Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Questions and Observations

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> RE: Questions and Observations Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Questions and Observations - 5/24/2020 3:31:26 AM   
willgamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: balto

Willgamer, you mention DC:Barbarossa's AI not playing by the rules. I have not played that beyond belief super great game in years, so I may regret asking - but what are the cheats/advantages of the AI in this?

Thank you,

I copied this from another post where the designer (Cameron) responded-

"Both sides get advantages if AI controlled to overcome the limitations of an AI's lack of strategic vision (AI's are very good at tactics but struggle with big picture strategy unless they have Deep Blue backing them up).

The Soviets main AI advantage is in incresaed activations compared to a human player. The Germans largely get a free pass on their fuel logistics.

They still have requirements to meet and, if cut-off, will fall over just as fast as a player controlled Panzer division would.

The logisitcal mechanics (FSB, trucks and trains) that a German player has to grapple with are, unfortunately, a step too far for an AI to deal with. The processing power required to make intelligent decisions in this area is way beyond what's available in a typical PC. It's a challenge for most human players to keep their Panzergruppes supplied with fuel, let alone for an AI make sense of multiple, interlinking, decision variables in the context of a rapidly advancing front.

Strength wise both sides get a boost for manpower and equipement if AI controlled but it's pretty minor. The German AI still has to rely on the same occasional reinforcement 'waves' as a human German player.

Cheers,
Cameron (designer)"

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 31
RE: Questions and Observations - 5/24/2020 12:40:25 PM   
FMBluecher

quote:

ORIGINAL: KingHalford

However, release is looming. If I was the developer here I might be reluctant to make such a big change to the main branch of the game this late on to cover for this limited set of cases. I think changing how the AI builds roads is going seriouesly affect how the AI plays and that's something that would require some serious testing.

Great point! I'm not expecting things to change for release. But maybe--if and only if Vic thinks it's a good use of his time--we might see this in a patch at some point! And if not, the game still looks great as is, and I think we'll all still have a lot of fun with it.

(in reply to KingHalford)
Post #: 32
RE: Questions and Observations - 5/25/2020 8:26:06 AM   
Saros

Vic has confirmed on the beta forums that he isn't particularly happy with the 'free roads for ai' and the edge cases caused by it like it rebuilding roads to a cut off army every turn. Hasn't said exactly how he will address it though.

(in reply to FMBluecher)
Post #: 33
RE: Questions and Observations - 5/25/2020 11:11:12 AM   
devoncop

This game has fired my imagination like no other recent release and as someone who loves to roleplay my strategy games rather than min/maxing I am already making lists of town and faction names and unit designations for example and therefore have a question....

I envisage creating in time an elite Brigade of Presidential Guard made up of elite and veteran troops only and I am aware there is a filtering the recruitment tab to restrict recruits just to this category . My question is what is the source of such troops ? Are players dependent upon disbanding experienced units at some point or can such troops be trained recruited at will by just using the filter....presumably slower and at greater expense to reflect longer training ?

Thanks in advance for any info...

Ian

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to Saros)
Post #: 34
RE: Questions and Observations - 5/25/2020 11:29:27 AM   
Culthrasa

@devoncop.. from what i've seen you'd have to restrict the units in the field to "regular" and your elite unit set to well "elite" :) the subunits should then move about (within the same class obviously). But I like the idea :) great for immersion indeed!

@saros Good to know! All the faith that Vic will find a solution he's happy with :)

Edit:

Something popped into my mind, so a suggestion: how about the AI can't build a (free) road within say 4 hexes of other units?
This prevents the behavior observed by Palora and would prevent the shenanigans the AI did in the co-op series of Das/tortuga by building a road up north through the gap there, and thereby limiting it's expansion over and above Das in that instance... And 4 hexes is still good supply most of the time and it seems to be the "danger" mechanic too, so not totally without immersion...

< Message edited by Culthrasa -- 5/25/2020 11:56:10 AM >

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 35
RE: Questions and Observations - 5/25/2020 12:08:42 PM   
devoncop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Culthrasa

@devoncop.. from what i've seen you'd have to restrict the units in the field to "regular" and your elite unit set to well "elite" :) the subunits should then move about (within the same class obviously). But I like the idea :) great for immersion indeed!

Yes that would seem logical.

In fact my first faction will be a load of religious nutcases led by a crazed Patriarch so the Guard unit will be the Patrirch Guard rather than Presidential Guard but the point remains

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to Culthrasa)
Post #: 36
RE: Questions and Observations - 5/25/2020 3:20:43 PM   
balto

Willgamer, thank you for the DC:Barbarossa info on AI. To me, those are not gamebreaking advantages. Now if the AI did NOT suffer from being Out of Supply, that would be game-breaking. Shadow Empires "free roads'.., man, that is sort of game breaking, but still getting it and it will still be great.

< Message edited by balto -- 5/25/2020 3:21:42 PM >

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 37
RE: Questions and Observations - 5/26/2020 12:44:23 PM   
Vic

If I dont improve the AI experience before release I'll do it after.

This game will stay on my radar for a long time.

And i'll continue improving it based on player feedback.

I will not of course grant all requests, but i share the sentiment about the roads.

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> RE: Questions and Observations Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI