Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to view interdiction and sub attacks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> How to view interdiction and sub attacks Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to view interdiction and sub attacks - 4/7/2020 12:05:53 PM   
cavalry

I am playing the Germans in the 4345 Italy campaign. My allied opponent has lost a lot of ships to interdiction but also submarine attack. As the Germans I did not even know I had any submarines. In addition can someone tell me how to view these attacks and their results. They do not seem to come up on the combat replay. Or am I missing something. Your help is appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: How to view interdiction and sub attacks - 4/7/2020 4:42:15 PM   
loki100

he'll be losing stuff to naval interdiction.

You get this 3 ways:

a) actively running a naval patrol, this can be deadly if enemy TF/supply ships run into the area but has no particular effect otherwise
b) letting your naval air run routine patrols, this'll generate a lot of low level naval interdiction
c) from your ports - this projects some interdiction

He can offset b+c by letting his naval air run auto missions too. He can offset (a) by active naval patrols.

All this interdiction adds up and causes attrition both to routine supply shipping and the transport of units. In addition his naval losses goes up in poor weather.

You can track this by looking at the losses tab. At the bottom you'll see amphib and supply ship losses (forget the actual titles), track that and you'll see if he is taking more or less losses. He'll have a baseline of loss in any case

(in reply to cavalry)
Post #: 2
RE: How to view interdiction and sub attacks - 4/7/2020 6:15:37 PM   
Joel Billings

You submarines are abstracted in the sense that all naval hexes start with neutral control. Every hex moved through by a transport or a cargo ship (doing routine resupply runs) is subject to attrition, and it's better to be traveling in friendly controlled hexes as opposed to neutral hexes. You can minimize your attrition losses by using airpower to take control of water hexes where you expect your ships to be moving. So Axis subs are a big part of what makes hexes neutral to being with, but you can increase the attrition as loki says by flying Axis naval patrol in the sea lanes. You can even shut down some naval movement if you take control of the hexes.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to cavalry)
Post #: 3
RE: How to view interdiction and sub attacks - 4/8/2020 9:15:33 AM   
cavalry

Ok interesting - thanks.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> How to view interdiction and sub attacks Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI