Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Soviet Reserve Armies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Soviet Reserve Armies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Soviet Reserve Armies - 4/23/2020 12:25:46 AM   
magic87966

Can someone clarify these reserves that are already in the deploy list? Do they have to be bought? When can they deploy? What is the build time? How many resources do they cost? Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Soviet Reserve Armies - 4/23/2020 12:27:28 AM   
AlvaroSousa

They start appearing each form once you are at war. Each turn there is a chance they finish forming up. These represent the thousands of soldiers who were trained but on reserve.

Games worked on

Designer of the Strategic Command 2 products
- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

Designer of the Strategic Command 3 products
- Map Image Importer

(in reply to magic87966)
Post #: 2
RE: Soviet Reserve Armies - 4/23/2020 12:13:45 PM   
ncc1701e

Why the Soviet Reserve Armies are coming with an Advancement of Assault 1939 instead of Assault 1940 or better Assault 1941?
It is very hard to survive already...

Thanks

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 3
RE: Soviet Reserve Armies - 4/23/2020 2:47:26 PM   
AlvaroSousa

Because they sucked and had crappy weapons and need to be updated. You don't get an uber-army with modern equipment from the start.

The current Barbarossa system plays well. I have been in 4 games so far where each German took a different strategy and the Soviets survived with varying degrees of success from the Axis.

Games worked on

- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

- Map Image Importer

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 4
RE: Soviet Reserve Armies - 4/23/2020 3:02:08 PM   
ncc1701e

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alvaro Sousa

I have been in 4 games so far where each German took a different strategy and the Soviets survived with varying degrees of success from the Axis.

Just to be sure if this is feasible. Did you succeed to save Leningrad and Moscow at the end of 1941?

Am I bad or not?

Thanks

You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

Post #: 5
RE: Soviet Reserve Armies - 4/24/2020 9:14:34 AM   
LiquidSky

I've twice defended Russia....in both cases I felt it was key that I set the initial crappy infantry on the border to limit how far the German supply net moves forward. In both cases I lost a key city on their last gasp push on the last clear summer turn...that I took back over the next couple turns as they couldnt save it. Once it was Moscow when I happened to get the 4 infantry armies I built and plopped them down in Tula, trapping a Panzer corp and killing it.

Once, as the Germans...the Russians disbanded all their infantry at start, and built armour units. Since he had nothing on the front, I attacked in April. Russian Safety Tip: Don't disband your crappy infantry at start.

The key to holding Leningrad is holding the port next to it. If it falls (to invasion or paradrop) then Leningrad is screwed. At the very least plop an HQ in it. Plop 6AA in Leningrad and it will never fall.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 6
RE: Soviet Reserve Armies - 4/24/2020 11:25:36 AM   
ncc1701e

I did not disband any infantry corps and I am sacrifying them the best I can.

But still, I find that the logistics is too good for the Germans especially in Russia. I have played three Barbarossa so far (one Axis, two Allies).
As German, I was not short of any supplies.

The railway repair rate each turn is too quick from my point of view even with a forward defense.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 7
RE: Soviet Reserve Armies - 4/24/2020 11:34:29 AM   
sveint

If anything I find it a bit too easy to defend as the Soviets. Haven't had the Germans reach a historical line in 1941 yet.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 8
RE: Soviet Reserve Armies - 4/24/2020 11:51:05 AM   
ncc1701e

quote:

ORIGINAL: sveint

If anything I find it a bit too easy to defend as the Soviets. Haven't had the Germans reach a historical line in 1941 yet.

I think I am not far here:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4785412

And, for me, logistics was too good for the Germans (scenario is Europe 1941).

(in reply to sveint)
Post #: 9
RE: Soviet Reserve Armies - 4/24/2020 12:04:27 PM   
ncc1701e

And, compare to some other games, there is no distinction between railway capacity in Western countries and in Russia. Same for the road network I should say. The operation points, for each unit, are the same in Russia or in Western countries.

But, really I am new to the game. I would say that, as a first step reducing the railway repair rate should cause more logistics problem to the Germans and help the Russian to resist as historically.

What do the experts out there think?

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 10
RE: Soviet Reserve Armies - 4/24/2020 2:05:17 PM   
AlvaroSousa

In some games I did defend, in others I did not. It was a mix. Overall I am pretty pleased with the balance and unless something seriously stands out it is more likely lack of experience. Even I am still learning my own game.

So here is the deal..... There was one strategy where the Russians simply ran away. It was a 100% successful strategy to thwart the Germans. So I increase rail repair rate from 2 to 3 hexes per turn. The Russians should defend SOME forward to slow down the advance and not just run away 100% of the time never engaging. What was happening was that the Germans would outrun the rail and have to wait and the Russians didn't have to do anything. Then just wave hit them in 1942 and 1942 and tada dead Germany. With the 3 rail repair rate I think that is enough to force the Russians to defend some. Basically all games should hit the historical line or close to it by the end of the year. With the new winter supply penalties and bonuses to winter combat specialization it should allow the Soviets to mount a winter offensive.

Of course more games need testing and since players have varying skill sets it will only be time because full balance is achieved. But it is getting there.

Games worked on

- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

- Map Image Importer

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 11
RE: Soviet Reserve Armies - 4/24/2020 3:34:16 PM   
ncc1701e

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alvaro Sousa

So here is the deal..... There was one strategy where the Russians simply ran away. It was a 100% successful strategy to thwart the Germans. So I increase rail repair rate from 2 to 3 hexes per turn. The Russians should defend SOME forward to slow down the advance and not just run away 100% of the time never engaging. What was happening was that the Germans would outrun the rail and have to wait and the Russians didn't have to do anything. Then just wave hit them in 1942 and 1942 and tada dead Germany. With the 3 rail repair rate I think that is enough to force the Russians to defend some. Basically all games should hit the historical line or close to it by the end of the year. With the new winter supply penalties and bonuses to winter combat specialization it should allow the Soviets to mount a winter offensive.

I understand your decision to counter the runaway strategy but, even respecting the historical pace, I do not feel a logistic problem as German to invade USSR and this was my first attempt.

Will then have to practice more as a Russian player.

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Soviet Reserve Armies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI