Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO Elmer Axis]

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO Elmer Axis] Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO Elmer ... - 4/10/2020 6:46:13 PM   
Hellen_slith

Hello, this is another AAR for Russo-German War v. 1.3 as me Soviets versus Elmer PO Axis.

One of the things about playing Soviets in this play is the various Soviet units w/ 0 movement points or only 1 movement points (make this a bit challenging for Soviets) ... from what I can tell, some of the Soviet units have secondary unit icons of "fortress" or "coastal artillery" that are intended for the computer as player, but be that as it may, I try to befuddle the Axis opponent as best I can with forces available.

So far (I think I am on turn 50 or so now) it has worked well, moving "throw away" or scraggler units beyond the lines into German backfield. Doing so I captured Galician Oil Fields early on (taking away supply from Elmer) and have disrupted Axis rail lines. I have recaptured Smolensk and Minsk, so with General Winter soon, I hope to be able to disrupt more in Spring '42. My overall goal is Berlin by Summer / Fall 1943, but I don't think I'll get there. Maybe by 1944.

Currently Elmer is still pressing Leningrad, but has retreated it seems from AGC and AGS. I have repulsed his efforts into Crimea. Odessa holds mightily. It seems that Elmer places many units at two hex intervals, to stymie forward Soviet progress, but I am bypassing those as best I can so as to keep him moving West instead of East.

I have noticed during watch of Elmer's turn, that he seems befuddled in that many units he is railing back to Berlin, then in the same move he is railing units forward into AGN. He seems focused on AGN at the moment, but is obviously concerned w/ my units in Hungary and deep in Germany and pressing Yugoslavia -- even though those units are mere fragments, and only placed / moved there to harass his rear area.

Here is map view overall, you can see how his units are fragmented. Still, a fun scene to play as Soviets versus computer. Edit: removed link to outdated complete AAR, am editing and revising (new link in later post)

map as of Soviet turn 58

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 4/16/2020 2:58:27 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 4/14/2020 9:06:07 AM   
StuccoFresco

Really chaotic.

Nice breakthrough south of Moscow, though.

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 4/16/2020 1:31:55 AM   
Hellen_slith

It is a pretty fun scene to play as Soviet v. PO, but the Soviet OOB is kind of hard to get a handle on. I would rather some of the air units to be separate from and not in w/ ground formations, and the reconstitution / replacement routine is putting sub-units all over the map (not sure if that can be assigned per unit or if the game just decides, seems like it just decides) but it does make it an operational challenge to get the formations back together like I would like them.) I had the 1st of the third reconstitute in Archangelsk, the 2d of the third appear in the Far East part of the map, and the 3rd of 3rd wind up in Baku! Spending the rest of the winter (game time) just trying to get all the replacements back together while the Germans are hamstrung! Makes it a bit of a chore, but ... I guess that is what makes this scene SO "operational" on the Soviet side.

Also, I've wound up w/ two HQs for the Soviet 14th Army ... not sure what happened there or when it happened. I don't remember having two 14th Army HQs at the first.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to StuccoFresco)
Post #: 3
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 4/16/2020 3:20:15 AM   
rhinobones

Check your scenario in the editor and see if a reconstitution point has been designated. It will be a big letter "R". If not, the program has a great deal of latitude about where replacements are reconstituted.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post #: 4
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 4/16/2020 3:24:39 AM   
Hellen_slith

Ah, ok, I figured there must be a way to set reconstitute points. Thanks for the tip! But, not my scenario :) and I don't know much about editor so I don't mess with them. Maybe designer will set them in a later version, if they are not set? Anyway,

Seems like I picked a pretty good time in game to regroup all those formations. Here is the latest news portion from the SitRep log:

March 11th, 1942
Forward supply at Bryansk is expended
Soviets successfully defend Novgorod.
March 15th, 1942
Soviet Military Output reaches start of war levels.
Soviets successfully defend Novgorod.
Soviets capture Poltava.

Currently on Soviets move 81 (March 29, 1942) and so far have regrouped NW Front, Leningrad Front, forming up Novgorod defenses more (corralling the 27th Army for that, they were scattered all over the map) 11th Army to Moscow, several tank corps have been railed up for more pushing into AGC toward Minsk (Germans have retaken Minsk back again, and SS Viking went back to Kiev to hold that city.) My "partisans" / "remnants" are still busy wrecking German rail around Riga and all around Estonia / Latvia etc. and almost to Niemann River. AGN is hurting.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 4/16/2020 3:28:56 AM >

Post #: 5
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 4/22/2020 1:29:13 PM   
Hellen_slith

on Soviets turn 104 (June 17, 1942)

one of the things I like about the Soviets is the auto-repair of RR and bridges.

Seems like Elmer really likes to destroy bridges, but it seems like if I move a Soviet
engineer onto a broken bridge hex, it may repair on the next move. Also, not sure what
governs Soviet auto-RR repair, but RR has been repaired all the way up to Smolensk now.

Although I wish the Soviets formations were more homogeneous, I have found now that I need
to just keep the colors working well together, paying attention to their "force support" levels
(e.g., "force support, Army support, etc." and I've gotten used to the Air units in some of the ground formations.

As for reconstituted: I just rail as much as I can as far west as I can, and worry about recombining later.

Elmer Axis seems to be getting his defensive line better organized, and is still trying with a few of his units
to continue stabbing at (e.g.) Kharkov, Orel, Kursk. Soviets strategy of "forward at all costs" with even remnants
is effective at keeping his rail net in chaos ... sometimes I see him railing his units around in circles LoL is kind of funny when he does that.

But, the Soviets can't get supply too far forward, and they eventually just stall out. RR to Mogilev is very helpful now,
getting several Tank Corps up there now for a big push back into Minsk again soon I hope. Minsk has changed hands four times I think in this game.

Elmer really likes Minsk!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 4/22/2020 3:08:40 PM   
John B.

How long does it take for you to do a turn in a such a large scenario?

Post #: 7
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 4/22/2020 3:46:15 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: John B.

How long does it take for you to do a turn in a such a large scenario?

Usually, about 30 - 45 minutes, depending on what I am trying to do.

When I was trying to recombine, searching out all the units, trying to get formations together, it took me longer.

Now, I have just concentrated on getting units to the front via rail (and before I move rail or air units, I "hide" all units [w/ space-bar] and then make the move, goes much faster that way.) Also, I have found that hiding the side-bars of mini-map and air briefing panel, and also hiding place names, that scrolling the map using numpad keys goes much faster.

I also use as many "keyboard short cuts" as I can, like shift-L to change stack loss limits, shift-D to dig in stacks, I use the B key + location name to move map (B + "Moscow") moves map to Moscow etc. and also hex locations to locate the map. (also, left clicking the little finger dude on the map centers the map on that)

There are a lot more shortcuts you can use, they are found listed in the file C:\Program Files(x86)\Matrix Games\OpARTIV\Manuals\KeyCommands file on the hard drive (is a text file) these are essential to know, I think, to be able to play the big maps without pulling your hair out LoL

Also good to know, is the "matrix" of map locations ... e.g. location 200,340 is going to be down in Caucasus area, learning the location grid helps me get a "mental picture" of where units are lurking about that I need to get to front or to "Mama" HQ location.

In this RGW go as Soviets, I am not agonizing about what every formation is doing any more, just trying to "operational" on the big picture ... getting to Minsk, wrecking Axis RR, and pushing into his backfield where I can. Just keeping "Elmer" busy! and hoping to provide feedback about Soviet OOB and how to make scenario better for Soviet player. Tough scene! Pretty fun though. Have a great day!

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 8
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 4/22/2020 7:12:53 PM   
John B.

Thanks!

Post #: 9
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 4/22/2020 8:19:04 PM   
Hellen_slith

Sure, NP, link to my latest version of "complete" AAR for this go is

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QtUATVhf6a9u3yYpKDETlORCv83p0Odp

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 10
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 5/5/2020 3:30:25 AM   
Hellen_slith

After toying with different techniques for handling the reconstructed units, I have finally developed a roughed procedure for my moves that has helped me ease the earlier frustration with the Soviet OOB and reconstituted units.

So now I am at Soviets turn 111 (July 1942). I have found renewed enjoyment from the scenario.

Yet another “remnant” unit of the Soviets has worked its way to the Galacian Oil Fields (but there is not a new news item to glorify the effort ….) Design may want to consider placing garrison units on / near Galacian Oil Fields to hamper Soviet mere remnants taking the fields.

Now on this turn 111, Soviet air power continues to increase (currently 60:39). Game time is now July 12, 1942. Per the news items, Germans are getting benefit from Case Blue shock value, but it seems to be little use to Elmer due to the fractured nature of his forces.

The Soviets continue to build a colossal front that I hope will be able to overwhelm the Germans during summer 1943.

The surprisingly early appearance of some YaK9 Fighters for me has me puzzled: the production schedule seems to indicate they won’t be producing until turns 211+ (which might be a little late) but I have found 16 already in inventory here in July ’42.. Perhaps these are early production prototypes? But the production schedule and where / how those came from might want to look at.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 11
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 5/5/2020 10:37:39 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

early appearance of some YaK9 Fighters

Looks like they should be Yak-7's instead. Thanks for posting it.

Post #: 12
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 5/6/2020 1:58:15 AM   
Hellen_slith

Sure, no problem...here is another "early riser", some 152mm D1 ... not sure which unit or units these are lurking in ATM, but they are out there somewhere!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 13
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 5/7/2020 12:38:22 AM   
Hellen_slith

I had mentioned to John B that I usually take 30-45 minutes per move, and that is true when I'm just messing around with a scene and learning how to have fun with it....but there are times when I will spend 2 or even 3 hours looking at it in more depth, and that's what I've been doing the last few turns or so.

As a result, I'm starting to make a lot more progress now with the Soviets. On the Leningrad Front, 23rd Army and other ad hoc units have bridged the Luga River, retaken Narva, and are starting to simply pulverize this section of AGN.

The Soviet Tank Corps are very strong. The brigade sized tanker units are not so strong, but the Corps sized units are really plowing through the Germans. Here's Leningrad at Soviet turn 116 (July 29, 1942)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 14
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 5/11/2020 8:19:21 PM   
Hellen_slith

Today's thoughts on RGW version 1.3, from Hellen (Stavka) v. PO Controlled Axis:

currently around Soviet turn 120 or so,
and (by peeking at Elmer during his last move)
I found a few German units who are also "early risers" ...

can find these by scrolling through German OOB and sorting by "reinforcement schedule". You'll see some 1942 / 1944 units already on map for Germans ... a bit early, but ... Elmer needs help as Germans!

Galician Oil Fields: almost back in possession of Soviet Partisans. They've snuck a lot into Bulgaria / Yugoslavia / even Dortmund. I am wrecking Axis RR / supply net like nobodys's business. You might want to add more garrison / home defense for Germans.

I am now driving on Minsk here as Soviets, but ... another thought, seems right now all of the Soviet big tanker units on map are hamstrung at the moment by only 1 movement point available. I am attributing this "bottleneck" faced by the big Soviet tank units to just too many tanks on the roads, hard traffic.

I am enjoying this game, well done design!
t

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 5/11/2020 8:21:10 PM >

Post #: 15
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 5/18/2020 8:56:10 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

various Soviet units w/ 0 movement points or only 1 movement points (make this a bit challenging for Soviets)

For example, Fort Regions and some Infantry Units to protect River Crossings. Restricting their movement keeps them where they should be and for what they should be used for in the early game. The FR's gain movement in 1942 and the River guards are replaced by a 'normal' unit when they are destroyed.

Another unit would be the 100 series Tank Divisions. These are strong units on paper but in reality they were quite ineffective and were quickly destroyed or reorganized into something else. Giving them a movement of 1 is harsh but fair.

A Garrison has been added to the Oil Field. There are about 20 others scattered around, but some more can be added

Thanks for the review of the Soviet side!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sPzAbt653 -- 5/18/2020 8:57:26 PM >

Post #: 16
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 5/19/2020 11:43:17 AM   
Hellen_slith

Ah, ok, that makes sense about the tanks!

I think it is a pretty fun scene!

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 17
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 6/10/2020 2:06:33 PM   
Hellen_slith

@Soviets T133 (Sept. 27, 1942)
AGS is practically destroyed (although many remnants continue to resist around
and East of Kiev, and many seem to be taking refuge in Pripet Marshes)

AGN is in full retreat; AGC is routed;

This is the easternmost section of the South / Southwestern Front,
as it approaches Ploest,
the idea being to swing around the Carpathians,
through Belgrad, then up to Budapest and the Hungarian oil fields.

Along that path, there is practically no resistance.

The game is now, "How fast can I get to Berlin?"

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 6/11/2020 12:58:36 AM >

Post #: 18
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 6/11/2020 12:59:55 AM   
Hellen_slith

Here on the Central Front,
I could not quite get to Minsk, as I was hoping, before the weather hits soon.
the supply is just not enough for now.

Going to have to wait, while the auto RR repair routine,
decides to get the rails in this area back up and running,
or just wait for the units around here
gas up for a while.

I wish I had some RR repair icons / chits,
that might "help" the auto-repair to focus on this area,
but---c'est le guerre!!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 19
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 6/11/2020 8:55:04 PM   
Hellen_slith

Here, we see Soviet North Central Front,
driving toward Riga.

https://archive.org/details/1942RadioNews/1942-09-29-AFRS-Spike-Jones---Der-Fuehrers-Face.mp3

It is only a matter time now, until Hitler is captured!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 20
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 6/15/2020 7:15:32 AM   
StuccoFresco

A glorious cavalcade westward.

Post #: 21
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 6/18/2020 5:31:00 PM   
Hellen_slith

Yes, big plans in store,
as shown on below picture.
@Soviets T146 (November 11, 1942)

The Weather has prevented much movement / battle
for the last five or so moves,
on both sides (STORMS)

but, when weather lifts (or the ground freezes)
the Glorious Red Army
will continue its advance to Berlin.

Funny, my son (who is now 29 years old) visited me the other day,
while I was playing this, and he said,
"WOWO!! I remember that game!"
(He was 8 or 9 when I played ACOW w/ him looking over my shoulder at times)

and then he said, "That must take A LOT of patience, Dad!"
and it does, here I am, patiently again trying to get to Berlin LoL:)
Anyway, it led us to reminisce on old times,
and ... here is map at Soviets 146 ... I have taken Ploesti
(news say, thus -5% Axis Supply, +5% Soviet Supply for that!!

Fun game!!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 22
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 6/25/2020 11:41:19 PM   
Hellen_slith

@Soviets turn 160 (Dec. 30, 1942)

Almost Happy New Year 1943!!

Well, in this run, the Soviets now have gained overwhelming air and land superiority in the North.

Riga and the Gulf of Riga are far in the rear, now.
There is practically no resistance to speak of in deep south ... but no railroads there for supply.

All of the auto rail repair seems to have been thrown into this North rail network....
which now extends excellent supply (and ability to rail up more and more fresh troopskis)
all the way from Urals to Moscow to Ventspils.

I'm aiming for the goal of Berlin with this mass before turn #200
(which I think would be sometime in Summer 1943)

Turns are going to go much quicker now, as I am just going to leave Central / South / SW fronts
to dig in, and put all movement / rail / forward to this group and get it to Berlin ASAP.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 23
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 7/11/2020 2:26:43 AM   
Hellen_slith

@Soviet turn 198 (May 12, 1943)

Well, no Berlin by turn 200 which I hoped for.
Supply is really a big problem for Soviets atm...
RR is just not repairing except very scattered around.

On bright side, finally captured Hungarian oil fields.
I'm not putting a lot of time into my moves, maybe 30 minutes each,
b/c supply issue ... I only move those who have "green" supply...
all the rest, I rest. So it goes pretty fast, and the last 10 moves,
were muddy time, where almost none could move. I just cycled those moves.
just scanning the front for greens to move up or attack,
scanning the rear for greens to move up.
Still about 400km or so until Berlin,
kind of becoming a chore, but I would like to get to Berlin.
Hovering b/w a marginal and significant victory for Soviets by points now.
Maybe Berlin by Spring '44?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 24
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 7/11/2020 3:13:27 PM   
Hellen_slith

Supply situation around Kiev:

pretty slim pickings.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 25
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 7/11/2020 3:56:27 PM   
StuccoFresco

That's A LOT of mud.

Post #: 26
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 7/13/2020 10:54:50 PM   
Hellen_slith

Mud? WHAT mud?

LoL this is dry ground!!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to StuccoFresco)
Post #: 27
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 7/14/2020 12:47:04 AM   
Hellen_slith

@Soviet turn 206
June 9, 1943

Well, Berlin is out for 43. Maybe 44.
If I can get through this Axis barrier,
which I have come to call. ....

Neman Pocket

The Neman River (orange lines)
is the primary feature here, good defensive feature for German.
and Elmo has a solid rail line from Berlin into this area ....
and to his credit, Elmo has been railing NAZIs into here,

while as you can see,
many (most?) Soviet units are hankering for supply.
Hard to advance thru here.
I need to revisit South Front etc.
but I know supply there is also NYET

Tough slog, but I am finding some new and refreshing enjoy
from reading the TOAW log file ....
good battle b/w Sov rifles v. German Engineers that last go,

and also (maybe observer error on my part) but it seemed last turn,
that Sov. Armored Engineers placed on rail,
seemed to spur on Soviet auto rail repair. Not sure.

Still curious about TOAWLog report of "bad units"
I think those were Soviets, not sure

they are:

>>>I see in this TOAW log from my Russo-German war, this entry, what does it mean?:

Start :Bad Unit entry in 36.Motorized Div
Start :Bad Unit entry in 16.Motorized Div

(posted about that in Tech Support forum)

might want to look at those two units from design standpoint
Fun Scene!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 7/14/2020 5:16:42 PM >

Post #: 28
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 8/1/2020 11:56:43 PM   
Hellen_slith

Soviets turn 208 (June 16, 1943)

Kiev is firmly back in Soviet control now,
but at great cost.

Below you can see that slowly,
supply is growing (circled hexes at 1 or 2 suuply!)

Also, from a book "lost Treasures of Europe"
that documents losses of great architecture due to WWII

The Monastery at Kiev
was completely destroyed after standing for nearly 1000 years.

link to online version of book

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89054769468&view=1up&seq=1

that would make a great coffee table book,
it is fascinating

Attachment (1)

Post #: 29
RE: Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO El... - 8/5/2020 4:17:48 PM   
Hellen_slith

@Axis 209 (June 1943)

Two years into the war, was good time to take stock of Elmer's losses.

Here is report sorted by most lost at top, cobbled together from screen shots,
I was surprised he has only lost a few thousand tanks per se,
has lost more of the SdKfz ge-Shooter wagons,
several thousand various aircraft,
can't see full report,
but eyeballing has lost >1.5MM troops of various sorts,
when consider that 1 squad = at least 4 troops.

Well he is fighting hard,
but I think maybe Berlin by Sept. '44.
Supply is hard for Soviets,
but a pretty fun scene.

Rumanians are off the board now,
due to fall of Ploest, Hung too loss of Budapest?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Russo-German War 1941-45 (Hellen [Soviets] v. PO Elmer Axis] Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI