Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> AAR >> RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 5/14/2020 6:40:05 PM   
The Land

Interesting idea about going for Constantinople! That would be a tough one - what forces can Greece and Serbia make available to do it? Will you be able to take artillery?

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 31
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 5/15/2020 7:17:46 AM   
FOARP

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Land

Interesting idea about going for Constantinople! That would be a tough one - what forces can Greece and Serbia make available to do it? Will you be able to take artillery?

Basically this is a counsel of desperation. I could put the Greeks into the front line against the CP but this would simply delay the inevitable. I haven't been able to save up enough to buy the Serbian artillery unit, so I'm going to have to steal a turn's worth of production from the UK and buy the Greek artillery.

Of course even being able to carry it out is going to require the Serbs holding the line until late 1916 without diverting too much from the Bulgarian operation...

< Message edited by FOARP -- 5/15/2020 7:28:43 AM >

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 32
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 5/19/2020 7:54:14 PM   
FOARP

20 May, 1916, Serbian Front - A mixed bag on this turn, the Central Powers advance near Novi Sad but retreat near Temeschburg. A lucky hit with a bomber destroyed the Albanian detachment which had been withdrawn from the front in Bosnia and which I had not been able to afford to bring up from minimum strength.

On the Western Front the allies make a bit of progress this turn, though in Russia the situation appears dire, with a full-scale breakthrough in place near Rovno. Only the re-opening of Dardanelles promises a reversal of this negative trend.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 33
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 6/30/2020 4:36:56 PM   
FOARP

17 June, 1916, Serbian Front - More losses on this front, this time the British naval contingent was destroyed in a massive Austro-Hungarian push. I've made a modest withdrawal near Valjevo in order to try to stabilise the front.

Elsewhere things remain dire. The Royal Navy has been defeated in the North Sea, with four dreadnoughts lost. Short of US entry into the war it is hard to see what would turned the tide in the West. I'm hoping re-opening the Dardanelles will achieve this in the East, though the Greek artillery is not due to arrive until August so these will be desperate months.

(apologies for taking so long to update this - I've been concentrating on trying to make progress with my mod)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FOARP -- 6/30/2020 4:37:16 PM >

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 34
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 7/31/2020 7:14:42 PM   
FOARP

8 July 1916, Serbian Front - The Tsar has fallen! Meanwhile Romania prepares to enter the war, which means I may have to bring the attack on Bulgaria forward as there is a strong risk that the Central Powers will simply smash through the Romanians when they enter the war making an attack on Bulgaria and an advance on Constantinople pointless.

Can the Entente hold? On my own little stretch of front this is dubious in the long term - an Austro-Hungarian artillery unit has just appeared north of Belgrade. I've put a full-strength upgraded infantry corps into Belgrade to defend it but if the AH artillery has a full load of ammo then there's a chance that they won't be able to withstand the AH attack, even dug in in urban terrain with a river in front of them.

One note of positive news: the Serbian Air Force is finally taking to the skies!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FOARP -- 7/31/2020 7:15:49 PM >

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 35
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 8/2/2020 2:34:08 PM   
FOARP

22 July 1916, Bulgarian Front - With Romania's entry into the war, there was no option but to bring up the date of the attack on Bulgaria if it (and the planned descent on Constantinople that depends on it) was ever to have any chance of success. To do otherwise would mean Romania would be stabbed in the back whilst her forces were busy invading Transylvania.

The attack went spectacularly well. The Greeks easily destroyed the garrison of Sophia and occupied the city, swatting away a Bulgarian detachment and encircling a Bulgarian army corps in the process. Greek detachments have advanced over the Ottoman frontier and are now at the gates of Gallipoli. Assuming the Bulgarians capitulate, only a handful of Ottoman units stand between the Greek army and the waters of the Bosphorus - though those Ottoman troops are well dug in. Good thing an artillery unit is on order!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 36
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 8/2/2020 2:43:52 PM   
FOARP

22 July 1916, Serbian front - The defences at Belgrade were battered, but held. My hope now is that the entry of Romania into the war sees a significant draw-off of enemy troops in order to meet the Romanian advance. In the long term the downfall of the Ottomans, if that can be achieved, should bring significant reinforcements onto this line.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FOARP -- 9/12/2020 5:44:31 AM >

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 37
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 8/2/2020 3:24:09 PM   
FOARP

5 August 1916, Serbian Front - The Bulgarians have capitulated! This is the first real victory of the war for the Entente and welcome good news, boosting the morale of the Allies and depressing that of the Central Powers. The Romanian advance is going well though it remains how far they will be able to actually go - it seems likely that they will get held on the line of the Mures river.

Russia's situation remains dire - the Central Powers are at the gates of Minsk, and even Kiev is threatened - so a re-opening of the Dardanelles cannot come soon enough.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FOARP -- 8/2/2020 3:26:01 PM >

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 38
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 8/13/2020 7:32:21 PM   
FOARP

19 August 1916, Balkan Front - There has been some draw-down in CP forces facing the troops of the Serbian Kingdom, but also the deployment of a German artillery unit there that threatens to break the front. In Bulgaria the Greeks have now surrounded Adrianople, and once that falls the road to Constantinople is clear. In Russia, however, the army continues to totter.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 39
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 8/30/2020 4:07:17 PM   
FOARP

2 September 1916, Balkan Front - Adrianople is now fully invested by the Greek army and the guns have been brought up, the assault will come next turn. Near Novi Sad the Austrians leave a gap in their lines that a couple of Serb corps attack into, destroying a KuK HQ. In Transylvania the Romanian advance has slowed, necessarily so as the Romanians respond to the Austro-German breakthrough to the north of them along the Russia front.

(apologies for the low picture resolution, which is forced on me by the 200kb maximum file size, which really should be raised to 5000kb as it is on the WIE forum)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FOARP -- 8/30/2020 4:08:34 PM >

American Front: a Work-in-progress CSA v USA Turtledove mod for SC:WW1 can be seen here.

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 40
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 8/30/2020 7:25:56 PM   
FOARP

16 September 1916, Serbian Front - This turn saw the destruction of the KuK Polish detachment. Men who sought only the freedom of Poland died on a battlefield far from their homeland battling their fellow Slavs, and others took the opportunity to defect to join the Polish legions being formed by the Entente! Such is the fate of smaller nations in this global conflict.

There has been a distinct slackening off of the Central Powers offensive against Serbia, as units are diverted to exploit the breakthrough in Russia and cover the Transylvanian front. Let's hope we can exploit this!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FOARP -- 8/30/2020 7:26:15 PM >

American Front: a Work-in-progress CSA v USA Turtledove mod for SC:WW1 can be seen here.

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 41
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 8/30/2020 7:30:52 PM   
FOARP

16 September 1916, Thracian Front - The Ottoman fortress of Adrianople has fallen, yet the delay it caused in the Greek advance on Constantinople has given time for two Ottoman infantry corps to build up a front to the west of the city. It seems that the Greeks will have some fighting to do before they can sing their Te Deum at the Hagia Sophia!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FOARP -- 8/30/2020 7:32:00 PM >

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 42
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 8/31/2020 11:39:08 AM   
FOARP

7 October 1916, Serbian Front - This turn was spent consolidating recent gains on this front, the preparation punctuated only by the destruction of the Serbian cavalry division that had advanced too far towards the Hungarian plain.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FOARP -- 8/31/2020 11:42:55 AM >

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 43
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 8/31/2020 11:41:27 AM   
FOARP

7 October 1916, Thracian Front - In this turn one of the corps blocking the advance towards Constantinople has been destroyed, however the Greek army is in a state of exhaustion after their advance across Bulgaria and siege of Adrianople, and so will probably have to rest next turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FOARP -- 8/31/2020 11:42:28 AM >

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 44
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 9/3/2020 7:06:21 PM   
FOARP

4 November 1916, Serbian Front - The front holds, though I've had to put one of my best units into a gap where another infantry corps retreated and not had enough time left for it to dig in before the CP turn. I can only hope that bad weather impedes any CP attack, but with an artillery units and multiple infantry corps ready to attack its likely to take a battering. Elsewhere the Russian front continues its collapse with Riga surrounded and Minsk threatened. In Thrace the Greeks remain stuck in front of Constantinople unable to advance - and at this point even a reopening of the Dardanelles seems unlikely to reverse that trend. Italy too has seen a collapse with the Italians now defending a line of defence extending along the Po. Only in France are things picking up a bit, with Amiens, Nancy and other cities retaken and even Verdun close to recapture.

I doubt the war can last much longer than 1917. Either the Ottomans collapse first or the Russians will - and quite probably both! We will then see a repositioning of the forces freed up on those fronts and perhaps the decisive battle. American entry into the war in unlikely to come soon enough to affect the result.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 45
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 9/3/2020 7:59:46 PM   
FOARP

2 December 1916, Serbian Front - The Serb infantry corps to defending the Danube north-west of Belgrade was destroyed! An entire turn's MPP had to be spent to buy it back. Along with the fall of Verona and Minsk, and the shattering of the Romanians in a number of places, not a great month for the Entente! The Russians are unlikely to hold out for much more than a few months I fear. The good news is that a couple of CP dreadnoughts have been sunk and Baghdad has at last fallen.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FOARP -- 9/3/2020 8:00:45 PM >

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 46
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 9/3/2020 8:03:37 PM   
FOARP

2 December 1916, Thracian Front - Having destroyed the last Ottoman Infantry corps barring their way, the Greeks are finally at the gates of Constantinople. If the lines to their north can hold a few months longer, the straights will fall to the Entente and the Ottoman war will be over!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 47
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 9/3/2020 8:40:34 PM   
FOARP

30 December 1916, Serbian Front - In the last turn of the year the snows arrive, stopping any further offensive action both on this front and in Thrace, and giving a chance for the troops to recover. Russian morale is at 15%, Ottoman at 22%, French at 27% - how much longer can this war go on?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FOARP -- 9/3/2020 8:41:24 PM >

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 48
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 9/5/2020 8:20:09 AM   
OldCrowBalthazor

Very interesting AAR!
Been following along since you began this back when.
Interesting how easy it is to take out Bulgaria, heh?

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 49
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 9/6/2020 11:57:36 AM   
FOARP

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldCrowBalthazor

Very interesting AAR!
Been following along since you began this back when.
Interesting how easy it is to take out Bulgaria, heh?

Thanks! I really think this one's probably lost but hope is the last thing to die as they say!

(in reply to OldCrowBalthazor)
Post #: 50
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 9/6/2020 12:01:12 PM   
FOARP

24 February 1917, Serbian Front - The Bolsheviks have seized power in St. Petersburg, and Russia, with its morale on 14%, really is unlikely to stay in the war much longer. On the Serbian Front not much is happening though the KuK army is staging a break-through in Romania that the Serbs are watching with distinct unease.

(PS - apologies for the poor image quality. I've asked a number of times why the max size image allowed on SC:WW1 is 200kb when SC:WIE allows up to 5000kb on the site feedback forum but received no answer from anyone)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FOARP -- 9/6/2020 12:04:35 PM >

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 51
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 9/6/2020 12:06:56 PM   
FOARP

24 February 1917, Thracian Front - This turn the Greeks stage a major assault on Constantinople, but the defenders held on, aided by the blizzards that hampered Greek aerial reconnaissance.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FOARP -- 9/6/2020 12:07:16 PM >

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 52
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 9/6/2020 1:34:16 PM   
FOARP

4 April 1917, Serbian Front - The Russians have given in! We are now face with the prospect of massive Austro-Hungarian and German forces being brought to bear against Serbia, Italy, and France. America is as far from joining the war as ever. There is only one bright light of hope for the Entente....

In the fighting on this front it is not clear what role the Romanians will play (their MPP is shown as zero and they are still a minor adhering to Russia even though they are still fighting - how does this work?). Hopefully substantial reinforcement will be available for this front.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 53
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 9/6/2020 1:39:47 PM   
FOARP

4 April 1917, Thracian Front - What was the single hope I referred to above? This was the capture of Constantinople (and in the same turn, Aqaba and Jerusalem). Greek army priests now walk through the Hagia Sofia, censors swinging, with the sound of the Greek Orthodox liturgy heard in that great cathedral for the first time since the fall of the Byzantine Empire.

Surely this is the end of the Ottomans? If so all the British and Greek troops currently fighting them will become available for the Balkan front that desperately needs reinforcement.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FOARP -- 9/6/2020 2:24:05 PM >

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 54
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 9/6/2020 2:29:21 PM   
FOARP

5 May 1917, Serbian Front - Turns out that when the Russians surrender Romania is reduced to low supply and surrenders the turn afterwards. Probably for the best
- defending the wide Romanian Front would have been tough with the forces available.

The Ottomans surrendered giving the UK 1200 in MPP, which I decided not to trust the UK to invest, instead directing it to spend the lot on buying back destroyed British infantry corps and anti-submarine destroyers.

France is now on 13% morale, despite now having retaken almost all of its territory (this game began before Bill added morale boosting events for recapturing French territory that was previously lost).

Minor point: the "Bulgaria gains Southern Dobruja" event fired even though Bulgaria has surrendered. Probably should be a check to see if the Bulgarians are still in the war before this fires.

Substantial Austro-German forces are already arriving on my front from the east - it is going to be a hot summer!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FOARP -- 9/6/2020 2:32:40 PM >

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 55
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 9/6/2020 3:13:04 PM   
FOARP

2 June 1917, Serbian Front - Belgrade has fallen! And been recaptured! But the front is only weakly held and the next assault may take it for good. French morale is now at 11%...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FOARP -- 9/6/2020 3:14:09 PM >

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 56
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 9/6/2020 3:39:10 PM   
FOARP

30 June 1917, Serbian Front - Wave after wave of Central Powers troops batter against the corps holding Belgrade, but it held - just! Now a fresh Greek corps enters the line, hopefully the Central Powers offensive there is spent.

Meanwhile Serbian and Greek attacks against Mostar and north-east of Belgrade also fail to make a dent.

French morale reach 10%, just as the Germans are driven from Brussels...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FOARP -- 9/6/2020 3:42:33 PM >

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 57
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 9/6/2020 4:04:51 PM   
FOARP

14 July 1917, Serbian Front - Signs of collapse at the front as the Central Powers take Belgrade decisively this time. The attack against Mostar fails again. Serbian national morale remains high - but for how much longer? And what can high morale do in the face of Austro-German technical superiority?

Elsewhere the Entente retakes Liege and the Germans have Bologna practically encircled. French morale remains at 10%.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FOARP -- 9/6/2020 4:07:56 PM >

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 58
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 9/6/2020 4:31:52 PM   
FOARP

28 July 1917 Serbian Front - Again, the assault fails near Mostar. It does not look like we're going to be able to retake Belgrade - my only hope now is the Americans, but that seems a forlorn hope when their war entry is still only gradually increasing (currently at 47%)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FOARP -- 9/6/2020 4:32:56 PM >

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 59
RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR - 9/6/2020 5:57:29 PM   
FOARP

11 August 1917 - More defeats, more withdrawals - is this war lost? French morale now on 8%.

The sheer weight of artillery that the Central Powers have in the Belgrade area tells the entire story of why this front is now collapsing.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FOARP -- 9/6/2020 6:01:49 PM >

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> AAR >> RE: SerbiAAR: a veteran Serbia-only AAR Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI