Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/14/2020 7:32:14 PM   
warspite1

Permission to adorn myself of the sensible hat.

I'd say no. Reason is that it just helps open up Lodz if the weather stays fine. We could still do it later in the turn but let's stick to Poznan for the mo.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 61
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/14/2020 7:53:33 PM   
AllenK

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Permission to adorn myself of the sensible hat.

I'd say no. Reason is that it just helps open up Lodz if the weather stays fine. We could still do it later in the turn but let's stick to Poznan for the mo.

Permission granted but perhaps you might want to see a different take on 'sensible'.

They can get up to a 7:1 attack on it at Poznan if they use some air support, so it's pretty much open anyway. If they want to press on to Lodz and ignore it, then they are going to have to bring units back from the west. If they do that, it's a minor victory to us. If they don't and haven't pulled units back to block or take it out, then you could get the opportunity to move to that resource hex between Leipzig, Dresden and Nuremburg. That would need a bit of luck to time it with ending the turn but if it succeeded a big loss to their production. I'm sure they won't take that chance so at least one unit, probably the 6-4 INF, will move back to block but they will have to move more back if they want to make sure of taking you out. If they suffer a loss or disorganisation in doing so, it's a minor victory to us. Only blocking still means the resource it is on is lost, which is again a minor victory to us.

It all adds up to delay, which is our best friend.

< Message edited by AllenK -- 4/14/2020 7:55:35 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 62
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/14/2020 7:57:21 PM   
warspite1

Okay go for it you little tyke.

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 63
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/14/2020 8:02:07 PM   
AllenK

I'm just trying to see if there is a downside I am missing in my enthusiasm.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 64
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/14/2020 8:21:50 PM   
AllenK

Apart from the Poles, any air rebases for CW/US?

I'm guessing no reorganisation.

< Message edited by AllenK -- 4/14/2020 8:34:14 PM >

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 65
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/15/2020 5:54:19 PM   
AllenK

Bon soir mon ami,

This was the Dutch set-up I used for our game.

Align to CW. INF to Amsterdam. 4 CA/CL's and 1 x CP to Rotterdam. 4 CP's to Dutch Guyana, TERR, 5 CP's, Sub and TRANS to Batavia.

Essentially, it's which ones you are prepared to gamble on being captured or destroyed and which ones you want to keep. The CP split depends on where you want them as reserves initially.

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 66
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/15/2020 5:56:09 PM   
warspite1

Are you sure about the Chinese? I can re-do

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 67
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/15/2020 6:00:30 PM   
AllenK

If you are happy to. You should have the save at land movement so it wasn't too much more after that.

Thanks.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 68
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/15/2020 6:10:19 PM   
warspite1

I'm thinking of putting the Dutch infantry in Rotterdam.

Rationale. In Amsterdam its unlikely we can stop an auto - 7:1 best.
In Rotterdam we could get it to 5:1.

Amsterdam falls with the latter - but as said its going to fall anyway.

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 69
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/15/2020 6:46:54 PM   
AllenK

I don't think there is a right answer to this.

If they are patient, they don't need to do any attack on Rotterdam. Occupy Amsterdam and wait for the turn to end. As long as the unit in Rotterdam is ZOC'd so it can't wander off and do any damage it vanishes automatically.

If you were prepared to have Gort in the front line in Calais with one other unit, you could try unloading your other available unit in Rotterdam if it doesn't fall. That way it would potentially still be occupied at turn end even with the departure of the Dutch. You'll need the RN and CP in the North Sea to provide defensive bombardment, supply and possibly air cover from Ark Royal if you can get it up there (that too may dependent on the Italians) as only one unit in the hex would be vulnerable if we lost the initiative. If we got it, you could reinforce.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 70
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/18/2020 1:27:02 PM   
AllenK

France and China will be land and USSR won't be doing anything until land movement, so probably best if you start the turn off to do whatever naval and air missions CW and US are planning.

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 71
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/18/2020 5:33:44 PM   
warspite1

Okay so do you want the CW units (not the HQ) in Calais or are you happy for them to be in the North sea?

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 72
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/19/2020 8:33:48 AM   
AllenK

I think there will be a DoW on Belgium on their next impulse so in Calais is probably best.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 73
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/19/2020 11:26:25 AM   
warspite1

I'm bored of this - I'm going on the offensive and I'm gonna roll the sort of dice that you won't believe. I'm kicking bottom (as Basil Fawlty would say). You may have gathered from that that I am going to declare war on Italy. Would the French care to partake in this wonderful adventure?

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 74
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/19/2020 12:01:50 PM   
AllenK

That's the spirit. "Up and at 'em".

The French will join the Commonwealth in their endeavours.

What are you planning to do on the surprise impulse? French need to take a land to reorganise the reserves at Lille and one other, using Georges, so won't be able to do much else.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 75
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/19/2020 12:34:56 PM   
warspite1

What am I going to do? What am I not going to do more like. Woof!!

I've sacked Pound - a decent man but he was getting too old for this. This is serious big boy ****. I need a new broom to come in and shake this party up.

If you are of a nervous disposition look away now. There'll be lots of claret as its all goin' to get a bit untidy.

No, the French have done a good job at sea first impulse - but now its time for the big boys to take over. Stand aside mon ami, Nelson, Collingwood, Drake, Effingham and Lord Flashheart ride again!! Engage the enemy more closely!!

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 76
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/19/2020 12:40:30 PM   
AllenK

Just seen you are going for a naval.

Keep a CA/CL that can reach the West Med 3-box in reserve. If you take out the CP in the Italian Coast and any replacement they try to send, you could get the chance to get an automatic landing on Sardinia using the INF Div at Oran. You just can't land it at Cagliari.

They have units at La Spezia they could use to reinforce the island but great if they do. They aren't available for use in France or Africa. If you can put a decent sized naval force in Italian Coast it might deter them or, if not, give you a crack at them.

< Message edited by AllenK -- 4/26/2020 12:10:58 PM >

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 77
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/19/2020 2:27:33 PM   
brian brian

I’ve been gaming out Allied responses to a France First strategy with a friend.

For the defense of Holland, Rain is obviously a major aid. If it Rains, the best Dutch defense is in one of the clear hexes in front of the 2 cities. Ahh, but then the Axis simply Ground Strike the Dutch INF, put a ZoC on each city, and overrun the now OoS INF - that’s no defense at all! Except, this all requires a lot of units to flip over, and a lot of high movement point units all correctly positioned in the key advance hexes - are there enough such units? 5 movers flip to take a 3rd hex in rain, and an overrun costs 4...but the best outcome for the Allies is flipped German units. How many ART (pre-positioned, perhaps) and Air, each halved by Rain, will they commit to ensure the demise of the INF? Also, in Rain, they can just make a regular Blitz attack on the INF, but they can’t move a second hex off a B result, so the INF has to be overrun to reach Rotterdam.

Now if the Germans have enough high MP units positioned on the Dutch border (stacks make the best target for surprise impulse Ground Strikes) to do all of the ZoC positioning, then the overrun, then take the 2 cities (a lot of assets req.), or the weather is Fine, then the Allies should defend Amsterdam and land troops in Rotterdam. Without Rotterdam, the Germans can only get a one hex attack on Antwerp. That is not impossible, but it entails at least some risk. So the 1939 Germans will often seek to invade Rotterdam when Amsterdam is defended. Then the Royal Navy has a say, hopefully with a 4 range Gladiator on a CV in the 4 box of the North Sea, giving about a 65% ish chance of whacking whatever Kriegsmarine task force tries this.

Because without Antwerp, the Allies can easily hold the Dyle line until the weather clears in M/A or even M/J and all the new British financed Char B1 and especially the 47mm AT guns can give Heinz and Erwin a bitter taste of their own medicine.

But when the Germans look at Holland, the one hex they most want to see the Dutch INF in is - Rotterdam.

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 78
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/19/2020 2:37:11 PM   
AllenK

Thanks Brian Brian. I realised afterwards Rotterdam is not the place to set up the Dutch INF. Oh well.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 79
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/19/2020 2:44:45 PM   
brian brian

Also by far the best French decision on their DOW impulse is a Surprise Ground Strike on the Rundstedt HQ. Leaving it in a clear hex in normal range of the French LND3 was a mistake. If they flip the HQ-A, or the RAF can do that to the HQ-I, you have just flipped 4, or 3, other units, as well as probably removed the ability of the Germans to use an offensive chit on the first turn as they need to use at least one HQ to re-organize additional troops.

Often that HQ is hidden in woods at long range from the French. Then a juicy stack of 3 land units + air in clear might be a better target.

< Message edited by brian brian -- 4/19/2020 2:46:43 PM >

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 80
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/19/2020 3:17:00 PM   
AllenK

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

Also by far the best French decision on their DOW impulse is a Surprise Ground Strike on the Rundstedt HQ. Leaving it in a clear hex in normal range of the French LND3 was a mistake. If they flip the HQ-A, or the RAF can do that to the HQ-I, you have just flipped 4, or 3, other units, as well as probably removed the ability of the Germans to use an offensive chit on the first turn as they need to use at least one HQ to re-organize additional troops.

Often that HQ is hidden in woods at long range from the French. Then a juicy stack of 3 land units + air in clear might be a better target.

Unfortunately, distracted (and a bit cheesed off) with getting the A-22, rather than the usual LeO451 (hadn't counted on the lend-lease putting it into the pool), I didn't put it in range to do the strike. That is probably also why Rundstedt was placed in the open. Otherwise yes would have been priority target.

< Message edited by AllenK -- 4/26/2020 10:55:35 AM >

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 81
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/26/2020 5:46:08 AM   
warspite1

Nothing more for the CW. The US land their 'stuff' in Hawaii.

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 82
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/26/2020 11:46:59 AM   
AllenK

Do you want to hold off debarking Nimitz and possibly the aircraft this impulse to see whether or not the weather improves. Nimitz'll get disorganised and cost oil at the moment.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 83
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/27/2020 6:59:47 PM   
AllenK

Londres, nous avons un probléme.

< Message edited by AllenK -- 4/27/2020 7:01:02 PM >

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 84
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/28/2020 3:24:40 PM   
warspite1

Yes I think my naval search throw in the Baltic and theirs in Biscay kind of summed up how this game will go. But ho hum or comme ce comme ca as we say.

Two choices old fruit. I land the British in Belgium - although if I send to a port I will probably lose more TRS to port attack or we decide the French are deadmeat and the CW concentrate everything on trying to hold North Africa and Gib for as long as possible.

Either choice is pretty crap really isn't it? Happy to go with what the French feel is most useful to them and I'll just write those CW units off now.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/28/2020 3:25:06 PM >

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 85
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 4/28/2020 6:21:38 PM   
AllenK

Well, the Gibraltar and North Africa defence starts in France. The longer I can eke things out, the more time you have to prepare defences.

However, you can only put one unit in Belgium this impulse. May as well be the MOT as the cheaper of the two. That can just debark, rather than sailing in the TRANS (apart from risking the port attack, it would also disorganise the unit). Some fighter support wouldn't go amiss. You can land them back in England when you fly them.

The TRANS with the MECH could either return to Plymouth or wait out to see if there is another attack which only causes one loss. Your call on that one as otherwise it becomes part of your next defensive preparations.

Looking ahead, you need to get two elite units (fighter(s) too at some point) to Gibraltar and have others plus air support ready to go to help defend Northern Spain and the Moroccos/Algeria. Getting units into Bayonne would mean fetching Wavell but that will probably take too much time to do as risk free as possible. Their builds over the next few turns will give us a better indication of intentions.

In the absence of CW boots on the ground in France (unless you do bring in Wavell) then France needs BP's to build as much of the quick stuff as possible. As long as by the end of this turn it looks as though there is a good chance of surviving to the end of ND 39, then as many as you have spare CP's to ship. If survival looks dicey then don't as they'll be lost to you.

May need to consider USSR declaring war on Japan fairly soon to put pressure and perhaps some distraction to that theatre. Will need another chit in the pool for that one.

This impulse China and France will do a land.

Nothing until land movement.

< Message edited by AllenK -- 5/2/2020 5:55:24 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 86
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 5/3/2020 1:02:26 PM   
AllenK

The Chinese ambassador in London requests a meeting with the Foreign Office to humbly suggest a deal to send some barrels of oil (possibly those produced in Burma?) to Kunming.

The French also lobby for oil and everything Les Anglais can transport to their shores.

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 87
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 5/3/2020 1:12:24 PM   
warspite1

Well done on ending the turn - makes up to a degree for the 1 that sunk Gort I guess.

Re resources just let me know what you want and I will agree.

In terms of getting the EoT done as the CW player I take it you just wait for everyone's orders and then try and complete in one sitting?

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 88
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 5/3/2020 2:06:17 PM   
AllenK

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Well done on ending the turn - makes up to a degree for the 1 that sunk Gort I guess.

Re resources just let me know what you want and I will agree.

In terms of getting the EoT done as the CW player I take it you just wait for everyone's orders and then try and complete in one sitting?

Ending the turn and also the 1 that saved Antwerp certainly help to balance the books.

For trade to France 1 oil plus BP's. The Canadian one is best. I've already got the CP's in place. BP's might be better to send than resources. You just need the additional CP's in Biscay for whatever you send. Four would be helpful. Depending on how things are going, we may either keep it going or reverse the BP flow if it looks like France won't survive long enough to make use of anything it tries building.

Let's hope for rain and worse. I think they'll continue attacking in the rain but it'll increase their chances of losses and might make them use an O-chit to bust the line open.

For EoT it's best to wait for everyone and then dive in. I usually end up redoing Stay at Sea/RTB at least a couple of times as I forget or miss things. Watch out for CP's being taken off sentry and marked for RTB by MWiF. It's a menace as it trashes your production planning. If it happens, you will need to reset them to stay and then go back and redo the production planning before moving on.

If you get stuck let me know. I'm pretty good at getting the CW convoys working the way I want them eventually.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 89
RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe - 5/3/2020 3:35:45 PM   
AllenK

The Poles get some nice reinforcements this turn. May I suggest putting the INF at Poznan. If we get the initiative you could try a long odds shot at von Leeb. They'll probably go for Blitz, which at 1:1 only gives around 20% chance of destroying the HQ but there's another 20% chance it would have to retreat. If that happened push it into the woods hex SW. It'll be out of commission for the rest of the turn and put anything trying to attack Lodz or Warsaw OOS in anything but fine weather.

With a successful fractional (40% chance) it rises to 30% chance to destroy plus 10% to shatter. Weather will be issue as rain would reduce the base to 1:2 with 40% for 1:1. Only 10% chance of destroy plus 10% to retreat. Possibly still worth a shot.

Possibly the 1-4 INF Div could join in but it only improves the fractional roll and I'm not sure it would make it in the rain.

If we don't get the initiative, the threat of what it could do will have them scrambling to protect the HQ and get rid of it before moving on. If the INF goes to Danzig, they can simply screen it off and then wait for it to eventually disappear when Poland falls.

< Message edited by AllenK -- 5/3/2020 3:45:41 PM >

(in reply to AllenK)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: We are going to stamp all over one's Blau Swede Schuhe Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI