Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[Fixed] Editing the Scenario description locks up program

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Fixed] Editing the Scenario description locks up program Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[Fixed] Editing the Scenario description locks up program - 4/7/2020 6:52:25 PM   
BeirutDude

This has cropped up a few times. In the current scenario I am working on trying to edit the scenario description to correct a mistake is locking up the program.

< Message edited by Steve McClaire -- 8/16/2020 8:06:10 PM >

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
Post #: 1
RE: Editing the Scenario description locks up program - 4/7/2020 7:51:19 PM   
Dimitris

Is this happening to you with any scenario or on a specific scenario? If the latter, can we see it?

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 4/7/2020 7:52:12 PM >

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 2
RE: Editing the Scenario description locks up program - 4/7/2020 8:36:39 PM   
BeirutDude

Was still doing some edits. Took me five tries to get in there (edit the file). What finally seemed to break it loose was editing the Side Briefing and then opening the Scenario Briefing. Hope that helps. The Turkish scenario was the one I needed to edit, but happened with both sides.

Now I...

1. Edit my briefings in Word (for spell check)
2. Copy to Wordpad and save without formatting to delete any special characters
3. Reopen the briefing in Wordpad to ensure formatting is gone.
4. paste in CMO
5. Edit Bold/etc. in CMO.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BeirutDude -- 4/7/2020 9:16:09 PM >

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 3
RE: Editing the Scenario description locks up program - 4/8/2020 4:02:10 AM   
Rory Noonan

Logged for investigation.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 4
RE: Editing the Scenario description locks up program - 4/12/2020 10:01:54 PM   
KnightHawk75

Got frustrated after losing hours of work yet again to this found what is hopefully helpful info for this.

What's happening it seems is the dialog is is being loaded behind CMO main window and getting modality or focus and not being brought to the forefront, or alternatively modality is lost on the main window but the new one isn't being drawn\spawned yet till the minimize-workaround mentioned next happens. The only way (and I can consistently do this as a workaround now that I found it) is to via task manager (or winkey+downarrow) highlight the CMO app and specifically trigger a 'minimize' from there, then the dialog window instantly loads\shows up center screen (and on taskbar but only after you select it) where you can make your edits or cancel.

I don't know what it's doing\checking before showing the dialog but whatever it is seems to have different results depending on save\scenario beyond the contents of the text. This also happens with: Game\Side briefing, Game\Scenario Description, and Editor\ Edit side briefing - HOWEVER in those cases the game itself doesn't lockup-lose modality so you can minimize normally and then the window will show up onscreen\on taskbar.

I can reproduce this in CMO 139.2 and 141.2 100% of the time on my system with the attached scenes on my system, one sample is a save of the relative end state of playing a modded fiery cross reef, and two others are just some random things I was playing around with and those two only include a couple dozen units. Both show the behavior 100% of the time for me after being loaded, where most older community and included scenes I tested don't show the behavior, nor does a brand new scenario with like 2 sides and a couple generic modded units.

BTW I've also seen something similar happen with the shift-f1 manual fire screen after using it a hundred+ times after like 12+ real hours into playing a session where the screen is gone and you should be selecting a unit\target but you can't select any unit or shift-f1 to bring it up again. It's probably a separate issue I just mention it because funny enough the solution when that bug happens with shift-f1 is usually to trigger the scenario description edit dialog, which for whatever reason seems to reset the cursor or cancel out of the manual fire process that gets fubar'd.

@BeirutDude - Try the forced minimize work around, let me know if it works for you and it's not just some freak fix applying only to me.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by KnightHawk75 -- 4/12/2020 10:02:32 PM >

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 5
RE: Editing the Scenario description locks up program - 4/13/2020 6:56:29 PM   
BeirutDude

So I have looked for it behind the main screen without success and opening Task Manager actually crashes the program when it happens to me. I have learned to NOT open a description/editor window until everything has been saved but yes have lost hours worth of work myself (that's how I learned, the had way!). In CMO I have (re)learned to "save early, save often!"

(in reply to KnightHawk75)
Post #: 6
RE: [Logged] Editing the Scenario description locks up ... - 8/16/2020 8:05:53 PM   
Steve McClaire

This issue should be fixed in the next update.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 7
RE: [Logged] Editing the Scenario description locks up ... - 8/19/2020 2:24:19 PM   
AlexinCT

I have found that if you try to open the scenario description when at high altitude in the map the screen locks. If you scroll down to a very low altitude (and even have a screen with just open terrain), the issue doesn't happen...

(in reply to Steve McClaire)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [Fixed] Editing the Scenario description locks up program Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI