Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Play Over the Internet?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Play Over the Internet? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Play Over the Internet? - 5/5/2020 12:48:51 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: davidachamberlain
Try using a screen sharing program like Teamviewer, Zoom, or even Skype to share your screen. You can give them control so that they can make the moves on your screen. Then, the requirement for their computer is just to show the screen.

I saw this comment posted on the WiF forum. For years, players have been asking about TCP/IP or LAN options for EIA. I'm wondering if this might be a workable solution for some players interested in trying this. If screen sharing allows multiple players to run a hotseat game off a host machine, then this might work for those who can arrange to be online at the same time.

An example might be a 2-player game where one player is France and Turkey, the other player is Great Britain and Russia, and the rest are computer controlled. I'm curious if this would actually work well or if there might be some minor technical issues that I could look into moving forward. To be frank, after seeing the issues with WiF and other games getting NetPlay to work, there's no way that I am going to open that can of worms. I still have enough on my plate to get the next official patch wrapped up one of these days.

Bill
Empires in Arms Development Team
Post #: 1
RE: Play Over the Internet? - 11/28/2020 10:52:19 AM   
Athelas2211

Im just an old board game player who loves this game and has a big family into such games.
Are you saying that MP lan or internet isnt available?
Pbem only?
Is there hot seat?

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 2
RE: Play Over the Internet? - 11/28/2020 10:30:49 PM   
pzgndr

Correct, there is no MP lan or internet play (TCP/IP or NetPlay or anything else). Nothing is planned at this point unless Marshall Ellis returns to code development and takes on that project piece. However, as I posted above, there may be a way to play using a screen sharing program? It would be interesting to find out if that might work. Just a couple people could try it and report back.

PBEM is available and has been working smoothly for the past couple of months during v1.23.07 playtesting. And of course hot seat and solitaire is available. Also, there is third-party combat resolution to export combat files, resolve battles using another game program or miniatures, and then import combat results file back into the game. That used to work OK, but I haven't heard from any players using it lately. Hopefully this latest update will attract players back.

Bill
Empires in Arms Development Team

(in reply to Athelas2211)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Play Over the Internet? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI