Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HQ range and CV?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> HQ range and CV? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HQ range and CV? - 4/16/2020 5:13:51 AM   
Novaliz

When a division is more than 5 hex away from its corps HQ it does not have a chance to get a SU when fighting. Lets say I have assigned a SU manually to the division and it is fighting more tan 5 hex from its Corp HQ away, are here some other disadvantages like leader checks and CV?
Post #: 1
RE: HQ range and CV? - 4/16/2020 6:28:42 AM   
eskuche

You get only 50% supply - unit is marked as independent. Not as important for infantry as for mech. For Germans, CV only decreases past 4 hexes if the unit is assigned to a non-Corp HQ (11.3.2.3).

(in reply to Novaliz)
Post #: 2
RE: HQ range and CV? - 4/16/2020 1:35:09 PM   
joelmar

it's a little more complicated than that:

1. supply doesn't go through the HQ, but directly from the town/city where the supply and fuel dumps are to the division. That means both more truck usage and less supplies.
2. all IHQ leader checks will fail when the division or brigade is 5 hexes or more from it's HQ. That is true for combat die rolls (morale, initiative and inf or mech ratings) and SU allocation during the action phase. But also MP's allocation and repair of damaged elements during the logistics phase.
3. the division/brigade/Soviet corps will be considered isolated and may have morale drop and/or even has an outside chance of auto-surrender.

So it's a very good idea to keep your units within 5 hexes of their IHQ all the time for the leader ratings, and within 5 hexes/20MP's for supplies.

"So much trouble in the world!" -Bob

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 3
RE: HQ range and CV? - 4/17/2020 1:55:14 AM   
eskuche

@Joelmar,
I'm not aware of whether any or all of the IHQ checks fail if unit exceeds 5 hex/20 MP. Can you please direct me to where this is so? I've empirically seen a lot of halved CV's during combat for out-of-range units, but if all checks fail immediately I'd expect CV to fail way more than a half.

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 4
RE: HQ range and CV? - 4/17/2020 1:43:57 PM   
joelmar

@eskuche

You are absolutely right, I always tend to mix up support squads range and ratings, and I remember being surprised to see a division's CV go up when I added it to a corps 20 hexes away and demystifiying it all... but then clearly forgot. lol. Using the term "Command Range" instead of "support squads range" for that is quite confusing.

But still, support squads are important, they make a huge difference in keeping units at a good battle worthiness. And it also has an effect on admin ratings 7.2.1.1: "If a HQ unit has fewer support squads than its 'NEED' its leader will have their admin skill rating decreased when conducting admin checks (11.3.2.8)."

Also, I wrote that a unit being more than 5 hexes away is isolated! lol... bullshit. But it might not be bullshit if the unit is over 25hexes and 100MP from supply source. And my understanding of the new supply system is that the supply path when a unit is more than 5 hexes from its IHQ must now be counted from the city where the supplies are stocked instead of the railhead as it used to be. That said, I can confirm that isolated units and HQ might now take their supplies from a city not on the supply grid that is much nearer than the railhead

So bottom line... unless you have a very good reason not to do so, keep your units within command range of their IHQ's!!!

"So much trouble in the world!" -Bob

(in reply to eskuche)
Post #: 5
RE: HQ range and CV? - 4/17/2020 11:24:41 PM   
56ajax

Not bs; over 100 mps from supply source = isolation; usually not a happening till the weather changes

If I try to click on the scroll bar of a screenshot one more time I will scream.

Screaming changes nothing.

Biggles Flies Undone

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> HQ range and CV? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI