There is a way to cheat in PEBM games

Post here to meet players for PBEM games and generally engage in ribbing and banter about your prowess.
sad ham

There is a way to cheat in PEBM games

Post by sad ham »

Well, I've tried this game several times and discovered a bug into the system that offers the opportunity to have a big advantage everytime, expecially when fog of war is used.
The trick is simple (and I dunno if anyone else already talked about it in this forum; in case I apologize):

When you play the turn you can do every azardous move you want; do not care if you loose units, just use your move to discover every hidden unit on the map, engage every combat you want and take note where you loose and where you win. This turn is only the pre-turn of what you will do next. Take note of everything, then, when you have done, do not click the "end of turn" button, but make crash the game instead, using the "end the app" in the window you see in the image. Restart the game and do your definitive move. Of course you will do it taking in consideration all the informations you got during the pre-turn, knowin already where the enemy units are, and having already tested every combat. You are always sure to win or, at least, not to loose, and in case the crucial combat had not gone as you did wish, you can repeat the procedure until you get the desired result. You can repeat the procedure an infinite number of times, until you click on the "end of turn" button, because it is only at that time that the game is saved on the server and you cannot modify it anymore.
That is the trick and this is the reason why I will not play again PEBM with fog of war, that can be easily avoided using this trick, until this bug is fixed.

PS: i discovered this bug because my opponent always knew where my strong units were avoiding them, and he always knew where to hit my weaks ones. This suspect I had when after 20 in a row turns, I was never winning a single combat, while my opponent never did a mistake.

Attachments
1f15b3d76d..bed1d5ec.jpg
1f15b3d76d..bed1d5ec.jpg (38.1 KiB) Viewed 179 times
BillRunacre

RE: There is a way to cheat in PEBM games

Post by BillRunacre »

Anyone doing what you've suggested on a regular basis will find themselves being contacted by Slitherine, as stats are collected and repeated crashes and replays are flagged up. Therefore it's not a good idea to do this because it will get found out.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Fafnir

Post by Fafnir »

In the battlefront version was a counter which showed if and how many times a PBEM turn was re-loaded. Maybe this can also be implemented here?
So the opponent would see if a turn was download more then once. Another option would be to send an email to both players if this happend.
sad ham

Post by sad ham »

ORIGINAL: Fafnir

In the battlefront version was a counter which showed if and how many times a PBEM turn was re-loaded. Maybe this can also be implemented here?
So the opponent would see if a turn was download more then once. Another option would be to send an email to both players if this happend.

This would be a nice idea. Anyway we can't accuse someone without certain proof, and there are times when there can be computer or internet connection malfunctions very frequently.
The best system would be one where such action was prevented.
Taifun

Post by Taifun »

Very nice idea. This game needs a counter to show the re-loads. I love this game but this is a mayor issue that needs to be solved!
La clé est l'état d'esprit

Return to “Multiplayer (PBEM and head to head)”