Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V2 4/29

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V2 4/29 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V2 4/29 - 4/25/2020 10:52:15 AM   
BeirutDude

EDIT: Play Test Version 2.0 in Thread Below...

Would appreciate your help and advice on this scenario, the first Scandinavian installment for Putin's War...

CMO: Putin’s War: The Midnight Sun, 2022
Al “Beirutdude” Sandrik
The Time Is: 6 June, 2022 23:00:00 Zulu/7 June 00:00:00 Nord Kapp Time
AOR: Scandinavia and North Sea
Playable as NATO or Russia
1 Day Duration

The Baltic Crisis finally erupted into a full-scale NATO-Russian/Belorussia conflict on the morning of June 6th. The Baltics and the Suwalki Gap were rapidly overrun by the evening of the 7th with Russian forces reaching Kaliningrad by advancing west along Highway A16/E28 from Vilnius to Kybartai. They then turned southwestward reaching Highway 63 in Poland on the 11th, where they paused.

Under the midnight sun on the 7th Russian air forces bombed the Norwegian expeditionary air base at Banak and ports near Nordkapp. The war above the Arctic circle had begun…

Notes…
1. Please activate the message pop up.
2. This scenario is playable by both sides, with the Russian player tasked with dropping paratroopers at Banak and landing Naval Infantry near Nordkapp. This scenario doesn’t get into cargo missions, instead the Russian player only need keep the amphibs in the Nordkapp Box for 6 hours and the IL-76 aircraft near Banak for 5 minutes per aircraft to get the points. Also, the IL-76 aircraft will result in the teleporting of one (1) paratrooper unit per aircraft reaching Banak to simulate the airdrop (again must remain in box for five [5] minutes). Please do not delete the locked reference points which are necessary for teleport and VP operations/events/actions.
3. Of course, to do the above the Russian player needs to clear out Norwegian forces. In fact, almost everything is worth some points with the ships/subs worth the most points. Therefore, THERE IS VALUE IN BLOWING STUFF UP!
4. This scenario pits the new Norwegian F-35 Lightning IIs vs. the S-300/400 series missiles. Fifth Generation aircraft vs. the most modern Russian SAMs. Norway is assumed to have converted all three F-16 MLU squadrons to F-35 Lightning II’s, that might be optimistic.
5. Russia also attacks Finnish and Swedish radars and air units. Sweden and Finland are hostile to Russia and neutral to NATO. NATO can overfly Sweden and Finland (just be careful to avoid friendly fire incidents).
6. You have about two mission loadouts per aircraft at each base. If you go beyond that you might have to reposition aircraft after missions to bases with loadouts. Please don’t add more missiles in the scenario editor, it is a deliberate design feature. Sorry no commander ever has everything they want! As it stands, in the scenario, the Royal Norwegian Air Force has about 600 AIM-120C-7 AMRAAMs which is probably WAY more than they really have (about 10x’s more than what I can find on the internet!).
7. Other than some USMC SAMs from Battalion Landing Team (BLT) 2/8, training in Norway, the initial battles are Russian vs. Scandinavians. Again, of the Scandinavians the NATO player controls only Norway. You can argue how much integration has occurred between NATO and Sweden/Finland over the past few years, personally, I don’t see total integration of ADA systems despite some exercises.
8. As the scenario is playable from both sides you will have to clear the Reference Points (RPs) set up for the A/I’s missions. Please do not delete any locked RPs.

Originally created under CMO Version 1.01 Build 1143.1 – Data Base: DB3000 483
An .INI and Delta File have both been provided for rebuilds
Al “BeirutDude” Sandrik (ex-Beachinnole)
Al.Sandrik@gmail.com

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 4/29/2020 8:54:28 PM >

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
Post #: 1
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 4/27/2020 3:55:40 AM   
magi

okidokie.......

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 2
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 4/28/2020 11:16:28 AM   
ParachuteProne

Can't wait to see these on steam :)

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 3
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 4/28/2020 2:28:23 PM   
BeirutDude

I don't know how to do them on STEAM, so will have to be with the Community Pack. I've never done anything with STEAM and don't really understand it to be honest.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to ParachuteProne)
Post #: 4
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 4/28/2020 4:19:01 PM   
ParachuteProne

Ah, I could try installing it directly.

Had something weird happen when I was using CMANO.
My steam install folder got changed and steam workshop scenarios all would install to the wrong place , was a real pain that I never was able to fix. I assume I must have installed something directly and screwed steam up somehow.

I'm using CMO now and am a bit nervous about installing directly to the game directories, although I'm no stranger to the file systems in any other game. I'll try it with CMO.

Thanks

< Message edited by ParachuteProne -- 4/28/2020 4:20:13 PM >

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 5
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 4/28/2020 7:37:28 PM   
BeirutDude

I wouldn't want to see you do anything that might mess up your game! My scenarios aren't that good that they're worth the risk!

Post #: 6
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 4/28/2020 11:31:33 PM   
ParachuteProne

quote:

ORIGINAL: BeirutDude

I wouldn't want to see you do anything that might mess up your game! My scenarios aren't that good that they're worth the risk!

Well adding a few files shouldn't. I probably did something too fast without watching -like usual .
Aren't that good huh ? He is using reverse psychology on me !!!!!!!!!

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 7
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 4/29/2020 12:14:46 AM   
BeirutDude

No just being honest!

Post #: 8
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 4/29/2020 6:02:47 AM   
magi

well... i am 20 mimets in to this... i have decided i will not heavily contest north of Bardufoss/Tromso....
i am attriting there air assets trying to focus on there strikers... however i had to knock down there mig 31s..
trying to sneak through to their long range recon/patrol aircraft...
im doing rather well with AD/counter air for now... the f-35s are working great... but i am running out of ready aircraft and shortly everybody will be going RTB....

with my combat capable surface ships i am i am trying to rally them north off the coast of tromso to use in a more combined way....

dont the Norwegians have a bunch of f-16s... some of them would be useful....

< Message edited by magi -- 4/29/2020 6:04:46 AM >

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 9
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 4/29/2020 7:42:47 AM   
magi

the sweds and fins are not contesting their airspace....
Finnish radar is inactive... they have no ready aircraft...
Swedish gripens olny have short range ir loadouts... and no ready aircraft....

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 10
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 4/29/2020 4:14:36 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

dont the Norwegians have a bunch of f-16s... some of them would be useful....

All three F-16 MLU Squadrons have been assumed to have converted over the F-35s for this scenario. Probably a bit early for a complete transition. One squadron is at Orland AB in the south of the country, so if you haven't found them, might want to move them north. Now in the next scenario, one F-16 squadron is resurrected as I assume that as F-35s go down, are damaged or have spare parts issues. the Norwegian AF will dip into their stock or recently decommed F-16s. So I assume they were not disposed of yet and a composite squadron is formed Ad Hoc.

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 4/29/2020 8:57:45 PM >

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 11
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 4/29/2020 4:15:57 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

Hmmm, I know I set them up, not sure what happened there! Thanks, will check on it! That was a night I was having a massive headache so maybe I set them up and didn't save?

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 4/29/2020 4:16:41 PM >

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 12
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 4/29/2020 7:39:34 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

So I checked my copy on my computer (in Scenario Editor) and both Sweden and Finland's radars are on, aircraft are readied and missions assigned.

Then I downloaded the ZIP from this thread and again, all are there (BTW first readied aircraft for all three bases is 30 minutes in).

The I ran the scen file from the zip and they're there.

NOW, SPOILER ALERT

There is a massive Russian SEAD strike that hits them pretty hard early on in the scenario, especially in the north. Could that be it????

Image Finland radars are beginning of scenario.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 4/29/2020 8:55:16 PM >

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 13
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 4/29/2020 7:43:52 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

OK so Looking at this, I know what I need to do and that is to ready some Finnish and Swedish Fighters immediately and move up some of the later fighter's ready times. Thanks!!!!!

So to be sure I deleted and rebuilt the Finnish and Swedish AAW and Air Strike (alert) missions. I have found that sometimes the logic gets stuck and you just have to rebuild them.

Play Test Version 2.0 (incorporates above adjustments, hopefully that solves the issues Magi brought up)...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 4/29/2020 8:58:50 PM >

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 14
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 4/29/2020 8:57:52 PM   
magi

one other thing.... on the Norwegian side all the ships in the north are radar active and seem to be pre targeted.... i believe emcom b fore them would be more reasonable at start... 2 pboats escaped by haualing ass south hugging the shoreline...

i extended the fins/sweds patrol areas a bit farther south...

the f35s are amazing in game... i dont know if there has been any counter fire on them...

im going to switch to bodo express which i just started last night.... i would like to mention a red sub spawned in my QE group... thats kind of mean....

i will come back to this when you have the next version.....

< Message edited by magi -- 5/1/2020 4:18:38 AM >

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 15
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 4/29/2020 9:00:52 PM   
magi

quote:

quote:

OK so Looking at this, I know what I need to do and that is to ready some Finnish and Swedish Fighters immediately and move up some of the later fighter's ready times. Thanks!!!!!

So to be sure I deleted and rebuilt the Finnish and Swedish AAW and Air Strike (alert) missions. I have found that sometimes the logic gets stuck and you just have to rebuild them.

Play Test Version 2.0 (incorporates above adjustments, hopefully that solves the issues Magi brought up)...

oh.... just saw thats its ready.... will check it out...

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 16
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 4/29/2020 9:03:21 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

one other thing.... on the Norwegian side all the ships in the north are radar active

Dang, I don't know why because the side doctrine is set to Passive! I have noticed the Doctrine seems to be a bit funny these days and does some weird things. Thanks will look at it. The Admiral Gorshkov-class frigate is a powerful unit for a "Frigate!"

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 17
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 4/29/2020 9:04:25 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

one other thing.... on the Norwegian side all the ships in the north are radar active

Dang, I don't know why because the side doctrine is set to Passive! I have noticed the Doctrine seems to be a bit funny these days and does some weird things. Thanks will look at it. The Admiral Gorshkov-class frigate is a powerful unit for a "Frigate!"

EDIT: Yeah I just checked them in the Scenario Editor, The NATO side Doctrine is Passive and each of those groups/vessels shows up as Passive. So I'm not sure what is going on!

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 4/29/2020 9:09:47 PM >

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 18
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 4/29/2020 9:17:53 PM   
magi

maybe warnings from GLOBUS on missile launches.... if so that would be normal...

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 19
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 4/30/2020 11:21:55 AM   
BeirutDude

quote:

maybe warnings from GLOBUS on missile launches.... if so that would be normal...

While it lasts!

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 4/30/2020 11:22:09 AM >

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 20
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 4/30/2020 2:02:32 PM   
KnightHawk75

quote:

Don't sell yourself short like that.

Speaking of weird things with posture, on Bodo express I did have to change nato posture and disable collective when it came to finland. It kept auto marking them hostile on the NATO side when some Finish jets attacked one of my missiles that were headed toward mig-31s (this is what I get for trying to help out finland!). I figured that's a weird but WAD issue with postures. I never mentioned it cause I figured I was doing something I wasn't really supposed too in the first place.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 21
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 4/30/2020 2:19:09 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

Speaking of weird things with posture, on Bodo express I did have to change nato posture and disable collective when it came to finland. It kept auto marking them hostile on the NATO side when some Finish jets attacked one of my missiles that were headed toward mig-31s (this is what I get for trying to help out finland!). I figured that's a weird but WAD issue with postures. I never mentioned it cause I figured I was doing something I wasn't really supposed too in the first place.

Hmmmm, never had that happen. interesting. What I can do is to disable collective responsibility for NATO and that should take care of that issue.

(in reply to KnightHawk75)
Post #: 22
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 5/1/2020 4:08:35 PM   
ParachuteProne

quote:

quote:

Hmmmm, never had that happen. interesting. What I can do is to disable collective responsibility for NATO and that should take care of that issue.

Great scenario !
I had a similar thing, biologics kept switching to hostile.
Another weird thing, more game related I think. Once a ship is set to RTB you cannot unassign and change it back to plotted etc.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 23
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 5/1/2020 5:01:00 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

Great scenario !

THANK YOU!

quote:

I had a similar thing, biologics kept switching to hostile.

Hostile Fish! Sounds like a Hitchcock or bad SciFi movie (Mystery Science Theatre 3000?)!

That's on me and it should now be corrected. I turned off collective responsibility for the Fish, Sweden, Finland and NATO. None of them need it checked for this scenario. In fact, neither do the Russians now that I think about it, so next time I'm in it will turn them off as well. Everyone is where they should be WRT Posture.

quote:

Another weird thing, more game related I think. Once a ship is set to RTB you cannot unassign and change it back to plotted etc.

Hmmm, Usually you can unassign, not sure where the scenario settings would effect that. I have encountered this myself. I think I had to unassign the unit and then assign back to its mission, but it didn't like just course plotting it. I'd suggest trying that.

Post #: 24
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 5/1/2020 5:41:00 PM   
stilesw

quote:

Hostile Fish!

!?!?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 25
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 5/2/2020 2:11:02 AM   
ParachuteProne

I'll try it again but as soon as I hit un-assign the unit went instantly to RTB .
Next time you use hostile biologics, at least make them hostile sharks with frickin laser beams on their heads to balance the scenario.

(in reply to stilesw)
Post #: 26
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 5/2/2020 9:36:11 PM   
BeirutDude

LOL! Thanks, with this COVID Crud I needed a laugh! Man my head is pounding!

(in reply to stilesw)
Post #: 27
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 5/2/2020 9:41:40 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

I'll try it again but as soon as I hit un-assign the unit went instantly to RTB .

Right, but I have had luck with unassigned and then going into the unit orders drop down and assigning it back to a mission, Now if its Joker fuel, it should give you a message saying "You better now what you are doing!" I usually use Joker fuel as I've lost too many aircraft who were Bingo fuel and then had to evade and ran out of fuel.

quote:

Next time you use hostile biologics, at least make them hostile sharks with frickin laser beams on their heads to balance the scenario.

Not against hunting or fishing, but I always thought it would be more sporting if Bambi could shoot back!

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 5/2/2020 9:42:03 PM >

Post #: 28
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 5/2/2020 10:27:15 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

I'm about to start this scenario for the first time, I like the setup, but I wanted to ask about the reason for including the docked Norwegian ships that won't be ready within the timeframe of the scenario.

I think an interesting thing to do (perhaps in an immediate sequel scenario to this) is to try and evacuate and protect Norwegian naval vessels before they are destroyed by air/missile attacks.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 29
RE: Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V1 4/25 - 5/2/2020 11:04:17 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

I'm about to start this scenario for the first time, I like the setup, but I wanted to ask about the reason for including the docked Norwegian ships that won't be ready within the timeframe of the scenario.

1. Targets! Much like the maintenance aircraft. So, as I'm sure you know, at any given time only 1/3 of a fleet's vessels are ready for deployment, 1/3 have short term availability and 1/3 are down hard for major maintenance. Those vessels you refered to are the 1/3 that are down hard, but still can be attacked. Granted not a large chance, but if you play from the Russian side you will see there is some possibility there.

2. I also tend to be quite detail oriented and wanted to account for most of the Norwegian Navy (as it isn't that big).

quote:

I think an interesting thing to do (perhaps in an immediate sequel scenario to this) is to try and evacuate and protect Norwegian naval vessels before they are destroyed by air/missile attacks.

Interesting idea. I almost did the Bodo Express as an Allied/NATO amphibious assault/invasion with the idea that the Russian 106 GDs Airborne had seized Bodo. But then thought about it and the IL-76 Candids and other Russian transport would be very busy in the Baltics moving the 76th GDs Airborne (scenario to come). So I figured the FEBA in the Bodo Express scenario is about as far as the Russians could get with two ground brigades ann=d some airborne/airmobile reinforcement.

What I could do is to have some of those vessels in port try to evacuate (as per the Bodo Express sceanrio description BTW) to the UK and Oslo area with some mounts and sensors removed to simulate vessels under major maintenance. So basically the vessels north of Tromso were destroyed in "The Midnight Sun" scenario (as they would be) and then the vessels near Narvik tried to escape and were hunted down by the Russians between Midnight Sun and Bodo Express. Again, Interesting idea, sort of like the Polish Navy in 1939. Thanks.

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 5/2/2020 11:05:27 PM >

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Putin's War, The Midnight Sun, 2022 Play Test V2 4/29 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI