Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Korea? Again? Again???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Korea? Again? Again??? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/21/2020 10:15:56 PM   
John B.

I tried one counter attack on the Seoul VP hex and was not able to dislodge the defenders. However, I did break the pocket (for what it's worth) with two attacks and push back to US RCTs in the process. In the West, I like to think that I have a nice marine POW camp going on. He can't attack out of there and I can't attack in, but I really don't need to.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 31
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/21/2020 11:43:51 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 19. We still have some part of South Korea liberated so we're still winning despite what the Capitalist Lickspittle victory conditions say. :) I did push back the ROK regiment in the far west but otherwise my two attacks did not get many anything but weaker troops. A new NK division did show up and it railroaded to just outside of P'Yongyang. And I have a fresh division dug in at Wonsan so we're not done yet.

But, really, it would be churlish of us to claim all the glory when the Elder Brothers can come be in on the kill. Come on in China/Russia the water is fine! :)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 32
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/22/2020 12:50:28 AM   
John B.

Liberation turn 20. More UN illegally ravaging of the Workers and Peasants Army. I did push an armored unit back in the east but otherwise put the fresh division into P'Yongyang and prepared for more death and destruction.

Elder Brother China has devoted some Mig-15s to the cause so I hope that helps out with the UN air support. And, as you can see, snow is making it's way down the Korean peninsula.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 33
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/22/2020 12:40:49 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 21. It still counts as liberation since I still control one hex of S. Korea on the far west coast. :) But, much bigger news, Elder Brother Mao in a show of stunning class solidarity has intervened in the war. As you can see, there are numerous armies that have crossed the boarder.

The turn ended before I could take another picture, but, emboldened by the huge infusion of fresh troops, I took my fresh division out of Wonsan and launched an attack on the east coast and cut off the two UN units (it's the Turkish Brigade and the Greek Battalion (perhaps not the best combination in the same hex)) and drove them with their backs to the sea. It remains to be seen if the UN can rescue them.

Otherwise, the Chinese units moved up and should see action in the next turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 34
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/22/2020 2:24:55 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 22. The Elder Brother Chinese forces move to contact on both fronts. The US, clearly without MacArthur in charge, have run away leaving a screen of ROK forces to take the brunt of the initial assault. Typical capitalists, leave the working man behind while the plutocrats shelter in their bunkers.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 35
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/22/2020 2:27:59 PM   
John B.

Sorry, that was the picture from last turn. Here it is in the middle of Liberation turn 22. I used up all the movement points getting to contact on the West coast but on the East coast I was able to get some attacks in. More UN units (a few ROK battalions) are isolated on the coast and I"m pushing down the road. The ROK regiment in the middle took heavy casualties but held on. I'm sure more will develop as this offensive unfolds!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 36
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/22/2020 6:23:00 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 23. The Chinese forces advance to the UN MLR. Basically the ROK units in the way were dismissed and the pockets along the coast were destroyed. Now the question will be can I force my way through the UN lines? It depends on supply but if I can get four Chinese units on a hex I might be able to make progress. And, the UN does not have a whole lot in the way of reserves.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 37
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/22/2020 9:22:21 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 24. The first round of attacks on the main UN line went ok with some units retreating and some not and getting set up for a second round.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 38
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/22/2020 9:23:36 PM   
John B.

And then, after heavy losses, I failed a force proficiency check for the fist time in the game. Now Marc can reconstitute his line and we'll have to do it all over again. He is in great supply near Seoul so I don't expect too much progress there but it was disappointing in the East.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 39
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/22/2020 11:21:59 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 25. I suspect that this game may be heading towards stalemate. The UN is entrenched and fortified and I had a shot last turn to break the line but the proficiency check ruined it. This turn, I lost a lot of men and made a few units retreat but did not take any hexes. Meanwhile, the rest of his units rest up and resupply. So, next turn I"ll pull back and see what he does. No sense in beating my head against the wall.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 40
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/23/2020 12:06:32 AM   
John B.

This was a turn for strategic reorganization. I, for one, am touched by how the NK troops rushed to the front lines so that their Elder Brother Comrades from China could go to the rear for some R&R.

I am also touched by how China has added another army to the fray. If Marc moves north we'll see if we can't stretch him a bit.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 41
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/23/2020 1:04:46 AM   
John B.

Liberation turn 26. The Chinese dug in as two fresh Chinese armies came to the front. Well have to see if Marc can push me out of my lines. My hope is that he weakens his troops and becomes ripe for a counter attack!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 42
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/23/2020 1:42:33 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 27. The UN hirelings made some penetrations of our MLR near P'yongyang and, for some reason, I had two entire Chinese armies decide to go into civil disorder. I don't think the Great Helmsman is going to be very happy about this.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 43
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/23/2020 1:43:30 PM   
John B.

However, one thing about the Chinese army is that there are always more of them. I launched offensives on both coasts. Here are the results half way through the turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 44
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/23/2020 1:46:48 PM   
John B.

And at the end. I ran out of movement points on the East coast but I also have a fresh army coming up there. On the east coast, it was a pretty dramatic breakthrough. In fact there was one more attack in the West that cleared out the hex with the marine tank company on top. So, Marc has some dangerous bulges to deal with. My main concern for his turn is that he not be able to cut off the divisions in the West. In hind sight I should have moved up my Chinese divisions in the center to tie down some of his troops as he shifts to the two flanks to try to contain my breakouts.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 45
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/23/2020 6:09:08 PM   
John B.

Liberation Turn 28. The rid tide is rising in Korea. Smarter Than Einstein Leader Kim Il-Sung is happy. Here is the situation at the start of the turn. Marc did not attack, but, rather, he pulled back and tried to straighten out his lines.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 46
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/23/2020 6:12:30 PM   
John B.

And, here it is at just about the end of the turn. Progress was made on both flanks, and in the center. I've managed to cut off one stack there in the center and it is unlikely to be rescued unless Marc has some surprise reserves up his sleeve. My troops, however, are starting to get disorganized and tired and they are burning through their supplies. Elder Brother Mao also did not send any fresh troops this turn. I don't know when that spigot will turn off, but it would be nice to see more men head my way.

The NK units are also starting to pitch in again!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 47
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/23/2020 6:16:16 PM   
John B.

Here is an example of the losses Marc has been taken this turn. I've taken more, but the US forces are really taking a pounding right now. In this battle Marc had at least one RCT and one armor battalion destroyed. I think I was also helped this turn because there did not seem to be any air interdiction or combat support (bad weather?).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 48
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/23/2020 7:08:44 PM   
MikeJ19

John,

Thanks for an interesting AAR. I like how you pulled back on Turn 25 - good idea to break the deadlock.

Good luck and have fun!

Mike

Retired Gunner

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 49
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/23/2020 8:38:50 PM   
John B.

Hi Mike, It's always good to see people reading the AARs! Marc was fortified and stacked three high so I had to do something to get him out of his forts and to spread him out. So far, it's working well. It will be a question of how hard I can drive my troops. My hope is the recapture Seoul as that should give me some kind of victory, assuming I can hold it.

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 50
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/24/2020 1:11:38 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 29. Marc tried to get his encircled men out but was not able to do so. Lots of his units retreated before combat so I was able to make some additional gains which reveal that he has pulled back to the narrow neck and, I'm sure, is digging in frantically. Here is is just before my attacks.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 51
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/24/2020 1:15:50 PM   
John B.

The attacks went pretty well. My troops are clearly tired and they've used up their supply stockpiles and, then, arrggghh, a failed proficiency result! So, my own penetrations are now at risk of being cut off. His troops aren't in great shape either but that's the second time this has happened. Most Callipygian Leader Kim Il-Sung has requested the proficiency leaders of the Workers and Peasants Army to come see him forthwith. No no, they don't need to pack any bags, they won't be staying long.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 52
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/24/2020 7:06:06 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 29. Here is the situation just before the start of my attacks. Things look grim for the UN. They have several units completely surrounded and on the Western flank it is basically a giant pocket since I made it to Kaesong. Marc might be able to make it to the anchorage on the little tip of S. Korea on the West coast so I need road blocks in his way.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 53
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/24/2020 7:09:07 PM   
John B.

The attacks did not go quite as well as expected. One pocket was eliminated but two different units held on and caused casualties among my troops. Of course, that won't matter because I get another round and, oh wait, another failed proficiency check. You would think that exhausted, out of supply and disorganized units would be happy to keep pressing forward. :) Still, the UN has a LOT of troops cut off and facing extinction.

Marc may be pulling back to Pusan to try to reorganize and reequip before I can get there. We'll have to see.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 54
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/24/2020 9:48:17 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 30. Here is the situation at the start of the turn. It looks like one of the surrounded groups is breaking for the anchorage as I feared. Given how they've been able to fight there way this far I'm not sure I can stop the. I have two battalions entrenched at the anchorage but he will be able to bring a whole lot of fire support to try to kick me out. I did get in a couple of attacks on those units so they should be at 1% supply and not in great shape as they have been fighting for a long long time. And, if they make it out, you know there will be endless specials on the pixel History Channel about them and their anabasis. :)

But, in better news, Most Flatulent Leader Kim Il-Sung is very happy that Elder Brother's forces have reentered Seoul. All those pixel turncoats who pretended to welcome the Workers and Peasant's Army only to open their arms to the capitalists will now have to pay a steep price.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 55
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/24/2020 9:49:49 PM   
John B.

By the end of my turn the UN pockets were gone and the advance made it into S. Korea on all fronts. If I can take Seoul and Inchon I'll rest my units for at least a couple of turns to resupply and take replacements. This has been a brutal slugfest.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 56
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/24/2020 9:51:44 PM   
John B.

Well, almost all the pockets are gone. Here is the result from the final combat and you can see that the Marine tank company is one Die Hard unit. Everyone else in the hex has been rounded up, but these guys never quit.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 57
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/25/2020 12:35:37 AM   
John B.

Liberation turn 31. We're almost at the end of January. As you can see, the UN forces got next to the anchorage but could not take it. They must be extemely weak. But, I imagine an amphibious invasion could clear the way for him to get those units out.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 58
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/25/2020 12:36:54 AM   
John B.

I really tried to limit my actions to reduce wear and tear on my troops. But, I did take Seoul and make progress towards Inchon which will help supply a great deal.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 59
RE: Korea? Again? Again??? - 4/25/2020 1:55:50 PM   
John B.

Liberation turn 32. I'm very sad to report that the American task force made it to the anchorage and was whisked away. the Maine tank company rear guard held off yet another attack from more than a complete division. I wonder if my lack of tanks is preventing me from pushing these guys around. He also is getting a great deal of short support from the two naval TFs that are right there. In any event, Most Corpulant Leader Kim Il-Sung has ordered a halt to consolidate our forces.

I realize that Marc is also getting a breather, but most of my troops are in the red and low on supplies and they would be subject to extinction if I pushed them down the peninsula right now. So, I've take this turn to get all of my armies/divisions back together and we'll advance slowly for the next few turns to allow for some rest and recuperation.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Korea? Again? Again??? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI