Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Supply Question (No Bobo please)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Supply Question (No Bobo please) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Supply Question (No Bobo please) - 4/23/2020 8:50:48 PM   
Q-Ball

Howdy! I have a supply question playing as the Empire. It's about Burma.

Situation: It's July 1942. I have alot of troops in Burma, about 9 Divisions worth. We have some bombing going on, and fighter sweeps, but not much bombardment. Some airfields under construction. Stuff that uses supply.

So, I've been shoveling supply into Rangoon. TONS of it. Probably 200K at least over the last month. But it doesn't seem to be accumulating in Burma. The needle is barely budging; a couple bases are perpetually RED, particularly Katha and Myiktinya.

Supply in Singapore does, however, appear to be rising; 60K at last count. It's a quiet backwater. Southern Area Army HQ is actually in Mandalay.

Is all that supply I am shoveling into Rangoon just sloshing back to Singapore? Does that happen?

Or is it possible that all those troops and activity are actually burning that much?

If it's moving back to Singapore, anything I can do to prevent that?

Thanks!!!!!

Post #: 1
RE: Supply Question (No Bobo please) - 4/23/2020 9:14:21 PM   
Leandros

Nine divisions+ do burn a lot of supplies..RED is relative to how much supply each base is supposed to have. That you can adjust yourself on the base form.

Fred

< Message edited by Leandros -- 4/23/2020 9:15:08 PM >

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 2
RE: Supply Question (No Bobo please) - 4/23/2020 9:58:34 PM   
GetAssista

This piece of info might clear things up for you, from here https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2601303&mpage=1
quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse
Monsoon Effects (May 15 – Oct 15)

Monsoon affects base supply in Burma region. It does not affect weather in the game.
The main bases affected are the north Burmese ones north of Mandalay and the Assam bases east of Terapo plus Akyab and Chittagong.

The way the new restriction works is that the amount of supply a base can receive per day is X x (Port+AF+Fort) so a base that is a trail base with no main road or rail connection may have a value of 50 say it starts as port 0, af 0, fort 3 then that means the base can receive 50 x 3 or 150 tonnes of supply per day over the jungle trails.

During the monsoon season all bases are reduced to 50% of normal capacity therefore the base will only receive 75 tons per day by land.

Thus the little un-built up bases cannot sustain huge forces

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 3
RE: Supply Question (No Bobo please) - 4/24/2020 6:14:24 AM   
Yaab

Q-Ball, surplus supplies accumulate on their own in the base with biggest port in a given economy. If two bases have biggest ports, supplies go to the base with a bigger airfield.

Several Jap players noted that supplies dumped in Rangoon (port 4) trickle to Singapore (port 9).

You can:

-set supplies in Rangoon to stockpile. Once you have a big stash (30k), set supplies spinner in Mandalay to + 10k and stockpile to ON, and disable stockpiling in Rangoon. This should pull Rangoon supplies to Mandalay and make it sit in Mandalay. From Mandalay the supplies should be distributed to te units in field. Repeat the process ad infinitum.

-is the HQ in Mandalay a command one? A command HQ can attract 20k supplies to itself at all times. I would park a command HQ among your 9 diviisons in a non-base hex and see if it helps with supply distribution.

And read this thread.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2780376&mpage=1&key=�

< Message edited by Yaab -- 4/24/2020 6:34:00 AM >

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 4
RE: Supply Question (No Bobo please) - 4/24/2020 11:45:29 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Howdy! I have a supply question playing as the Empire. It's about Burma.

Situation: It's July 1942. I have alot of troops in Burma, about 9 Divisions worth. We have some bombing going on, and fighter sweeps, but not much bombardment. Some airfields under construction. Stuff that uses supply.

So, I've been shoveling supply into Rangoon. TONS of it. Probably 200K at least over the last month. But it doesn't seem to be accumulating in Burma. The needle is barely budging; a couple bases are perpetually RED, particularly Katha and Myiktinya.

Supply in Singapore does, however, appear to be rising; 60K at last count. It's a quiet backwater. Southern Area Army HQ is actually in Mandalay.

Is all that supply I am shoveling into Rangoon just sloshing back to Singapore? Does that happen?

Or is it possible that all those troops and activity are actually burning that much?

If it's moving back to Singapore, anything I can do to prevent that?

Thanks!!!!!

200k over the course of a month is wholly inadequate.

You should be delivering 200K per delivery at a minimum of once per week.

Hans

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 5
RE: Supply Question (No Bobo please) - 4/24/2020 12:16:41 PM   
ITAKLinus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Q-Ball, surplus supplies accumulate on their own in the base with biggest port in a given economy. If two bases have biggest ports, supplies go to the base with a bigger airfield.

Several Jap players noted that supplies dumped in Rangoon (port 4) trickle to Singapore (port 9).

You can:

-set supplies in Rangoon to stockpile. Once you have a big stash (30k), set supplies spinner in Mandalay to + 10k and stockpile to ON, and disable stockpiling in Rangoon. This should pull Rangoon supplies to Mandalay and make it sit in Mandalay. From Mandalay the supplies should be distributed to te units in field. Repeat the process ad infinitum.

-is the HQ in Mandalay a command one? A command HQ can attract 20k supplies to itself at all times. I would park a command HQ among your 9 diviisons in a non-base hex and see if it helps with supply distribution.

And read this thread.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2780376&mpage=1&key=�

Movable command HQ are the 5th fleet and the southern command HQ.

I tend to place the southern in Magwe for various reasons and it works well with an army comparable to the one indicated here in the thread.

Also, I never ever defend bases in Burma, placing all my guys in non base hexes and hoping for the best.

As i wrote in the ongoing thread on the monsoon, I think that off-base defence in Burma is more viable, supplywise, than in-base defence. I don't even have a precise rationale for that, I just know it works perfectly for me and has always done so.

I don't even ship much. In the last 6 months, I have shipped the equivalent of little more than 200k supplies.
Even rounding up the numbers, it's 35-40k per-month, basically nothing in the great picture of things.

I have probably way more AAs in the theatre than the ones Q-Ball has (45 in total, of which 25 in magwe)

Francesco

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 6
RE: Supply Question (No Bobo please) - 4/24/2020 1:46:22 PM   
jdsrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

He’s playing as Japan and it’s 1942, not as the allies in 1944!

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no CrackSabbath): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 7
RE: Supply Question (No Bobo please) - 4/24/2020 2:10:54 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdsrae

quote:

I pump that and more into Rangoon in '42 as the Allies.

Only hope of getting supply to China before the road is cut.

Hans

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 8
RE: Supply Question (No Bobo please) - 4/24/2020 5:52:53 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdsrae

quote:

Yeah, I think the whole Empire doesn't produce 200K supplies in a week, so that's probably not happening!

Good advice on here everyone, appreciate it! I'll try some stockpiling in Rangoon, seems like I can store it there until the Monsoon lifts

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 9
RE: Supply Question (No Bobo please) - 4/24/2020 8:07:54 PM   
Lowpe

Burma is a giant trap for the IJA most times, the only compelling thing there is oil at Magwe and cutting the Chinese road. But as the war drags on it demands more and more troops and planes, with the threat of a Tavoy area landing incredibly high. It is not uncommon to have 20 divisions there in a scenario 2 late game.

To get supplies there the old fashioned way, the Rahaeng triangle of bases should be expanded to the normal limit and perhaps given the game Uttaradit to over limit. If, I had to, I might put a command HQ there, but almost never would I put one in Burma itself. Normally I get engineers moving there day 1 of the war.

On the base screen it reports something like "Supply(max170)". Well during a monsoon that is all that base will pull, even if on a railroad line. This is one reason why troops in the field have an easier time pulling supply (a very simplistic generalization though). As pointed out increasing the base size will increase the max number.

Setting those forward bases to stockpile is essential. And of course out of monsoon season you can have them stockpile to their wastage limit.

Having supply convoys running into Rangoon, while it is safe is perhaps beneficial perhaps mandatory. Just watch your stockpile and supplies required levels to insure it goes pretty much where you want it to go.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/24/2020 8:11:38 PM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 10
RE: Supply Question (No Bobo please) - 4/24/2020 8:16:44 PM   
Q-Ball

If it wasn't for China, it would be much easier to bail on Burma.....can live without the Oil.

But if the China road opens, the Allies can pump in massive amounts of supplies, set all the Chinese to accept replacements, and create a massive 30,000 AV horde that will overrun SE Asia. No thank you!

Unless I am missing something, that's the stakes in Burma. It might be worth it to create a fortress in the mountains at Paoshan to delay the road opening as long as possible if Burma falls, even if that means losing the troops.

Any advice on Burma appreciated! It looks like the best course is to set-up a line of units in the JR terrain along the Indo/Burma border, but even that can be punched open by the Allies eventually, or bypassed by a Tavoy landing

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 11
RE: Supply Question (No Bobo please) - 4/24/2020 10:21:31 PM   
Lowpe

Chinese troops simply don't excel at attacking, especially if your forts are 4+ in x3 terrain. There are plenty of these hexes to fight in, and you have restricted divisions that should be digging in there now for the coming deluge.

With Burma having a ready reserve consisting of at least 2 divisions in the rear and some air mobile units for fast deployment along with a fire brigade of armor to hold a position while an organized fighting retreat works wonders. I always end up, or almost always, having the 1st and 2nd Tank Divisions fighting there along with lots of 15cm or better artillery and several AA regiments with good guns and radar.

You can even hold in clear terrain if you build your defense correctly.

Anyhow, maneuver is key, having interior lines (especially the rails) are a lifesaver. For example a trick Alfred taught me is using smallish units to cut Allied lines of advance in 1944.

Barring a naval invasion, Burma to Chiang Mai/Rahaeng is one of the most advantageous areas for Japan to wage a ground war against the Allies.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 12
RE: Supply Question (No Bobo please) - 4/25/2020 4:15:06 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

If it wasn't for China, it would be much easier to bail on Burma.....can live without the Oil.

But if the China road opens, the Allies can pump in massive amounts of supplies, set all the Chinese to accept replacements, and create a massive 30,000 AV horde that will overrun SE Asia. No thank you!

Unless I am missing something, that's the stakes in Burma. It might be worth it to create a fortress in the mountains at Paoshan to delay the road opening as long as possible if Burma falls, even if that means losing the troops.

Any advice on Burma appreciated! It looks like the best course is to set-up a line of units in the JR terrain along the Indo/Burma border, but even that can be punched open by the Allies eventually, or bypassed by a Tavoy landing
'

It isn't just Tavoy. Moulmein and Pegu can both be built to level 9 (immortal) AFs. Defense at the 56, 42 hex is very effective. You need to protect Rangoon and Pegu and Moulmein and even Cox's Bazar

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 13
RE: Supply Question (No Bobo please) - 4/25/2020 12:42:21 PM   
RangerJoe

Don't forget Ramtree Island, that island next to Burma. Supply there can make it inland to support operations in Burma.

< Message edited by RangerJoe -- 4/25/2020 12:45:01 PM >

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 14
RE: Supply Question (No Bobo please) - 4/25/2020 1:22:09 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

'

It isn't just Tavoy. Moulmein and Pegu can both be built to level 9 (immortal) AFs. Defense at the 56, 42 hex is very effective. You need to protect Rangoon and Pegu and Moulmein and even Cox's Bazar

+1

Red are targets of air drops after the first base in range falls. Sometimes there are airdrops on the rail line above Pegu.

Invasions below Tavoy will cut the Singers rail line, but you will most likely have time to evacuate from Burma in good order.

Once Allied tanks make it to the Thai plains, it is Katy bar the door until the Vinh line.

Of course you need to understand the enemy and if they are the type of player that will attempt such an undertaking.

PS, I can never pull off a graphic without at least one mistake.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/25/2020 1:30:36 PM >

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Supply Question (No Bobo please) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI