Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Equipment Changes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: will5869
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Equipment Changes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Equipment Changes - 4/25/2020 7:02:00 PM   
Mark Breed

If I make changes to equipment in a scenario, does it change the master equipment file to the game or only the scenario?

Thank you,
Mark
Post #: 1
RE: Equipment Changes - 4/25/2020 7:12:08 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Breed

If I make changes to equipment in a scenario, does it change the master equipment file to the game or only the scenario?

Thank you,
Mark

Depends. On if you overwrite the original in the Graphics folder or make a new file in the scenario-specific folder.

(Don't do the former).

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 4/25/2020 7:13:05 PM >

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Mark Breed)
Post #: 2
RE: Equipment Changes - 4/25/2020 7:44:22 PM   
Mark Breed

So, while I am in the scenario editor creating my scenario, I can change the equipment in the Forces menu without any harm. Correct?

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 3
RE: Equipment Changes - 4/25/2020 9:14:32 PM   
sPzAbt653

Think about when you save the changes you made - would you be overwriting the original or amending a scenario specific file?

(in reply to Mark Breed)
Post #: 4
RE: Equipment Changes - 4/25/2020 9:35:59 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Be sure to read this:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4387350&mpage=2&key=

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 5
RE: Equipment Changes - 4/26/2020 4:43:58 AM   
cathar1244

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Breed

So, while I am in the scenario editor creating my scenario, I can change the equipment in the Forces menu without any harm. Correct?

Those changes will not affect the standard equipment file used by the game.

However, if the scenario has a folder with its name under "Graphics Override", the equipment file there may be affected. Those equipment files present in folders under "Graphics Override" are modified versions of the standard equipment file tailored to a specific scenario. Be sure to back those up before you tinker with the equipment definitions in a scenario.

Cheers

(in reply to Mark Breed)
Post #: 6
RE: Equipment Changes - 4/26/2020 6:01:09 AM   
Mark Breed

Thank you

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 7
RE: Equipment Changes - 4/26/2020 8:13:46 AM   
Shadrach

I thought the EQP files were saved into the SCE files since TOAW4? So that scene designers wouldn't need to worry about such details, and the EQP files were basically redundant unless you wanted to export for specific use in another scenario?

Same with COL files I believe?

OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)

There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger

(in reply to Mark Breed)
Post #: 8
RE: Equipment Changes - 4/26/2020 10:07:16 AM   
cathar1244

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shadrach

I thought the EQP files were saved into the SCE files since TOAW4? So that scene designers wouldn't need to worry about such details, and the EQP files were basically redundant unless you wanted to export for specific use in another scenario?

Same with COL files I believe?

Shadrach,

I've never heard that about .col files. I recall a mention of what you state about .eqp files. Have to say I prefer them as separate entities so that it is clear that modified equipment and colors are being used.

Not sure how one would use the game editor to edit icon colors -- is there a way? I've always done it with a text editor to make .col file.

Cheers

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 9
RE: Equipment Changes - 4/26/2020 10:46:12 AM   
Shadrach

Cathar; Not sure about COL files, but I think the same applies, they are used by the editor to define colours, but once saved in the SCE the file is not actually necessary. But I also think that IF the files exist these will override the definitions in the SCE file, as the game still does load them.

One possible drawback of the game still using external EQP and COL files is if the designer does changes to colours or units, forgets to export these to the included external files, and ships all of them in the package. Then it will use the old EQP/COL and not the ones changed in the scenario. Unless I'm wrong and the internal definitions in the SCE file takes precedence?

Would be easy enough to test, I loaded up "Leipzig 1813" which has a custom COL and EQP file. Removed these files, and I didn't see any difference in either unit colours or unit types. Any scene you know where this could be tested?

EDIT: A quick test with Process Monitor confirms that the game does not load the EQP file when starting a scene, only in the editor.
It does load COL files though. But not sure if actually used...

< Message edited by Shadrach -- 4/26/2020 11:24:34 AM >

- Norm Koger

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 10
RE: Equipment Changes - 4/26/2020 1:49:49 PM   
cathar1244

I'll have to find a scenario to test.

I am confused at this point. I took a scenario I've been working on that has its own .eqp file. I loaded it into the scenario editor, and made a change to equipment while in the "edit forces" interface. I saved that to memory, and then saved the scenario itself. That change did -not- remain in the scenario when I loaded it again. But the scenario does show the mods present in the separate .eqp file. This reflects what is shown in the URL provided by Bob -- that the equipment file has to be saved out as an .xml file and then put in the particular directory to be loaded with the scenario. But I don't feel 100% confident that I have not missed something.

Cheers

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 11
RE: Equipment Changes - 4/26/2020 1:50:10 PM   
Lobster

Since you can extract the .col file from the scenario with a key press I would have to say they are part of the scenario.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 12
RE: Equipment Changes - 4/26/2020 2:06:05 PM   
Shadrach

quote:

ORIGINAL: cathar1244
I am confused at this point. I took a scenario I've been working on that has its own .eqp file. I loaded it into the scenario editor, and made a change to equipment while in the "edit forces" interface. I saved that to memory, and then saved the scenario itself. That change did -not- remain in the scenario when I loaded it again. But the scenario does show the mods present in the separate .eqp file.

Pretty sure that's what I was trying to say above - the changes are saved into the SCE but the (unchanged) external EQP file takes priority, but only in the *editor*. When loaded for playing, they should be there. Or delete/move the EQP out and load it (the SCE) in the editor.

- Norm Koger

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 13
RE: Equipment Changes - 4/26/2020 3:04:09 PM   
cathar1244

You're correct, the item I changed is saved in the .sce file. "Interesting"

Cheers

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 14
RE: Equipment Changes - 7/11/2020 11:00:21 AM   
edward77

To Bob Cross. Bob, I am looking at your excellent Leipzig scenario which has a new equip section for Napoleonic units. Is there any way of copying that new file and inserting it into a new scenario? If so, could I have your permission to use it in my Jena-Auerstadt scenario? Thanks.

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 15
RE: Equipment Changes - 7/11/2020 12:52:13 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: edward77

To Bob Cross. Bob, I am looking at your excellent Leipzig scenario which has a new equip section for Napoleonic units. Is there any way of copying that new file and inserting it into a new scenario? If so, could I have your permission to use it in my Jena-Auerstadt scenario? Thanks.

Granted.

The .eqp file is located in the Leipzig 1813 scenario-specific folder. Or you can regenerate it using F11 key in the Editor (see 6.1.4).

You would put that file - renamed to your scenario, in that scenario's folder.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to edward77)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Equipment Changes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI