Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Putins War: Threading the Needle, 2022 Play Test V1 5/2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Putins War: Threading the Needle, 2022 Play Test V1 5/2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Putins War: Threading the Needle, 2022 Play Test V1 5/2 - 5/2/2020 9:34:11 PM   
BeirutDude

This is a Prewar scenario for Scandinavia. Finland, Sweden and Norway have not yet been involved in the growing NATO-Russia Baltic States conflict (basic war story line lifted from the defunct Arctic Tsunami, 2019 and moved forward to 2022). Russian cyber attacks and Little Green Men (LGM) fighting in Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia has caused NATO to honor Article Five. NATO and Russian air units have been going at it over the Baltics over the past 12 hours and Russian ground "Volunteers" will cross into the Baltic States while this scenario is going on, but that is not your concern! Your mission is to scout the reactivated Swedish Musko Naval Base south of Stockholm. Sounds simple right? Only issues are the channel to the base is torturous with shallows on either side, the Swedish Navy is mounting an ASW defense of the approaches, there at tons of shipping and civilian traffic to sort out, and the biologics. Fish, lots of fish!

You can only play the Russian side (I was trying to set it up for both but it was obvious the A/I couldn't handle the sub/channel routing). Its a low density scenario but not simplistic. It will test your navigational skills. I have played it ten times and only one once, and at that I had to sink a Swedish FFL that attacked me. You have to micromanage the sub's movement and be ready for Swedish contacts.

So as always thanks for looking at it and any ideas for improvement (corrections?) would be appreciated!

Attachment (1)

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
Post #: 1
RE: Putins War: Threading the Needle, 2022 Play Test V1... - 5/4/2020 12:39:05 PM   
edsw

Short and interesting script. I wanted to advise you in a briefing to the Russian side of a smaller “beloved homeland” and the like, all the same it is set as a combat mission, and they usually do short things in Russia)

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 2
RE: Putins War: Threading the Needle, 2022 Play Test V1... - 5/4/2020 8:06:52 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

I wanted to advise you in a briefing to the Russian side of a smaller “beloved homeland” and the like, all the same it is set as a combat mission, and they usually do short things in Russia)

Very fair point, I'll par it down! The briefing was written how an American thinks they would do things, I will defer to your better understanding of their procedures and "clean it up." Thank you!

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 5/4/2020 9:15:07 PM >

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to edsw)
Post #: 3
RE: Putins War: Threading the Needle, 2022 Play Test V1... - 5/4/2020 9:16:02 PM   
BeirutDude

Cleaner?

From: Commander, Baltic Fleet, Adm Aleksandr Mikhailovich Nosatov
To: Commanding Officer, Submarine Dmitrov (B-806)

Subj: Scouting of Sweden’s Muskö Naval Base

Sweden, as of 2019, has reactivated the Muskö Naval Base including the three underground docking facilities and the miles of underground tunnels and magazines

Sweden has allowed NATO assets to utilize the base for their so-called exercises and we must know if NATO assets are currently using the base.

The Swedish 4th Naval Warfare Flotilla is based out of Muskö and will have antisubmarine patrols active both in the nearshore waters and the Littoral/bays/estuary system. This could include ASW helicopters, especially the longer you take to complete your mission.

You are not authorized to attack Swedish vessels, UNLESS the Sweds appear to be positioning themselves for attack or they attack your command.

You should remain in the bay for at least four (4) hours (1st POSSIBLE victory condition) or if you can reach, and stay in, the Muskö Box for five (5) minutes (2nd, sudden death, victory condition) you will have achieved your intelligence gathering goal.

Be warned, the channel into Muskö is winding and will require all of your navigational skills to make it to Muskö Naval Base undetected and without surfacing or going aground.

You should assume all merchant shipping is potentially unfriendly and then mark as neutral when it is shown to not be a threat.

Message Ends.

(in reply to edsw)
Post #: 4
RE: Putins War: Threading the Needle, 2022 Play Test V1... - 5/5/2020 8:10:27 PM   
edsw

quote:

ORIGINAL: BeirutDude

Cleaner?

From: Commander, Baltic Fleet, Adm Aleksandr Mikhailovich Nosatov
To: Commanding Officer, Submarine Dmitrov (B-806)

Subj: Scouting of Sweden’s Muskö Naval Base

Sweden, as of 2019, has reactivated the Muskö Naval Base including the three underground docking facilities and the miles of underground tunnels and magazines

Sweden has allowed NATO assets to utilize the base for their so-called exercises and we must know if NATO assets are currently using the base.

The Swedish 4th Naval Warfare Flotilla is based out of Muskö and will have antisubmarine patrols active both in the nearshore waters and the Littoral/bays/estuary system. This could include ASW helicopters, especially the longer you take to complete your mission.

You are not authorized to attack Swedish vessels, UNLESS the Sweds appear to be positioning themselves for attack or they attack your command.

You should remain in the bay for at least four (4) hours (1st POSSIBLE victory condition) or if you can reach, and stay in, the Muskö Box for five (5) minutes (2nd, sudden death, victory condition) you will have achieved your intelligence gathering goal.

Be warned, the channel into Muskö is winding and will require all of your navigational skills to make it to Muskö Naval Base undetected and without surfacing or going aground.

You should assume all merchant shipping is potentially unfriendly and then mark as neutral when it is shown to not be a threat.

Message Ends.

Yes, thanks, that would be better. This scenario went through 5 times (the entraders drowned me). At 5, I decided to just keep 4 hours in the zone, but after the “victory” I thought that it was important to exit the danger zone and, as a result, they launched a torpedo at me and damaged it (but not seriously). I lay down, but then the Swedish corvette appeared, and I point-blank torpedoed it and sunk it.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 5
RE: Putins War: Threading the Needle, 2022 Play Test V1... - 5/6/2020 10:19:00 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

Yes, thanks, that would be better. This scenario went through 5 times (the entraders drowned me). At 5, I decided to just keep 4 hours in the zone, but after the “victory” I thought that it was important to exit the danger zone and, as a result, they launched a torpedo at me and damaged it (but not seriously). I lay down, but then the Swedish corvette appeared, and I point-blank torpedoed it and sunk it.

So the reason I put the inner "Sudden Death" Victory Box in was I actually had my Kilo in the bay for about 3:45-50 and was just about to win went a torpedo was detected. So I immediately launched two torpedoes BOL down the bearing the torpedo came from and tried to evade. Almost simultaneously both the Swedish and my torpedoes hit (I assume the Swedish FFL had increased speed). I lost of course but was kind of neat.

So I decided the sudden death Misko Naval Base box served two purposes...

1. Encourage folks to head into the bay toward the base rather than just sit on the b0ttom in the channel
2. Give an opportunity for you to win without sitting for four hours

(in reply to edsw)
Post #: 6
RE: Putins War: Threading the Needle, 2022 Play Test V1... - 5/7/2020 11:43:16 PM   
giantsquid

Thank you for this challenging and original scenario. Loved the idea and the narration.

I think it would be a good idea to have the Kilo come back to a safe area before closing the scenario. That make it more immersive.
SPOILERS AHEAD
I managed to complete it at first try (been lucky for sure) plotting a route inside the channel with ref. point and moving at 2-3 knts, clearing the baffles and stopping to listen.
On the way back, after the 5 minute port incursion, I met a Visby corvette. It missed me with the torps (lucky again), I retaliated and escaped undetected by others swedish units at 10 knots. I didn't met any chopper. Maybe you can immediately add some if a Swedish ship is sunk.

Thanks
Francesco

< Message edited by giantsquid -- 5/7/2020 11:44:38 PM >

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 7
RE: Putins War: Threading the Needle, 2022 Play Test V1... - 5/10/2020 12:56:30 AM   
BeirutDude

quote:

I think it would be a good idea to have the Kilo come back to a safe area before closing the scenario. That make it more immersive.

I considered that, it might be too much. Once the helios are flying the chances of the Kilo making it out are quite slim.

Let me think about it some.

(in reply to giantsquid)
Post #: 8
RE: Putins War: Threading the Needle, 2022 Play Test V1... - 5/26/2020 2:29:23 PM   
BeirutDude

I posted all five (5) Putin's War Scandinavia scenarios yesterday. So they are in the Ready Folder. That doesn't mean they can't be adjusted but I figured with a month of no activity play test interest in this one had waned. So all five are posted (in one Zip), but if you have any suggestions for the "Threading the Needle" scenario please post them here! Thanks for your guidance and suggestions.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 9
RE: Putins War: Threading the Needle, 2022 Play Test V1... - 5/28/2020 11:11:33 AM   
edsw

As far as I understand, you do not plan to release a scenario about the Baltic?

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 10
RE: Putins War: Threading the Needle, 2022 Play Test V1... - 5/31/2020 1:59:58 PM   
BeirutDude

Anything but!

I appreciate that you are anxious to see it, but I'm trying to learn more Lua coding to do some different things with the Baltic. I'm doing that with small scenarios.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to edsw)
Post #: 11
RE: Putins War: Threading the Needle, 2022 Play Test V1... - 5/31/2020 5:10:47 PM   
edsw

quote:

ORIGINAL: BeirutDude

Anything but!

I appreciate that you are anxious to see it, but I'm trying to learn more Lua coding to do some different things with the Baltic. I'm doing that with small scenarios.

Fine! I thought that since you released, as you said all 5 scenarios in the release branch of the forum, then you won’t plan to release it, and if I’ll wait for it (I could play another 5, but I like to go through it one after another). And yet, I looked at your screenshot, what version of s-400 did you add? There is with 40N6 and there is with 48N6DM. In Russia, it is now predominantly with 48N6DM, they have been developing 40N6 for a long time and it has only started to enter the army since 2018 or 19.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Putins War: Threading the Needle, 2022 Play Test V1 5/2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI