Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Military Historical/Science Fiction Recommendations?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Military Historical/Science Fiction Recommendations? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Military Historical/Science Fiction Recommendations? - 5/23/2020 10:39:47 AM   
sillyflower

Of the newer sci-fi writers, Iain M Banks is my favourite. Sadly, he died of cancer a few years ago at a relatively early age. Diagnosis was made too late - though this is not a veiled criticism of anyone because I know nothing of the circumstances.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 31
RE: Military Historical/Science Fiction Recommendations? - 5/23/2020 1:46:23 PM   
pzgndr

Dorsai! series (Childe Cycle) by Gordon R. Dickson was good.

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 32
RE: Military Historical/Science Fiction Recommendations? - 5/23/2020 5:36:22 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

John Ringo was a member of the 82md Airborne as I recall. David Weber was former Military too I think.
His series are all or mostly about conflict. These are all from Baen Books Series , Paladin of Shadows

I have read first few novels of Paladin of Shadows. Be aware that at least first novel is heavy on Republican propaganda. In addition John Ringo himself admits that he has took a number of Artistic Licenses. And he judged the first novel to be so bad that he didn't want to publish it and was surprised about positive feedback for free samples he uploaded to Internet.

quote:

David Drake is good too

His novels are more realistic than Ringo's and Hammer's Slammers is based on his personal experiences in Vietnam.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 33
RE: Military Historical/Science Fiction Recommendations? - 5/29/2020 11:34:16 PM   
reg113

quote:

ORIGINAL: pkpowers

"The Destroyermen" series by Taylor Anderson

Really good.

"Life's a b***h, then you die."

(in reply to pkpowers)
Post #: 34
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Military Historical/Science Fiction Recommendations? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI