Cycling units and managing turn

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

TaipanDan

Cycling units and managing turn

Post by TaipanDan »

Enjoying my first Axis game. But I'm having trouble getting a good flow for each turn, often checking and double checking if I've actioned units etc.

I've come from Order of Battle, where there's a great unit listing of all deployed units that you can go through to take you straight to specific aircraft or unit.

Order of battle also has a "sleep" mode where you can sleep a unit for that turn so you know you've finished with it then it's available next turn again. A second sleep mode allows it to sleep "forever".

Problem is with SC the sleep mode stays stuck on in the "forever mode", and the unit doesn't appear in the cycle next turn so it becomes "lost" to me. The "sleep until start of next turn" would be more useful.

Is there a unit listing somewhere in the interface for SC?

Also how does one get around the sleep mode being stuck on? Do you just leave everything off sleep and only sleep the garrisons? Is there a shortcut to turn off all sleeps?
Or do you manage your turns without the cycling buttons just scanning rows of the map?

Anyone use anything like a "turn checklist", do you get all your research, production, dipolomacy done first or do your movement/attacks first?
I'm playing this in between taking care of my 1 year old son by the way, so I don't always get through a whole turn lol sometimes forget where I was up to!
Hubert Cater

RE: Cycling units and managing turn

Post by Hubert Cater »

Hi TaipanDan,

Welcome aboard [:)]

Currently there is no option for a one turn sleep of a unit and no in game list of units either... but I've made a note of this, thanks.

Hubert
TaipanDan

Post by TaipanDan »

Thanks Hubert!

The system used in order of battle is quite good. I've spent some more time with SC and am managing with a visual scan of each battle area, and a notepad of my plans each turn.

Another suggestion from that is when you hold down CTRL to move it can also set "long term movement orders", i.e. on the next turn you can see the path where you intend to send them in future and if you do nothing the unit will move again along that planned path. Although having the ability to "operate" along rail lines negates the need for too much of this.

Loving Strategic command so far it's very addictive, the events system and strategy planning is helping me learn my history a bit better. Will eventually do WW1 as well.
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

I just zoom out the farthest level and look for any flashing roundels.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
TaipanDan

Post by TaipanDan »

ORIGINAL: Taxman66

I just zoom out the farthest level and look for any flashing roundels.

Just tried that again, with Axis the black cross isn't very easy to notice flashing especially if there's a cluster of them.

Italian and Roundels are coloured though which is easy to see the flash.

Probably shot myself in the foot getting a 1440p ultra-wide monitor :) Everything looks tiny! Very nice to game on though

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”