Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tech problems - windows 10

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Tech problems - windows 10 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tech problems - windows 10 - 4/25/2020 10:34:58 AM   
LGKMAS

Hi
getting a bit frustrated. I use hotkey 6 to show me sub patrols. The whole screen slows to a crawl. I click on the strategic map and after about 2 minutes I get that area.
It gets worse when I use hotkey Z, search arcs. That takes about 5 minutes to show up and when I tried to look at another section of the map, the whole computer froze. I got the screen when I clicked, but I cannot transfer to any other program.
I am using windows 10.
When I alt-tab, I get a brief screen shot of everything that is open but I cannot click on any of them. I do a ctrl-alt-del and even that does not come up. I eventually, after 15 minutes of staring at the immobile screen, had to turn the computer off and restart.
Any thoughts?
PS please do not say I need to simply click on hotkeys 2, 7 and 32 and then enter xyz where xyz is my register number or birthdate or whatever, and then double click on the registry key. That makes no sense to me. I am not a programmer or even understand any such thing. I am a user and I expect to be able to load and run programs, rather than poke about under the hood (is that the expression?) And I am well qualified to tell you darned kids to get offa my lawn, so what advice can you offer a septuagenarian?

EDIT: I have read the previous posts re this slow problem and they all seem to say it's your switches. My reply is, What Bloody Switches? Where do I find them? The screen shot someone posted shows a completely different screen to mine.

And I am really enjoying the game. I now have daily dedicated WitP-AE time, especially with the COVID-19 lockdown. But this slowness in certain areas really bugs me (Yeah, I know, Pun not intended!). It seems that I can scroll well and if I have been investigating a base, if I right click, the scrolling works much faster. Don't ask me how it happens, I just idly right clicked one day and found myself scrolling faster.

Hot key K, the weather screen works fast. Even 5, the Supply path works once I give it time to do the number crunching.
It is just these two hot keys that irritate me. I want to find out where my sub patrol gaps are and the same with the Search arcs.

< Message edited by LGKMAS -- 4/25/2020 11:09:44 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Tech problems - windows 10 - 4/25/2020 11:30:11 AM   
Trugrit

What Bloody Switches? Where do I find them?

They are added to the target field in your desktop shortcut.

In your game folder there is a read me file that describes the switches.

Are you running the correct version?

The switches shown below are mine. Yours may be different depending on your computer.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Trugrit -- 4/25/2020 11:32:39 AM >

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 2
RE: Tech problems - windows 10 - 4/25/2020 1:57:36 PM   
LGKMAS

Hi Trugrit
I did everything you had listed and shown on your screen shot. The problem is now not as bad as before but not optimal. I get a sub patrol after 2 minutes 35 secs. It seems best to close that screen , center it on a new location and hotkey 6 to get the new location sub patrols. Simply trying to use the strategic map to log into an area seems to clog up the works.
With Hotkey Z ( Search Arcs,) I get the first screen after 4 minutes 20 secs. When I try and close the Z Screen, I get a serious delay, about 5 minutes before I get a response., which is a close Hotkey Z screen back to normal screen. And that is when I am following the example of hotkey 6. ie close one screen, move on the strategic screen to the new location and the hotkey.
It looks like my laptop configuration is not optimal for WitP-AE but it does work.
I think I will just have to suck it up and rely on the occasional sub patrol screen and ignore looking at search arcs.

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 3
RE: Tech problems - windows 10 - 4/25/2020 2:53:11 PM   
kbfchicago

quote:

ORIGINAL: LGKMAS
quote:

I think I will just have to suck it up and rely on the occasional sub patrol screen and ignore looking at search arcs.

There may be a couple of things in play here. I'd like to first and formost note that I've always seen "a bit" of a lag when scrolling around with the search arc and patrol hot keys "on", not minutes, but there is definite lag. I can, with a noticeable but not debilitating lag, scroll around with one of them on (I do not use both at the same time). I'm currently on a Mac with a virtual PC running Win10 but have seen the same in the past with high end PCs with dedicated, high memory, graphics cards. The higher the memory (PC and graphics card) the better the performance.

#1 - (May help) If you have a fairly "well aged" laptop (I'm also a member of the get off my lawn club...so nothing is "old") you may need to change your "-cpu3" to "-cpu2". This switch (I think) is telling the program which cpu to run on in a multi-cpu machine, which virtually any PC made in the last 10 years is... however the # of CPUs varies by age and model. You may not have 3 which could be causing a drag on performance.

#2 - (Likely can help) It's all about graphics. I would take out the "-deepcolor" and "-multiaudio" switches. If you have a low(er) end graphics card that may give it break from some processing. I don't think -multiaudio is in play...but unless your really into the sound the game produces its superfluous...anything to give your CPU and graphics a break is best!

#3 - (Will help) Check with a millennial in the house/family on your laptop configuration. Many have an ability for you to go into the bios or other utility to increase the amount of memory you can allocate to graphics. If you have the ability to bump this up my bet that it is likely your best bet.

Also be wary of what else you're running on the PC at the same time as the game. If you're watching the Great British Baking show or PBS re-run of War at Sea in the corner of the screen while playing the game...you're not helping matters :-)

Hope one or more of these can assist. Happy Gaming. Kevin

Edit:

Also noticed I have "-SingleCpuOrders" switch before my "-Cpu#" switch, not sure if this is an impact for you or not...

Edit to my edit... just noticed and (re)refreshed my read of the "slow performance" sticky thread at the top of this forum. BB did a really nice job laying out (much better) switch explinations. Shortcut: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4592590

< Message edited by kbfchicago -- 4/25/2020 3:22:46 PM >

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Tech problems - windows 10 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI