Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Korea? Again??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Korea? Again?? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/13/2020 8:41:30 PM   
John B.

The NK army is getting ground into powder but the UN forces are starting to take some heavy losses. As you can see, the NK line is being penetrated near Seoul and outflanked in the West. But, will Marc be able to manhandle my spearheads?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 31
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/13/2020 8:42:38 PM   
John B.

Here is how intense the battles have been. The two where Marc's forces held are over on the west front just south of Seoul.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 32
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/13/2020 8:43:42 PM   
John B.

I am just not getting any intel on the forces over near Seoul so I'm having to attack blind which is a nerve wracking experience.

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 33
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/14/2020 2:09:45 PM   
John B.

November continues on the Korean Peninsula and the UN forces continue their attacks on Seoul in the face of bitter and determined NK resistence. BTW, I think I know why my supply has been so bad. Partisans take control of large swaths of SK territory and that may be blocking my supply lines. The NK controlled hexes don't show up on the map, I have to move around to find them so that's what part of the SK army is doing.

Here is the map at the start of the turn, and, the first thing that jumped out at me was that there was only one infantry regiment in Inchon. I just happened to get a British brigade this turn and those lads hoped on boats joined by an American infantry regiment.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 34
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/14/2020 2:11:29 PM   
John B.

As you can see, the Brits landed and captured Inchon. I also managed to get a hex next to the Seoul VP hex in a real grinding attack. Nothing on the east coast. Low supply and lots of enemy troops in the way. The last order of business was to attempt to take the hex next to Inchon to open up the supply line.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 35
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/14/2020 2:12:02 PM   
John B.

And here the NK army stood. At a terrible cost!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 36
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/14/2020 2:13:19 PM   
John B.

Relatively light casualties on the part of UN forces but I did not take that hex. I don't think he can retake Inchon so the fight is on for Seoul by the end of the year to avoid a NK victory.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 37
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/14/2020 5:49:52 PM   
John B.

I managed to clear the hex next to Inchon in the first attack and lined up for the next one to get a road to my other forces. I really hope this can get me in supply. I've also created a cordon of units back to Pusan to help make sure that NK partisans aren't cutting my supply line back to there. A few ROK attacks in the center to push the NK back a bit where I can cost some easy losses to him. Nothing on the east coast, supply is no good.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 38
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/14/2020 5:51:46 PM   
John B.

I did clear out the hex that was nearly surrounded and destroyed the units that were in there. Heavy losses among the NK troops but winter is coming. I have the Marine division resting up and will use it in the assault on the Seoul VP hex. If I can I plan to go into N. Korea to pursue total victory but the game may end before the Chinese show up. Right now I need to make sure that NK can't win (as it's currently slated to do.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 39
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/14/2020 6:41:10 PM   
John B.

Seoul has been liberated and at a huge cost to the NK army. In the end I put the entire 1st marine division plus about another two UN divisions worth of troops in there along with every artillery and naval gun that could fire and every airplane that could fly.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 40
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/14/2020 6:42:26 PM   
John B.

Here are the UN losses. Very light compared to NK. I suspect Marc will now try to get into NK to convince their fraternal Chinese brothers to come into the fray.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 41
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/16/2020 1:38:30 PM   
John B.

I have just about cleared out Seoul and Marc is withdrawing to the North and I intend to follow to liberate them from the yoke of godless communism (we have a house rule that the NK can win at the end of 1950 if it meets the victory conditions but the UN can only win in 1950 if it has entered NK. This both seems to be historical as the UN swept into NK on the heels of its victory in the south and it gives the NK a good shot at Chinese intervention).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 42
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/16/2020 1:39:27 PM   
John B.

By the end of the turn those two pockets were destroyed. Here is how the battles shaped up. If it's this easy then I should have no problem against the Chi Coms. :)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 43
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/16/2020 3:47:30 PM   
John B.

Liberated Kaesong which was the last VP city in SK. Next stop Pyongyang. But man, look at all those troops up there and that's just the NK army. But, we fight with the strength of 10 because our cause is just. :)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 44
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/16/2020 7:12:16 PM   
Hellen_slith

This looks like a fun scene and your AAR is intriguing. Is making me want to try this scene myself.

Mind if your ARR as part of my ongoing "TOAWIV Encyclopedia" project (vol. V)? That's still a good six months off,
but thought I should ask first. Thanks for the AAR!

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 45
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/16/2020 7:31:55 PM   
John B.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hellen_slith

This looks like a fun scene and your AAR is intriguing. Is making me want to try this scene myself.

Mind if your ARR as part of my ongoing "TOAWIV Encyclopedia" project (vol. V)? That's still a good six months off,
but thought I should ask first. Thanks for the AAR!

I really like the Korea scenario as it is not too huge and both sides get to bash on each other in a pretty short period of time! Yes you may and thanks for asking.

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 46
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/16/2020 7:33:00 PM   
John B.

The great cleansing has begun. Just a few odds and ends to delay me and blow up bridges. No sign of the Chinese yet.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 47
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/17/2020 12:16:23 AM   
John B.

It's just about the new year and there were some fireworks as the UN continued its push north. Not much luck in bridge repair this turn as the North Korean bridges seems to be tougher to put together. But, the glorious Greek brigade sailed into an empty Wonsan over on the east coast. This port is very important as it is a UN supply point. I managed to push through fairly weak NK resistence and reach the outskirts of the city but I could not get reinforcements in there. So, the Greeks have dug in and set their orders to "Last Ditch" and we'll have to see if they can hold the city.

In the West, the marines cleared a path and the US army made it to the outskirts of P'yongyang.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 48
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/17/2020 12:18:46 AM   
John B.

The battles continue to go the UN way, but I'm still basically facing NK conscripts scraped together as the formations Marc started the war with were destroyed in the south. Up in the upper left hand corner is the 10th NK division. It appears to be pretty good and I keep bombarding it to see if Chinese are coming down. No sign of them yet. But, NK air units are operating out of China so the fraternal brothers are looking out for each other.

Now, will Wonsan hold?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 49
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/17/2020 12:43:45 AM   
Hellen_slith

can you zoom out a bit, so that we can see the battlefield from a more "satellite" view? Very interesting game!

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 50
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/17/2020 11:48:35 AM   
John B.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hellen_slith

can you zoom out a bit, so that we can see the battlefield from a more "satellite" view? Very interesting game!

Unfortunately, the game ended in a UN victory at the end of my turn because the Chinese did not intervene. It's an interesting twist that there is no guarantee so you can't have a "perfect" plan.

But, we're going to do it again and switch sides. So, stay tuned!

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 51
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Korea? Again?? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI