating the best from 50 years of World War 2 board wargaming.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

sveint

Congratulations to Sillyflower

Post by sveint »

Sillyflower (Allies) just beat me (Axis) on literally the very last turn of the game.
Both Germany and Italy surrendered on the 10th of August. Didn't manage to get a screenshot
of the individual country scores.

That's what one calls balance!

It was my very first game and a fantastic match.
sillyflower

RE: Congratulations to Sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Sveint is very kind. I call it a draw, or something resembling an allied shambles. He had 50% more VPs than I did at the end, and the western allies only held about 4 hexes of Italy, and none of those were cities.The Italians had lost a lot of troops on the eastern front, and I had occupied Norway earlier as I had no better plan. The Russians did control Sardinia (it was that sort of game) and had landed 1 inf xxx on mainland Italy in a place where it was more likely to be a hindrance than a help. Western allies can't enter Russian controlled hexes or vice-versa.

It was my first game too. I don't want anyone to think that sveint was beaten because I knew what I was doing! My personal win was that I finished the game without either having pulled my hair out or starting to use Prozac.

Svein is a descendant of the Vikings and plays like it. Any and every un-garrisoned port is an irresistible opportunity for an invasion. Even Rostov on the fist turn of Barbarossa. It was the only unguarded port because I had got used to his channeling of his forebears, but it never occurred to me that he could use sail through the Kerch Straits which were guarded. At least that can't be done any more.

Using multiple invasions in the Med, which I did not expect in a WWII game he used 1940 to and '41 to take all the Mediterranean territory inc. Gibraltar, all of North Africa and the Middle East including Iran.This left the western allies with little scope for making trouble, and meant that the need for garrisoning those countries was minimal. He did invade Glasgow in '41 and the south coast of England in '42 (just failing to take a weakly defended London) to stop me from getting bored.

Thanks to stiff resistance in France which held out for longer than he had expected (despite the refusal of this Englishman to send the BEF to help), and particularly in Spain and Greece which both held out until the spring of '41, Barbarossa started in '42. Relatively weakly from the west because of his earlier losses, and possible overstretch elsewhere, but with a strong push from Persia, which took the southern oilfields but then stalled. The USSR survived the onslaught relatively easily, though it did not seem like that at the time, but had to carry on alone apart from very intensive strategic bombing by the USA.

The Bad Guys were piling on the VPs and looked secure. However, the western allies built up enough tactical airpower to invade France successfully (at the 2nd attempt) and to expand methodically: channeling my inner Montgomery. With the Soviets grinding happily (I assume the troops at the front were happy not that I cared) good kill numbers and advances were made on both fronts. Suddenly, I think I noticed in late '44, there seemed to be a change. Whilst axis units did not look to have particularly low CVs, they were becoming more brittle. I was able to have a lot more success with low odds attacks, which in turn meant more such attacks were possible. The bad guys were suffering, but then the bad weather rather ruined thing. Progress was still reasonable on snow, but mud turns were not no so much fun. The return of good weather in the spring of '45 led to the collapse of the Evil Empire and I was hoping to get victory in September. I know: I hadn't read the scenario rules, and only knew it was the last turn when sveint told me after the game had finished.

I cannot think of having had a better game either in terms of unexpected twists and turns and the game being on a knife-edge throughout. For that, all credit to sveint for his unique playing style, and to Alvaro for making it possible [&o]. My only regret in hindsight is that I didn't do an AAR.

Round 2 will commence as soon as the new patch arrives.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

One of my games with Hadros was the same thing. It is now on the last turns and it is up in the air. As the Axis he has the VPs to win. I have to completely conquer him.

The other game he blew me out in 1944. But I know what happened.

Was your game one of the betas or 1.00.06?
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

And thank you for the kind words. You got exactly what I was shooting for in a game.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Looks like you had a great time. And yes, please do an AAR of the revenge on each side.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

ORIGINAL: Alvaro Sousa

One of my games with Hadros was the same thing. It is now on the last turns and it is up in the air. As the Axis he has the VPs to win. I have to completely conquer him.

The other game he blew me out in 1944. But I know what happened.

Was your game one of the betas or 1.00.06?

I was on .06 but I think sveint was on betas because his partisan problem went away very suddenly.
I can't install betas for some reason ? because don't have winzip after I had paid + downloaded it but it didn't work for me. All my complaints were ignored so I'm not trying again
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

You do not have to pay for winzip. Just take 7zip, it is free and far better:
https://www.7-zip.org/
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

If I don't respond it's because I didn't see it. The forum has an odd way of marking things read.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
sveint

Post by sveint »

I started using beta patches somewhere in the middle of the game.
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

You do not have to pay for winzip. Just take 7zip, it is free and far better:
https://www.7-zip.org/

Tx.I will try that
web exchange

Return to “WarPlan”