Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Airunits and bridges

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> The War Room >> Airunits and bridges Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Airunits and bridges - 4/6/2020 10:37:20 PM   
John B.

Two questions about air units. I'm playing the Korea scenario (50-51) and, unless I do direct attacks, my air units do not seem to participate either when set to interdiction or to combat support. Over the course of the three turns I've had air units, they have never intervened in a land battle.

Also, there is a way to attack bridges with air units, but, I can't seem to figure out how to do it. It was explained to me a couple of years ago but when I did a search I was unable to find the answer. Sorry for what may seem to be an obvious question, but could someone let me know what I'm missing?
Post #: 1
RE: Airunits and bridges - 4/6/2020 10:40:53 PM   
Hellen_slith

bridge attack: when air unit is selected, hover the mouse symbol on the hex you want to attack. If the air unit is in range, the cursor will turn to the "target symbol" and the you can right-click on the hex and choose "bridge attack" and will show you the % chance of success.

Air units set to Combat Support will support battles if they are in range as S/2 (support at half strength) or at full strength if you assign them to a hex, and if they don't "run out of gas" or otherwise become disabled during the move (Quality check, AA fire)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 4/6/2020 10:44:18 PM >

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 2
RE: Airunits and bridges - 4/6/2020 11:12:26 PM   
John B.

That's what I thought, but it does not seem to be working. As an example, here is the unit of B-29s based in Japan in pretty good shape.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 3
RE: Airunits and bridges - 4/6/2020 11:14:17 PM   
John B.

Now, when I target the closest bridge I can find no target symbol pops up. When I target the closet bridge behind enemy lines I can find again, no target symbol pops up. In fact, I can't get any target symbol to pop up on a bridge anywhere. Are B-29's just not available for bridge attacks?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 4
RE: Airunits and bridges - 4/6/2020 11:51:53 PM   
TheeWarLord

On the map display, I see the aforementioned air unit set to interdiction. Set it to combat support, see if that enables bridge attacks. Hope it helps.

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 5
RE: Airunits and bridges - 4/7/2020 12:16:23 AM   
John B.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheeWarLord

On the map display, I see the aforementioned air unit set to interdiction. Set it to combat support, see if that enables bridge attacks. Hope it helps.

Thanks! That helped as well as it appears that you can only drop RR bridges in this scenario. When I put it into combat support and then put the cursor over a RR bridge I got a target. My attacks missed, but at least they went in.

Nothing shows up on road bridges you have to drop them like they did in Bridge on the River Kwai, with a British officer falling on the plunger. :)

(in reply to TheeWarLord)
Post #: 6
RE: Airunits and bridges - 4/7/2020 11:52:05 AM   
Lobster

Can a ground unit blow up a road bridge?

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 7
RE: Airunits and bridges - 4/7/2020 1:37:33 PM   
John B.

It appears so. I've blown up several road bridges in the Korea scenario with my ROK troops.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 8
RE: Airunits and bridges - 4/7/2020 5:16:58 PM   
Lobster

Well that's strange. Air units should be able to bomb them too.

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 9
RE: Airunits and bridges - 4/7/2020 7:11:16 PM   
MonkeysBrain2

quote:

ORIGINAL: John B.

quote:

Thanks! That helped as well as it appears that you can only drop RR bridges in this scenario. When I put it into combat support and then put the cursor over a RR bridge I got a target. My attacks missed, but at least they went in.

Nothing shows up on road bridges you have to drop them like they did in Bridge on the River Kwai, with a British officer falling on the plunger. :)

John B., I bombed bridges in FiTE 5.0 .... You need to assign more than one air unit and try to get percentage in the 70 percent up to 90 and it will work.

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 10
RE: Airunits and bridges - 4/7/2020 9:51:21 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: John B.

quote:

Ok opened this scenario and had no problems with targeting any enemy owned bridges. Except for where the arrow points. Even though the railroad crossed the river the road does not. So, since the road does not cross the river the game won't let me blow up the railroad bridge. It's a bug.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 11
RE: Airunits and bridges - 4/9/2020 3:54:26 PM   
John B.

Thanks for checking! I did manage to get the railroad bridges at Seoul which is what I was aiming for.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> The War Room >> Airunits and bridges Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI