Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Blizzard display CVs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Blizzard display CVs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Blizzard display CVs - 4/25/2020 10:12:27 AM   
tyronec

Playing Axis, am seeing that most of my CVs are going down for battles when Axis are defending.
However for attacking nearly all CVs are going up in combat, which is kind of what you might expect with good leaders.
Soviet CVs mostly go down in defence, sometimes by quite a lot. Am guessing that is because of lack of supplies.
They also do better in attack.

But why are Axis CVs going down so much in defence, it seems to happen even with good leaders and when supplies are OK ?
Post #: 1
RE: Blizzard display CVs - 4/25/2020 11:02:55 AM   
chaos45

Pretty sure in the first winter is like a random roll for German units in any combat...I don't know the specifics. For soviets its probably fatigue, supply, and support. As the Soviet commander may not have moved his HQs for the initial assaults to ensure better support but moved them at the end of the turn thus meaning less support against German counterattacks.

Is a lot of variables in play that can change before and after every single battle in the game. HQ support can be critical to CV inflation. Also soviet command chain could be in chaos if he is using tons of mixed assaults.

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 2
RE: Blizzard display CVs - 4/25/2020 6:10:02 PM   
BrianG

The blizzard cv's in the beta have changed.

Russian cv's seem inflated, and the germans not lower. I think a reverse of earlier. I have no complaints.

Normal harsh blizzard battles are not not good for germans when attacking or defending. I think they improve as the winter months move along.

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 3
RE: Blizzard display CVs - 4/25/2020 6:24:34 PM   
eskuche

Check the manual. I think there is a flat CV reduction on counters that only partially reflects the blizzard malus. Also the defending CV drop on battle screen accounts for fort destruction always.

(in reply to BrianG)
Post #: 4
RE: Blizzard display CVs - 4/25/2020 7:31:19 PM   
morvael

Most of Axis ground elements become disrupted before firefight starts, that's why their CV drops so much. In the same ways rivers are handled in this game.

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 5
RE: Blizzard display CVs - 4/25/2020 7:38:24 PM   
eskuche

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvael

Most of Axis ground elements become disrupted before firefight starts, that's why their CV drops so much. In the same ways rivers are handled in this game.

So really the blizzard is just a big frozen Russian river flying in the air...makes sense.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 6
RE: Blizzard display CVs - 4/25/2020 9:03:57 PM   
chaos45

see I knew there was some rule that reduced german units in winter, so many rules in this game its always hard to remember specifics....

Its one reason that in blizzard even when losing the Soviets can win as each loss also uses up supply/ammo and causes weather damage to the German units you are forcing to fight....so after several turns of this even decent german units can be worn down.

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 7
RE: Blizzard display CVs - 4/26/2020 9:13:13 AM   
tyronec

quote:

I thought Mountain units were exempt from all Blizzard effects.
'With the exception Finnish units as well as all Axis Ski and Mountain units of any nationality are not affected by any first winter rules.'

Two more battles from the current turn, that is 5 battles in a row where Mountain troops under Model have had significant hits to their CV in combat. They are in good supply, two hexes from the Corps and Army HQ and only moderate advance bombing and GS from the Soviets.
Maybe I have just been unlucky but it looks like their display CVs are higher than their combat CVs for some reason.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 8
RE: Blizzard display CVs - 4/26/2020 12:59:07 PM   
chaos45

A couple notes on these battles that CV doesn't accurately ever show----quality of quantity. The Odds system gives a weight to numerical superiority that isn't accurately reflected in initial CV...you will notice you were outnumber 5:1+ this alone is usually an odds shift or two on the final calculations from what I have noticed over the years. Basically they just have so many more men to fire at you, and to absorb your much fewer shots that they end up with many more combat effective squads at the final calculations phase of the battle.

Also you have no artillery support at all and the soviets actually brought some pretty heavy artillery support to bear in both battles. The BM howitzers are 200+ mm if I remember right and it also looks like regiments of 152mm from the soviet side...so your troops are taking a heavy shelling in the initial phases of the battle before they even get to start shooting...most likely reducing your combat effectiveness early in the firefights.

In the second battle you weren't even in forts so that artillery most likely worked your troops over pretty heavily before the main fight even started.

In the scope of the system pretty predictable results if I was a soviet attacker. He has you 5:1+ in men, and 7:1+ in artillery....and you aren't heavily fortified...those should be sure soviet wins without massive commander failures/successes giving miracle CV shifts. As well his artillery support is way better than yours...thus in the long range shooting the Soviets should have inflicted much more damage/disruption...you need heavy forts to avoid this as a defender when heavily outnumbered.

If the game goes to 1943 on you will quickly find that German infantry units not fortified are just easy wins against soviet attacks, as the weight of artillery and manpower makes the actual initial CV only matter if the Germans have lvl 2 or 3 forts to help mitigate the artillery.

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 9
RE: Blizzard display CVs - 4/26/2020 1:02:23 PM   
BrianG

Model has not been preforming up to his usual quality. Maybe he needs a promotion.

possible factors:

Maybe these are not the 'true' mountain divisions. But I do see them as strong from my side.

My troops which attacked them were in excellent supply having done little fighting waiting for the river to freeze near Rostov.

It is normal heavy blizzard and you had no support units attached to the defense. (At least as to the 2 you showed above).

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 10
RE: Blizzard display CVs - 4/26/2020 2:10:42 PM   
redrum68

Maybe show the battle details? To see if there is a lot of disruption from something?

(in reply to BrianG)
Post #: 11
RE: Blizzard display CVs - 4/27/2020 3:07:07 PM   
tyronec

quote:

Maybe show the battle details? To see if there is a lot of disruption from something?

Here are the combats from this turn as requested.
Model defending has always seen a reduction in CV, 8 in a row now.
Model attacking has always seen an increase in CV, think that is about 5 in a row.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tyronec -- 4/27/2020 3:10:38 PM >

(in reply to redrum68)
Post #: 12
RE: Blizzard display CVs - 4/27/2020 3:07:57 PM   
tyronec

Second half, for some reason it wouldn't post the usual way

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tyronec -- 4/27/2020 3:11:07 PM >

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Blizzard display CVs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI