Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Naval spotting changes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Naval spotting changes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Naval spotting changes - 5/15/2020 11:43:10 PM   
El_Condoro

I am wondering what people think about the naval spotting changes.

On the one hand, I like how naval units cannot spot adjacent land units now but I have a concern about having no way to determine an enemy unit's strength now - neither through adjacent naval units not air attack. For example, Malta. The AA could be a guy with a pistol or a full division, there is no way to tell by sea or air. During the pre-change discussion, the argument was put forward that if you want to recon, use aircraft. I assumed the aircraft recon would give an idea of spotted unit's strength but it doesn't.

Long story, short, what do you think?
Post #: 1
RE: Naval spotting changes - 5/16/2020 1:37:53 AM   
Markiss

Having played under the new rules some, a little ground could probably be given on the issue. Amphibious assault ships probably need some kind of accommodation. My original suggestion was that amphibious assault ships be able to attack any hex, and fully illuminate any hex they attack, I hope that could be done. I think that would address most people's complaints.

I thought there was a time when attacking a ground units with aircraft did give away its strength, I don't see why it couldn't be put back that way. I think that would help too.

Just don't want to go back to the days of a submarine lighting up 20 hexes of coastline in a single turn, with full strength reveal. I think that with just a tweak or two, we can make this work for the better.

Lock up your wife and children now,
It's time to wield the blade..

(in reply to El_Condoro)
Post #: 2
RE: Naval spotting changes - 5/16/2020 3:00:57 AM   
El_Condoro

An idea: a colored dot on units spotted by air, with yellow = 50% or less; red = 25% or less. I'm not even sure that is possible but it gives an idea of strength without a specific strength. If it's not possible, I would prefer that air attacks give the strength of 'attacked' units, even if not necessarily those simply flown over, such as by a strategic bomber.

(in reply to Markiss)
Post #: 3
RE: Naval spotting changes - 5/17/2020 1:37:25 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Markiss,

When you mention Amphibious units being able to attack any hex, could you clarify with perhaps an example? For example, right now Amphibious Transports should be able to illuminate any adjacent defenders with a full FoW reveal and they can currently attack that particular hex as well.

For air units, I could be wrong, but I don't believe they ever revealed unit strength. They will however illuminate hidden resource strengths.

Hubert

(in reply to El_Condoro)
Post #: 4
RE: Naval spotting changes - 5/17/2020 1:55:23 PM   
crispy131313

New mechanics that would make it easier (as a calculation) to wipe out forces with aircraft I think is a step backward. Also I think Malta is a poor example to use as it was bombed relentlessly but never capitulated. Aircraft scouting already reveals a lot as is.

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 5
RE: Naval spotting changes - 5/17/2020 2:22:34 PM   
Markiss

Hubert, my comments were based upon an experience I had in a World at War game about a week ago. I was invading San Francisco with the Japanese. When my amphibious assault craft pulled adjacent to the city hex, it remained un-illuminated and I could not unload into it. The only way I could reveal fog of war on the hex was to attack it with carrier aircraft, and when I did that, I found the hex was empty! Only when the fog of war was lifted could I attack the hex with the amphib, it would not even allow me to unload into an empty hex!

Maybe this is unique to World at War, or maybe it was just a glitch of some kind, but that is what led me to make the comment. I will try hot-seating a couple invasions to test this when I get they time.

Post #: 6
RE: Naval spotting changes - 5/18/2020 4:17:19 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Markiss,

I believe there is a slight issue in the current WaW release when it comes to these new naval spotting rules which will be corrected in the next patch due out shortly.

If you have a chance to test WiE in Hotseat, assuming you also have this game, it should indicate how it would all work better than the current version of WaW.

Hubert

(in reply to Markiss)
Post #: 7
RE: Naval spotting changes - 5/18/2020 4:44:15 PM   
Markiss

Hubert,
I have all the games. I even have all the SC2 games on my old computer..I even have my copies of Panzer General and Allied General..

Glad to hear this is only a World at War issue, I look forward to seeing how it works in WiE. If amphibs can spot, everything should be ok.

Post #: 8
RE: Naval spotting changes - 5/18/2020 9:24:48 PM   
PvtBenjamin

So amphib units should have spotting and other ships not. Help me with the logic.

< Message edited by PvtBenjamin -- 5/18/2020 9:38:36 PM >

(in reply to Markiss)
Post #: 9
RE: Naval spotting changes - 5/18/2020 9:27:27 PM   
PvtBenjamin

quote:

ORIGINAL: El_Condoro

I am wondering what people think about the naval spotting changes.

On the one hand, I like how naval units cannot spot adjacent land units now but I have a concern about having no way to determine an enemy unit's strength now - neither through adjacent naval units not air attack. For example, Malta. The AA could be a guy with a pistol or a full division, there is no way to tell by sea or air. During the pre-change discussion, the argument was put forward that if you want to recon, use aircraft. I assumed the aircraft recon would give an idea of spotted unit's strength but it doesn't.

Long story, short, what do you think?

Changing the spotting w/o other accommodations was a monumental mistake, IMO. To me makes the game unplayable.

All he needed to do was have units in NM cities.

< Message edited by PvtBenjamin -- 5/18/2020 9:28:26 PM >

(in reply to PvtBenjamin)
Post #: 10
RE: Naval spotting changes - 5/18/2020 9:46:55 PM   
Hubert Cater

Fantastic, great to hear Markiss

(in reply to Markiss)
Post #: 11
RE: Naval spotting changes - 6/19/2020 11:59:15 PM   
Hairog

Naval Mods give Fast Carrier Task Forces an 8 hex search zone, Hunter/Killer TF has 6 hex, all capital hips that would have had spotter planes a 2 hex. It works well I believe.

WW III 1946 Books
SC3 EAW WW Three 1946 Mod and Naval Mods
WarPlan and WarPlan Pac Alpha and Be

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Naval spotting changes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI