Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Korea? Again? Again???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Korea? Again? Again??? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/25/2020 1:57:54 PM   
John B.

But, in this pause, here are my current losses. Very heavy as to be expected.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 61
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/25/2020 1:58:44 PM   
John B.

More losses.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 62
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/25/2020 1:59:19 PM   
John B.

One more loss shot.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 63
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/25/2020 2:00:40 PM   
John B.

But, now we're winning! Now, if Elder Brother would just send a few more armies and another RR repair unit life would be sweet.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 64
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/25/2020 2:37:20 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 33. Sorry, I forgot to take a picture, but not much really happened. I put a Chinese army into Inchon and one in the hex next to Inchon in an effort to take advantage of the relatively high supply values there. The NK army pushed south in the west and dealt with Marc's screen in the east but I resolutely refrained from committing Chinese troops. Their job is to enjoy the fat of the land (to the extent that you can when it's winter in Korea and you're 100 miles from the nearest railhead). My RR engineer failed to repair a hex. This is not an action designed to endear oneself to Most Supercalifragilisticispeyalidocious Leader Kim Il-Sung!!

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 65
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/25/2020 4:51:10 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 34. The People's Court's of Unending Class Justice continue their work in Seoul while the army continues to rest. I moved some of the Chinese armies to areas of better supply to help them recuperate but, so far, there does not seem to be much improvement. The NK make two attacks both of which fail but it was battalion vs. company so I'm not too surprised. And, I push back some recon platoons.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 66
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/25/2020 4:52:44 PM   
John B.

Here is what I can see of the UN deployment. It seems they have a WHOLE LOT of planes in Japan which fits given the amount of interdiction I've been facing.

On the upside, Elder Brother sent another army to help us in our push south.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 67
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/26/2020 2:38:04 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 35. I continue to rest my forces while minor elements of the NK army push their way south. I'm a bit surprised at how long it takes to get my Chinese to at least be out of the red zone. Looks like Marc and I have similar philosophies. Rest up our armies for the next clash. My goal is still to get back into fighting trim and then push south but we'll see if he pushes north first.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 68
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/27/2020 2:08:54 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 37. I may have skipped a turn, sorry. But, the news that brought joy to the Most Wise Kim Il-Sung is that his Proletarian army of Workers and Peasants has, again, liberated Taejon. They did this without Elder Brother's help and the fact that the UN no doubt lies coiled like a snake further south is of no concern right now.

Even Elder Brother's armies have started to move south now that the rail line that way is being repaired. My troops are at least out of the red and have some supplies to it's time to move out. At the same time, I've been fortifying anchorages and VP cities in teh North to prevent last minute UN landings from disrupting our glorious victory march.

The air pirates have become especially annoying!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 69
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/27/2020 8:59:47 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 38. The Chinese army starts to head south as some real american units make their presence felt. Lots of UN airpower and it appears as if there are lots of UN units down by Pusan. I do need to send a Chinese division up to the far NE corner of the board to cover the VP hex there. My goal is to have a fortified Chinese division in each VP hex set at hold-at-all-costs to prevent any last minute UN victory.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 70
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/29/2020 3:12:57 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 39. The Chinese see action for the first time in more than a month as they push back a ROK HQ near Taejon. The US had shown its Imperialist puppet face on the supply point west of the city, but those troops appear to have fled in the face of our vanguards.

The rail line is approaching Taejon so my supply to here is pretty good. But, my troops are still recovering (I've been red for so long the orange looks good to me). Marc is sneaky and up to something!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 71
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/30/2020 12:42:21 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 40. In what is surely a war crime by any stretch of the imagination the UN forces retook Taejon. Give that there are no combat reports it appears that my troops retreated before combat in the face of a commonwealth tank brigade and a US infantry regiment. The relatives of the men who ran away have been summoned to explain the lack of class solidarity exhibited by their kinfolk.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 72
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/30/2020 12:44:25 PM   
John B.

Just a minor attack near Sangju pushing back his recon companies (FYI, Marc has used these recon units very well. I never would have thought to splint them up and use them as a screen).

Meanwhile, the Elder Brother's troops have started to deploy. I want to rest them as much as possible as I'm in the orange zone while intel demonstrates that his troops are back in the light green. I also see Marine units hanging out in Inchon.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 73
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/30/2020 10:57:28 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 41. The Marines have landed, again, at Inchon. You begin to wonder if this all feels like Ground hog day for the pixel devil dogs. :) My main concern is that it appeared to be pretty easy for him to push my fortified Chinese division out of the way. Elder Brother frowned when he learned of this.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 74
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/30/2020 10:58:57 PM   
John B.

Fortunately the next division held. But, now I'm concerned about my defenses at the other locations. Elder Brother did send another army that I can use to reinforce the three VP locations in N. Korea and I had two armies in reserve to move into Seoul. It will be a fight either way.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 75
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/30/2020 11:00:07 PM   
John B.

In the south I was able to destroy a US RCT and push another one back. But, the one in the middle held. I think that US airpower is greatly aiding his defense. Still if Seoul holds I do have a chance to retake Taejon.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 76
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 5/1/2020 12:36:44 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 42. Marc gained another hex advancing towards Seoul but it appears that my NK troops on Tactical reserve saved the VP hex from falling. In the meantime, Marc pushed me back a little in the south. He does not appreciate (a) the inevitable triumph of Communism as dictated by the dialectic and (b) that each time his troops attack me it's yet another war crime. Heavy sigh. :)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 77
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 5/1/2020 12:41:13 PM   
John B.

So this is turning into a two front war. Seoul and the south. Near Seoul I had two Chinese reserve armies and a couple of rested NK units to move to strengthen the line. I'm not attack here yet, as I don't want to weaken my own troops, I need them dug in.

In the South, I had two rested Chinese armies that were able to join the attack. I eliminated a US RCT and pushed him back in a few more places. So, I still have eyes on Taejon. My main problem on this front is that Marc cut the rail line south of Seoul so my supplies are now strained again.

So the question now is whose line will break first? Stay tuned to find out!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 78
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 5/2/2020 12:45:20 AM   
John B.

Liberation turn 43. By committing some unspeakable number of war crimes, the UN lackeys and their marine hirelings managed to conquer the VP point hex at Seoul turning the People's glorious marginal victory into a mere draw. Also, in the southeast the UN pushed on against my thin screen of units.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 79
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 5/2/2020 12:48:31 AM   
John B.

At Wonsan, however, the free people's of North Korea turned back a UN invasion force. The fact that no Chinese were involved in this defense means that Ever Annoying Leader Kim Il-Sung just won't shut up about his glorious troops at communist cocktail parties.

This shows, by the way, how Marc is probing for weak spots. I'm glad he did not try Hungnam in the north and I rushed reinforcements up there. He would not be in supply up there but he could try a hail mary at the end of the game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 80
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 5/2/2020 12:55:15 AM   
John B.

But there is bitter fighting at Seoul! At the end, I had managed to infiltrate his lines from teh south and attack his supporting artillery with NK troops. The artillery retreated to Inchon and then evaporated before combat to a NK AT company! This lucky stroke was compounded by the fact that the massed Chinese armies were able to push the Marines out of Seoul and, with their retreat to Inchon blocked, they went south to the other UN stack. So, those boys are surrounded and I was able to put two Chinese units into the hex next to Inchon. I don't think I can hold that hex as the UN forces are very good and I was not able to dig in very much, but, he is out of supply so when he attacks he should drain his supply level and, hopefully, take a lot of time to push me out. Marc is facing a dilemma because a lot of his shipping capacity is tied up off Wonsan. He can probably swing it back in Inchon, but that's a long way to go.

In the South, I pushed the Turks into a corner (they clearly reformed after the December debacle) and eliminated one salient while pushing back two US RCTs that were in the red.

I decided to commit my fresh Chinese army to the south and moved it that way.

Stay tuned, we're heading to an exciting finish and who knows what tricks Marc has up his sleeve!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 81
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 5/2/2020 5:19:51 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 44. After committing a truely unspeakable number of war crimes the Marines were able to resestablish the link to Inchon (and Marc commented they want a really big memorial since they keep having to retake the town). He also pushed in the south without making significant gains.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 82
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 5/2/2020 5:22:31 PM   
John B.

But, the Glorious People's Armies counter attacked and surrounded the bridgehead in the South. And, in the round of combat that followed this picture the Marines were pushed back into Inchon thus surrounding the UN stack to the east of Inchon again. The Turkish Brigade was wiped out (again) and may not have time to reconstitute before this game ends. But, the Turks really can't be happy about all of their troops that are missing in this war.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 83
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 5/2/2020 5:25:38 PM   
John B.

I did get off attacks on the surrounded stacks and did not eliminate them, but they did suffer very heavy losses. Honestly, right now we're punch drunk boxers hitting each other waiting for the final bell. Can I keep Seoul and the NK towns? Can Marc hang on to Taejon? The issue is still in doubt.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 84
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 5/2/2020 6:43:39 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 45. Well, the UN was able to free its pockets. I don't really have and answer to his armor units. They are hard to dislodge and seem to push me around with some sort of regularity. Most Geriatric Leader Kim Il Sung was not happy with the UN's escaping his traps. Even personally shooting some class enemies was not enough to cheer him up. That's a bad sign. :)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 85
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 5/2/2020 6:45:31 PM   
John B.

Somehow, a Chinese division was able to get into Taejon. I was this close to cutting off the UN to prevent all resupply but I could not push the final hex out of the way. And, the pesky armor unit out there withstood a completely concentric attack and did not appear to suffer any damage at all. I guess I just have to hope that it used up some of its supply.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 86
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 5/4/2020 1:39:03 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 47 (I may have skipped 46). I can't push into Taejon anymore and, in fact, I'm reduced to just trying to keep Marc from linking up in the all consuming battle for Seoul. Last turn, Marc attacked the city (again) and caused about 400 or more losses on my troops. Ugh. I'm overstacked there and he has nothing but firepower and yet, and yet, I saved the hex by the timely intervention of reserves. So, here we are again.

The turn ended before I could take another photo but I attacked the south of his line and Seoul and pushed back two regiments but the Marine regiment held. In more glorious news, the NK air unit attacked the American carrier TF sitting off of Seoul and wiped out about 20 planes. Then, my shore based artillery damaged a destroyer, a BB and a CV. I have no idea what effect this has on those ships, but it sure made the headlines of the People's East Daily!

His troops are all tired and my troops are all tired. Who will give out first?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 87
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 5/5/2020 1:40:52 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 48. This starts of bad with Most Petulant Leader Kim Il Sung complaining about how life is unfair and he doesn't care of the stupid UN and it's stupid Marines take stupid Seoul and stupid P'Yongyang and everything else and then started crying.

As you can see, Marc was able to push into the VP hex at Seoul and make some significant progress in the south. There were a lot of UN attacks and a lot of Communist casualties.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 88
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 5/5/2020 1:42:33 PM   
John B.

But it ain't over until it's over and the fat lady has not yet sung. And, given Communist food policies there are no fat ladies to sing so we can't lose. :)

In the middle of the turn I was able to isolate two of the spearheads in the south and to push through the UN lines south of Seoul.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 89
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 5/5/2020 1:49:13 PM   
John B.

And, as Most Erudite Leader Kim Il Sung would say "mirabile dictu" (Most Classicist Leader Kim Il Sung is nothing if he's not a HUGE Virgil fan). Here are the commies back in Inchon. And, there were at least 6 artillery battalions who retreated before combat out of Inchon.

Serious question for those who design the games, what happens to units that RBC out of a port? Are they dead? Did they sea transport someplace and do they come back? Inquiring minds really want to know to see if Marc can bring them back to provide fire support for the final battles at Seoul.

But, back to the action. Not only are the commies back in Inchon, but I even managed to wipe out an american armored battalion in the south.

Just a few turns left and this is going down to the wire sports fans!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Korea? Again? Again??? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI