Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1867 Guerre des Frontières Play Test: Hellen v. PO

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> 1867 Guerre des Frontières Play Test: Hellen v. PO Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1867 Guerre des Frontières Play Test: Hellen v. PO - 4/24/2020 7:20:44 PM   
Hellen_slith

New scene (thank you!) commencing a play test and hoping to provide some feedback to design.

First task: download and install, and choose side.

[edit: download / install SUCCESSFUL! I put the .sce file into my pre-WWI folder, then moved the provided Graphics Override files into their folder, and it seems to be working greatly now! I am a klutz at this, so this part of the install was challenging for me ....]

I have chosen to play the Swiss against the PO, and I am giving Elmer PO a +2 "cheat" rating and "strong" intelligence via Player Options. On to the war!

Reading now Scenario Briefing: at issue seems to be the Swiss / French boarder ... I have one of those types of boarders, I wish he would leave. When I gain full access to this property, I plan to evict. ONWARD!!

Re: game goal: find and destroy the opponent HQ. Not sure what means PBM "Cheyenne" mode ... but so far (still on turn 1 Swiss ... interesting scene!

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 4/26/2020 7:01:25 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: 1867 Guerre des Frontières Play Test: Hellen [Swiss... - 4/24/2020 7:48:38 PM   
Hellen_slith

I have located and contacted HQ Brunet ... I seem to be French now.
Not sure what happened, I thought I was Swiss. No matter. Lots of map, lots of opportunity for movement, it seems.
We shall see!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: 1867 Guerre des Frontières Play Test: Hellen [Swiss... - 4/24/2020 7:57:39 PM   
Hellen_slith

First impression: lots of map, not many units. Not sure if the scale is right, but ... let's carry on.

Have a look at this Logiste unit: I like the idea. Not sure what the little wheel means, but I see that this unit carries a secondary icon of "supply" ... going to keep that one close to HQ. Could come in handy, I think....

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3
RE: 1867 Guerre des Frontières Play Test: Hellen [Swiss... - 4/24/2020 8:01:58 PM   
Hellen_slith

Getting back now into formation of that Brunet Corps ... leads me to think: too much map, not enough units. The unit formation is very light as far as number of people in the units in this formation.

Post #: 4
RE: 1867 Guerre des Frontières Play Test: Hellen [Swiss... - 4/24/2020 8:39:14 PM   
Hellen_slith

Swiss PO has moved. Not sure what Elmer has up his sleeve, but some more FR reinforce has appeared. Several city / town hexes available for me to dig in to, still get the feel of too much map, not enough units. we shall see what next move brings. I thought I was Swiss, but confirmed I am French. Awaiting contact.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
RE: 1867 Guerre des Frontières Play Test: Hellen [Swiss... - 4/25/2020 3:57:11 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hellen_slith
I have located and contacted HQ Brunet ... I seem to be French now.
Not sure what happened, I thought I was Swiss. No matter. Lots of map, lots of opportunity for movement, it seems.
We shall see!

I had something similar happen the first time I started the scenario. After that, worked fine for all the PO settings. Maybe it has something to do with the way I saved the sec file . . . mystery to me.

When all troops are deployed should be about 280 to 300 individual units on the board. The map needs to be big in order to accommodate all of the deployment combinations.

Regards

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post #: 6
RE: 1867 Guerre des Frontières Play Test: Hellen [Swiss... - 4/25/2020 11:43:17 AM   
Hellen_slith

Ah, ok, I figured I just pressed the wrong button. No matter ... @French turn 4: The battle is joined!

The (computer controlled) Swiss ambush some infantry of Dupont brigade and inflict minor casualties (6 infantry lost) north of Audincourt.

I've taken off "fog of war" on this go to get a better idea of what's happening.

I see now the Swiss HQ that is my objective. The "point" objectives are both in off-map areas so it is not an option to "go for points" ... need to get that Corps Commander! This looks like a nice "beer and pretzels" scene!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 7
RE: 1867 Guerre des Frontières Play Test: Hellen [Swiss... - 4/25/2020 11:11:50 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

First impression: lots of map, not many units. Not sure if the scale is right, but ... let's carry on.

Hopefully you will find that the unit density is more than it first appears. The screen shot below is from a test I ran earlier. On the map are about 120 units, however, these units are mostly stacked. Total maneuver units are actually 280 to 300, or about double what is visible on the screen.

Maybe after enough beer and pretzels the unit density will appear a bit better. Or, since you are playing the French, after some good Bordeaux and escargot.

Regards, RhinoBones

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Post #: 8
RE: 1867 Guerre des Frontières Play Test: Hellen [Swiss... - 4/26/2020 12:48:56 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

From your screen shot the French attack & defend values seem to be wrong. I wonder if the scenario isn’t pulling unit data from the stock TOAW equipment file. This scenario is played with the custom equipment file provided.

In the Graphics Override folder please check the 1867 folder for an equipment file dated 4/22/2020. The screenshot shows nominal attack and defend values for French units. Three panels show the unit details. The fourth panel is a view of the force editor for Infantry & Support Troops.

If you’re not seeing this, then I have a rather big problem to solve.

Regards

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:

Post #: 9
RE: 1867 Guerre des Frontières Play Test: Hellen [Swiss... - 4/26/2020 3:43:59 PM   
Hellen_slith

Okay, I will check that unit and get more screenshot of that for you. Looks like I have the .eqp file in the right folder, but it may very well be that I am just a klutz and not sure exactly how to do that ... in the meantime, here is latest report for me:

now at turn 9 for the French ...
we've gotten through the night-time rest period
(can move forces, but not encroach or attack during the night hours)
I sent my cav and another brigade along a road in the woods as far as I could toward Elmer's HQ during the night.

My HQ is based in Hiringue and has 0 move points, so I have to defend him where he be.
Elmer's HQ is on the other side of the map, in Chevenez ...
which is still about 6KM away from my forward cav unit,
but close enough that I should be able to engage his HQ during this (game-time) day of turns.

Once you get used to the time scale and the map scale and unit scale, is pretty fun to try to get around this map.
Nice change of pace from the WWII slugfests.

Okay, well, going to try to get through this one today ...
Elmer moves pretty quick, takes maybe 1 or two minutes at most for him to "do his stuff" ... and takes me maybe five or ten minutes on my turns.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 10
RE: 1867 Guerre des Frontières Play Test: Hellen [Swiss... - 4/26/2020 3:51:40 PM   
Hellen_slith

Here is a similar unit, is this what I should be seeing? Looks the same as your screen shot. Anything else I might look for?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 11
RE: 1867 Guerre des Frontières Play Test: Hellen [Frenc... - 4/26/2020 4:07:52 PM   
Hellen_slith

@Fr. turn 10:

Disaster at Hirsingue!!
Elmer has gotten to my HQ the fastest with the mostest.

My cav / infantry is still a good 4km away from Chivenez ...
and getting shredded by his forward defenses. Rain / mud is not helping there.

No help for my HQ, it must stand with the troops there that it gots.

<shakes tiny fist at Elmer!!!>

Attachment (1)

Post #: 12
RE: 1867 Guerre des Frontières Play Test: Hellen [Frenc... - 4/26/2020 4:35:09 PM   
Hellen_slith

AUGHHHH!!!! I am defeated.

Elmer has prevailed on his turn #10.

Like I say, he was the fastest with the mostest,
and it took him only two turns to destroy my HQ there at Hirsingue.

I guess I need to dial back his "intelligence" and "cheat mode"
(I set him at "strong" intel and a +2 cheat.)

Not sure if the .eqp file was right for me, I am not too familiar w/ that stuff,
but I did have the .eqp file in the right place, I think.

Well, anyway, like I say this is a pretty fun scene,
a nice change of pace, took me a turn or two to get used to the scale,
but ... will definitely try this one again!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 13
RE: 1867 Guerre des Frontières Play Test: Hellen [Frenc... - 4/26/2020 5:09:11 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

Appreciate the AAR. Thank you. I’m heartened that you found it a pleasant change of pace. You might want to fire it up again a few times just to get a feel for how the objectives (Corps HQs there are 10 of them) and maneuver brigades (there are 50 of them) vary from game to game.

Your screenshot of the Force Editor shows the correct equipment file being used but I’m still baffled by the attack/defense values. No way can an engineering unit have a defense of 99. Something is wrong and I appreciate that you have identified the problem.

Once again, thanks.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:

Post #: 14
RE: 1867 Guerre des Frontières Play Test: Hellen [Frenc... - 4/26/2020 6:59:31 PM   
Hellen_slith

Yes, well thank YOU for creating this scene. After playing it (once) I do want to try it again.

As far as the Engineer unit and 99 defense, I have "stack defense" showing, so that unit is not really 99, I don't think, it was the entire stack value.

I do like the suggestion of using the modified map (like in your screenshot) giving the scene more of an "old school" table top feel.
But, I don't know much about modifying that, I tried one modification, but it was too "bright" for these old eyes (gave me the shim-shams eyeball too much light) so I keep the map on the standard, not so bright ("duller") view to ease the brightness. Will try it again on next go with a modified map view (and will try Swiss side next time, too, against same "intel strong" and +2 for Elmer. Don't want to change too much b/w tries.

Just started another go at this, I think that at first try, I was confused and wound up w/ French, this time I paid more attention and computer does have French this time (is moving his turn 1 now.)

Also, still curious, what is "Cheyenne" mode you mentioned in briefing?

Okay, well, this time I am Swiss and computer is moving French for his first turn, and this time I have borders OFF and FOG "on" to make it even more challenging. I will try to last more than 10 moves this time! Thanks again!

Thanks again!

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 15
RE: 1867 Guerre des Frontières Play Test: Hellen [Frenc... - 4/26/2020 7:09:08 PM   
Hellen_slith

Okay, try #2: I am Swiss this time, have an idea of how the scene plays, so I am going to try to teach Elmer a lesson this time (LoL)

Elmer as France has completed his first turn, I have all borders OFF and fog ON this time, and here is opening set up.
The Dattrino Korps seems to be key formation for me to defend, so I'm going to first get him dug in,
then going to go find Elmer and spank him this time for that beat down he gave me as French that last go!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 16
RE: 1867 Guerre des Frontières Play Test: Hellen [Frenc... - 4/26/2020 8:57:06 PM   
rhinobones

The board game mod can be downloaded from the “Mods” section under the heading “Best of both Worlds”. Credit goes to Cabido for his excellent work and to Telumar for consolidating and uploading the complete package. Download and follow the instructions to copy files into the 1867 Guerre des Frontieres Beta Graphics Override folder. Just be sure not to overwrite the two Numbers and two Counternumber files supplied with the scenario. If there are any problems, I can help you get it working

There are some special instructions for “hills” being displayed, but I don’t think we need to worry about that. My installation seems to work simply fine without the hills.

In the language of the American Indian Cheyenne tribe, the word Cheyenne translates into “human being”. So, when I use the term Cheyenne game it’s to mean a PBM game between two human opponents. Just a personal quirk of mine.

Regards

Colin Wright:

Post #: 17
RE: 1867 Guerre des Frontières Play Test: Hellen [Frenc... - 4/26/2020 10:09:23 PM   
Hellen_slith

Ah, ok, well, I am going to keep the map as is for now, before I delve into Cabido's mod...
I have tried that mod, but like I say, i have found it to be too "bright" for my eyes...

I have seen the hilltops on the map, am planning to utilize those for "lookouts" this go if I can...
atm, I am still ruminating on what I might do to "stymie" the PO this time,
knowing now a bit more about Elmer's "proclivities" from the last go,
I hope that that will help me in this game.

so far I am just going to dig in my HQ with another brigade, try to see what PO does,
then send out "feelers" and try to find Elmer's HQ and slam it .....
and try to fight him off while I feel out his defenses,
maybe if I find him I will then send out the "shock troops" ....
We shall see!! This is probably a bad plan,
b/c I get the feel that whoever gets there with the mostest w/ the fastest,
that is the key for the scene. Still feeling it out here, though.

Great scene, btw, the more I play it the more I like it!

s

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> 1867 Guerre des Frontières Play Test: Hellen v. PO Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI