Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is is possible for the Russian winter to not happen?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Is is possible for the Russian winter to not happen? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is is possible for the Russian winter to not happen? - 4/30/2020 5:39:26 PM   
Tanaka

In my MP game we are on June 1942 and it never happened? Is this a bug?

Post #: 1
RE: Is is possible for the Russian winter to not happen? - 4/30/2020 6:53:20 PM   
smckechnie

I think that the Russian Winter hits the first winter that German units are in Russia, so if the Germans waited till 1942 to attack, you would not see a Russian winter until the winter of 42-43. There is also the possibility that the Russian winter hit, but if there were no German units in Russia, then there would be no hit to German units.

By the way, if you are playing the axis and know that the Russian winter is coming, you can save losses by moving air or ground units out of Russia. The Baltic states also do not see a hit to German units in those areas for Russian winter, or at least I have not observed it.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 2
RE: Is is possible for the Russian winter to not happen? - 4/30/2020 9:40:14 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: smckechnie

I think that the Russian Winter hits the first winter that German units are in Russia, so if the Germans waited till 1942 to attack, you would not see a Russian winter until the winter of 42-43. There is also the possibility that the Russian winter hit, but if there were no German units in Russia, then there would be no hit to German units.

By the way, if you are playing the axis and know that the Russian winter is coming, you can save losses by moving air or ground units out of Russia. The Baltic states also do not see a hit to German units in those areas for Russian winter, or at least I have not observed it.

Hmm well I invaded in March of 41 so? Ah interesting tip!

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 5/1/2020 6:08:44 PM >

(in reply to smckechnie)
Post #: 3
RE: Is is possible for the Russian winter to not happen? - 4/30/2020 11:28:04 PM   
Treefrog

Note the sequence:
Allies move December 1941 and expect to hear Germans dying thinking January 1942 is next. But the German December 1941 turn comes before that in what seems to the Russian as early '42 but actually late '41. Then Allies move January 2 (or thereabouts) and still haven't heard any Germans dying and may think there was no winter; certainly there was not the tell tale German line of units of 8 and 9. The Allies scratch head. Then Germans move and attack at whatever there strength was at 0001 hours January 1, 1942. Finally, at end of the turn, the winter hits and Germans die.

Hard lesson for me as I just forgot it and got hammered in Ukraine in Jan '42 when it was temperate!!

"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Is is possible for the Russian winter to not happen? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI