Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Monsoon Effects

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Monsoon Effects Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Monsoon Effects - 4/20/2020 6:52:10 PM   
Q-Ball

Couldn't find it in the manual....what are the exact Monsoon effects? IIRC, supply movement is very restricted May through August, or something like that, in Thailand/Burma/Eastern India.

Just wondering

Post #: 1
RE: Monsoon Effects - 4/20/2020 7:25:18 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Couldn't find it in the manual....what are the exact Monsoon effects? IIRC, supply movement is very restricted May through August, or something like that, in Thailand/Burma/Eastern India.

Just wondering

AFAIK it is like the cold weather effects - at least 50% slowdown in movement and construction progress.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 2
RE: Monsoon Effects - 4/21/2020 1:00:45 AM   
CaptBeefheart

I wonder if anyone has actually noticed any effects from the monsoon. I personally have not, but that's not saying much as I haven't been looking.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Monsoon Effects - 4/21/2020 1:06:13 AM   
RangerJoe

Look at supply for units in the jungle, there may be a reduction there.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 4
RE: Monsoon Effects - 4/21/2020 3:51:25 AM   
John 3rd

It is not modeled well. I have tried HR to reflect the actual monsoons but past that I have never really noticed the supposed changes in game.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5
RE: Monsoon Effects - 4/21/2020 3:51:30 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Is that just from reduced flow, or is there spoilage too?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 6
RE: Monsoon Effects - 4/21/2020 4:56:49 AM   
ITAKLinus

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Is that just from reduced flow, or is there spoilage too?

As far as I know, it's both. What I mean is that you have a reduced flow between Base A and B and therefore a reduced flow also for the frontline.

I just lost most of my Magwe OIL because I had no supplies to make the AA shot and the planes fly. On the other side, troops in offbase in the jungle are doing relatively ok since they have the priority in supply distribution.

In general, I believe that it's somehow well modeled if we speak about bases, but it doesn't affect so much troops around in offbase hexes.

This is the most relevant and clear explanations I found:
"No it doesnt show up in weather as I said we did not re write the weather system.

Its purely that for those bases affected when the monsoon hits which in that region is Jan - April the amount of supplys that bases can recieve per day is reduced by 50%

The main bases affected are the north Burmese ones north of Mandalay and the Assam bases east of Terapo plus Akyab and Chittagong.

The way the new restriction works is that the amount of supply a base can recieve per day is X x (Port+AF+Fort) so a base that is a trail base with no main road or rail connection may have a value of 50 say it starts as port 0, af 0, fort 3 then that means the base can recieve 50 x 3 or 150 tonnes of supply per day over the jungle trails.

During the monsoon season all bases are reduced to 50% of normal capacity therefore the base will only recieve 75 tonnes per day by land.

Thus the little unbuilt up bases cannot sustain huge forces

A single Div of 1600 devices consumes about 50 supply points per day if not in combat so you can see the importance of gettign your infrastructure built up along the Assam/Burmese border

A base with a road rail or river connection has a higher X value and so is inherantly more valuable.

Andy
"

Francesco

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7
RE: Monsoon Effects - 4/24/2020 2:00:24 AM   
PaxMondo

Yeah, monsoon effect is there and it is consequential. The only way to address it is to build up bases, which takes supply which isn't moving.

Pax

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 8
RE: Monsoon Effects - 4/24/2020 2:25:42 AM   
RangerJoe

That is what air transports are for.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 9
RE: Monsoon Effects - 4/24/2020 3:36:58 AM   
jdsrae

quote:

But they use supply to move supply.
The only way to avoid supply issues as Japan is not to start the war in the first place.

< Message edited by jdsrae -- 4/24/2020 3:37:57 AM >

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no CrackSabbath): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 10
RE: Monsoon Effects - 4/24/2020 6:56:38 AM   
ITAKLinus

I think the best solution I found has been to put the Southern Command HQ in Magwe, so that I always have supplies there to be used for works and for the huge quantity of AA (and CAP).
Rangoon is the entrance point and it's fine on its own.
Other bases are just moderately defended against paradrops and all the troops are in non-base hexes. Most of the troops are somewhat short of supplies but nobody has ever had more problems than in, for example, China.

The fact is that, as far as I have understood, the monsoon applies to bases. Not hexes. It indirectly leads to a relatively inefficient supplies distribution in non-base hexes as well, but if you have the "stuff which consume stuff" in non-base hexes, you are quite fine.
Also, non-base hexes should, in line of principle, be prioritized in receiving supplies: it means that they are somewhat easier to supply and that, on the other hand, supply problems in your bases are increased.

Francesco

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 11
RE: Monsoon Effects - 4/24/2020 8:03:06 AM   
Alfred

Non base hexes never receive supplies, there is nothing to prioritise.

Alfred

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 12
RE: Monsoon Effects - 4/24/2020 8:50:25 AM   
ITAKLinus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Non base hexes never receive supplies, there is nothing to prioritise.

Alfred

I'm referring to this kind of logic, which I indeed found essential to China's survival (Yaab's first message in the second page):
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2878790&mpage=2&key=supply

To be more basic: I have a lot of units in non-base hexes. They are relatively well doing even with a lot of fights around them.
The few locations defended "in-base" are constantly out of supplies due to the Monsoon.

My understanding is that, since it is always stated that there is a limit to base supplies, overland movement to units in non-base hexes is business as usual, with no -50% due to Monsoon.

Am I missing something?

< Message edited by ITAKLinus -- 4/24/2020 8:51:05 AM >

Francesco

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 13
RE: Monsoon Effects - 4/24/2020 9:07:08 AM   
Alfred

Where do you think those LCUs out in the country get their supplies from?

Units inside a base get first call on that base's supply depot. 

I've addressed in detail elsewhere the malus associated with having LCUs out in the countryside.  There is always a trade off.

Alfred

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 14
RE: Monsoon Effects - 4/24/2020 12:14:11 PM   
Yaab

I have internalised the monsoon info over the years, and only today did I notice that you cannot find word "monsoon" in the manual. Was monsoon info left out of the manual by omission or was it added in a patch?

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 15
RE: Monsoon Effects - 4/24/2020 2:05:16 PM   
Kull

I did a search for any posts from michaelm75au (the coder) containing "monsoon":

1) Monsoon effects are assigned to a base with a field in the editor (i.e. pay attention modders, that means the location of where it applies is not hardcoded).

2) Monsoon effect was added to Aviation Support and Pilot fatigue recovery in a 2011 beta (1108q9)

The second link has a lot of related discussion on the supply element of the monsoon effect

(fyi, apropos of sheer frustration, i am congenitally incapable of typing "monsoon". EVERY time it comes out as "monsson". It is literally impossible for me to type it correctly the first time. We aren't talking about screwing it up in 4 out of 5 or anything but rather 100 out of 100. Kill.me.now.)

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 16
RE: Monsoon Effects - 4/24/2020 2:07:58 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

I have internalised the monsoon info over the years, and only today did I notice that you cannot find word "monsoon" in the manual. Was monsoon info left out of the manual by omission or was it added in a patch?

Here:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Monsoons were implemented in patch 2.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 17
RE: Monsoon Effects - 4/24/2020 2:37:40 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Where do you think those LCUs out in the country get their supplies from?

Units inside a base get first call on that base's supply depot. 
Indeed, as I recall, units inside a base may receive supply ONLY from that base. There was discussion (and player requests) about changing that but the developers decided to keep it that way.

I've addressed in detail elsewhere the malus associated with having LCUs out in the countryside.  There is always a trade off.

Alfred

< Message edited by witpqs -- 4/24/2020 2:38:07 PM >

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 18
RE: Monsoon Effects - 4/24/2020 2:54:01 PM   
Yaab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

I did a search for any posts from michaelm75au (the coder) containing "monsoon":

1) Monsoon effects are assigned to a base with a field in the editor (i.e. pay attention modders, that means the location of where it applies is not hardcoded).

2) Monsoon effect was added to Aviation Support and Pilot fatigue recovery in a 2011 beta (1108q9)

The second link has a lot of related discussion on the supply element of the monsoon effect

(fyi, apropos of sheer frustration, i am congenitally incapable of typing "monsoon". EVERY time it comes out as "monsson". It is literally impossible for me to type it correctly the first time. We aren't talking about screwing it up in 4 out of 5 or anything but rather 100 out of 100. Kill.me.now.)

We can't kill you. You are the one who gave us the Spreadsheet. You gave us hope when there was only chaos of the First Turn. Where there had been darkness, order appeared and WiTP:AE sales picked up considerably. When others were wailing over the loss of the Tutorial, you fortified them with your most Excellent thread. Heil Five!

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 19
RE: Monsoon Effects - 4/24/2020 4:54:02 PM   
pontiouspilot

In my Aussie game (Allies) I voluntarily imposed rule on myself not to move off roads during monsoon season. I was never impressed with whatever limits the game imposed. I have limited it to Burma/Malaya theatre...mainly because I'm too lazy to research weather everywhere!!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 20
RE: Monsoon Effects - 4/24/2020 6:04:46 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdsrae
quote:

I think people tend to underestimate the magnitude of enroute spoilage of supply, because the game does not write it down anywhere. Planes are better means in many situations, it's just that there is not enough of them.

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 21
RE: Monsoon Effects - 4/24/2020 6:16:48 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdsrae
quote:

I think people tend to underestimate the magnitude of enroute spoilage of supply, because the game does not write it down anywhere. Planes are better means in many situations, it's just that there is not enough of them.

Agree completely. I just wish they hadn't nerfed it so heavily. Overland supply movement attrition was brutal in UV.

Hans

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Monsoon Effects Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI