Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

My review

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> My review Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My review - 4/19/2020 7:33:32 AM   
sveint

Before I finalize my review, I'll take some feedback here in case anyone agrees/disagrees.

Summary: An excellent wargame with some flaws

The Great: A playable wargame that doesn't take too much time but still manages to both respect history and ease of play. A rare find.
The French are even well simulated and not just a walkover!

The Good: The map, the units, the "feel". It really feels like you are refighting WW2 in Europe, with good historical limitations.

The Bad: The interface. It's the typical wargame interface, functional but cluttered and unintuitive. Good luck finding out how to merge
units.

The Ugly: If your multiplayer turn fails to upload, guess what: you have to replay your turn. Nope, a local savegame was not kept to
re-upload.

The Wishlist: A global scenario covering the entire world war.
Post #: 1
RE: My review - 4/19/2020 8:29:36 AM   
PanzerMike

The interface does take some getting used to, but I would not call it bad. Could it be improved, yes.

(in reply to sveint)
Post #: 2
RE: My review - 4/19/2020 12:00:52 PM   
sillyflower

The Great - agreed but ? French OP'd as you can't finish them off to historical deadline if you don't attack other countries earlier. Given that you usually can take out the low countries and get a headstart on the french, perhaps that's necessary. However I have had 1 PBEMs now where an opponent (with whom I've played for years) failed to get anywhere 1st time round and 2 where France did not fall before December. ? the repatriation of all but 1 unit from Africa/Syria is too much of an exploit. NB I didn't send any of my own countrymen to help France in any of these games. The other great factor is that the dev is very actively working with the players to continue to improve the game.

The Good - I haven't noticed you being constricted by history in our game. Not a complaint as it's great fun, though landing ships are still too cheap. Perhaps the real problem is caused by the very limited fog of war, so you always know where it is safe to land and to grab an empty port several hundred miles from your nearest unit.Perhaps there should be landing craft with 2 different ranges. 1 short range and 1 unlimited but more expensive. The Yanks managed a long range invasion in N. Africa, but could not have done D-Day the smae way. NB I have not forgotten the Pacific but that was a different ballgame in terms of relevant resources.

The Bad - it took me quite a bit of time to work out how to do invasions but I can't blame the rules for that. Similarly, the 'how to' do things like merger are in the manual. You just have to read it and remember it.

The Ugly - same for all pbem games I've played, and the problem lies with the server host not the game. However, all of them (inc. WP) allow you to save during a turn.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 4/19/2020 2:50:26 PM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to PanzerMike)
Post #: 3
RE: My review - 4/19/2020 5:22:24 PM   
AlvaroSousa

I can't make the interface any simpler. Everything you need is in the menu.

Far right 4th button from the left "?" is the game help.

Almost everything has a tooltip. Naturally some items I missed messaging but these have been fixed. Most players miss this for some reason.

Attachment (1)

Games worked on

Designer of the Strategic Command 2 products
- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

Designer of the Strategic Command 3 products
- Map Image Importer

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 4
RE: My review - 4/19/2020 5:23:02 PM   
AlvaroSousa

And please put a review on Steam for me. It really helps sales and keeps me making more games.

Games worked on

- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

- Map Image Importer

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 5
RE: My review - 4/19/2020 8:09:43 PM   
sveint

I will put on steam, just wanted to get some feedback here first, in case I was being too harsh.

Post #: 6
RE: My review - 4/19/2020 8:44:14 PM   
AlvaroSousa

Just be honest that is all I ask.

Games worked on

- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

- Map Image Importer

(in reply to sveint)
Post #: 7
RE: My review - 4/19/2020 8:52:11 PM   
MorningDew

I don't find the interface challenging and actually find it easy. I think it allows you to get into the game fast, but then you have the fun of trying to master it (which I clearly have not:)).

Post #: 8
RE: My review - 4/19/2020 8:54:41 PM   
sveint

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

The Great - agreed but ? French OP'd as you can't finish them off to historical deadline if you don't attack other countries earlier. Given that you usually can take out the low countries and get a headstart on the french, perhaps that's necessary. However I have had 1 PBEMs now where an opponent (with whom I've played for years) failed to get anywhere 1st time round and 2 where France did not fall before December. ? the repatriation of all but 1 unit from Africa/Syria is too much of an exploit. NB I didn't send any of my own countrymen to help France in any of these games. The other great factor is that the dev is very actively working with the players to continue to improve the game.

The Good - I haven't noticed you being constricted by history in our game. Not a complaint as it's great fun, though landing ships are still too cheap. Perhaps the real problem is caused by the very limited fog of war, so you always know where it is safe to land and to grab an empty port several hundred miles from your nearest unit.Perhaps there should be landing craft with 2 different ranges. 1 short range and 1 unlimited but more expensive. The Yanks managed a long range invasion in N. Africa, but could not have done D-Day the smae way. NB I have not forgotten the Pacific but that was a different ballgame in terms of relevant resources.

The Bad - it took me quite a bit of time to work out how to do invasions but I can't blame the rules for that. Similarly, the 'how to' do things like merger are in the manual. You just have to read it and remember it.

The Ugly - same for all pbem games I've played, and the problem lies with the server host not the game. However, all of them (inc. WP) allow you to save during a turn.

France - yes a human player can put up a better defense than was done historically.

Remote landings - I found it endlessly amusing to imagine the Brandenburgers posing as British sailors and "garrisoning" an empty port in our game. Glasgow was it?

PBEM - No, sorry as a programmer I cannot agree. Nothing stops the game from keeping a local save before uploading. Were this anything but a game this would be completely unacceptable.

< Message edited by sveint -- 4/19/2020 8:55:12 PM >

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 9
RE: My review - 4/19/2020 9:40:25 PM   
sillyflower

Yes it was Glasgow and the surrounding area which made a great POW camp once I worked out how to stop your supplies.

Re PBEM saves, I don't doubt what you say (I know nothing about programming) but I assume that there is a reason why games don't have that autosave. What you need to do is to save manually, then upload. A bit of a fag, but you pays your money and makes your choice.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to sveint)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> My review Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI