Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Korea? Again??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Korea? Again?? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Korea? Again?? - 4/6/2020 6:47:10 PM   
John B.

Nothing says quarantine like a good AAR. I'm playing this Korea with my friend Marc and he is the godless commie hordes streaming down from the north. I've just finished the second turn and, as one would expect, it's a mess. Most of the units in along the boarder are dead or surrounded but, I was able to sealift the HQ for the 1st ROK division out of Inchon and get it to the south. Otherwise, I blew up some bridges and consolidated units.

No airpower yet, it's all in reorganization mode.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/6/2020 7:51:58 PM   
John B.

Turn three. An American division shows up and moves up the coast to meet the spearhead that has advanced the furthest while the ROK marines dig in. The American carriers bombed the spearhead and caused some damage. In the meantime, there was an ill-advised raid on N. Korean airfields that did take out a number of communist aircraft but cost me too many B-29s.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 2
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/6/2020 9:15:26 PM   
John B.

We're into turn 4 and the North Koreans have run into the MLR. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to hold them in the West but their front line units are orange and red and the same goes for the east. I hit them with carrier airstrikes and artillery but opted to not attack just yet. Rather, I'm moving the US forces into position and slowly rebuilding the ROK.

I'll just have to see if I can hold be the surge.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 3
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/7/2020 12:20:55 AM   
John B.

It's the very end of July 1950 and things moved a bit in the UN's favor. My US forces held off two attacks and then, in my part of the turn, going from West to East, I pushed back a NK tank battalion with the 1st Cav, pushed back (with heavy losses to NK forces) the NK penetration in the East, and bombarded the NK artillery and division on the coast destroying some of his larger artillery pieces with no loss to the CAs that did the attacking.

Unfortunately, my two attempts to drop RR bridges at Seoul failed and an unplanned attack on NK airbases resulted in heavy losses on both side.

Perhaps I should have pulled the 1st Cav back instead.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 4
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/7/2020 12:29:00 PM   
John B.

We're into August and not much happened this time. Marc seems to be digging in and I'm not strong enough to go on the offensive. I've kept the 1st Cav to the west but still worry about them being surrounded. I'm not too worried about him driving south and cutting me in two in the middle as his supply would be basically non-existent.

My main naval TF ran out of supply so I've moved it to Japan to see if it can resupply there.

And, my B-29s keep missing the bridges at Seoul. It's 50-50 according to the odds calculation but, so far, I keep coming up tails. :)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 5
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/9/2020 3:25:25 PM   
John B.

I keep forgetting to save an image, sorry! But, it's the middle of August 1950 and the North Korean attack has come to an end. I'm pushing up the East Coast and have just retaken Pohang (coastal town about 10 hexes north of Pusan).

The B-29s finally dropped the railroad bridges at Seoul and I've only had two unwanted raids on communist airfields. :)

On the West coast things are a bit more interesting. I've cut off a NK division in the south west corner of the country and and I'm also starting to push up the coast. Marc did not attack me in this turn but he took heavy losses in my attacks. Most of his front line units appear to be in the orange or even red and I imagine his supply levels are low.

In the far southwest corner is the port of Mokp'o. It's marked as a supply point but, I assume, it's not a supply point for NK?

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 6
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/9/2020 8:30:53 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

In the far southwest corner is the port of Mokp'o. It's marked as a supply point but, I assume, it's not a supply point for NK?

I would be surprised if it was. But stranger things have happened.

If we ever do become a space faring species and are able to visit other worlds, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 7
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/10/2020 12:58:31 AM   
John B.

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

I would be surprised if it was. But stranger things have happened.

Lol, that is really true!

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 8
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/11/2020 1:41:44 PM   
John B.

It's the middle of August and the UN is on the march. Here is the situation at the start of the turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 9
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/11/2020 1:45:13 PM   
John B.

It's hard to take a picture of the map at the end because I failed my proficiency check and the turn was over. But, as you can see, there were a series of very successful attacks this turn for the UN. I landed the marine regiment on the extreme south west coast and pushed aside the HQ there and then squeezed that pocket. I also landed the new US infantry division (the 7th?) further up along the coast and helped to form a pocket of almost all of the remaining troops on the West coast. On the east coast, I punched a hole in Marc's line but time ran out before I could get to the sea.

However, I can't pat myself on the back too much as there is a line of NK units up near Seoul. Marc is clearly fortifying up there and sacrificing the units in the south to buy himself some time.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 10
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/12/2020 8:18:24 PM   
MonkeysBrain2

Another nice AAR on this forum... I am following this with interest... Will you have time to punch that line up north? How many turns till end of scenario?

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 11
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/12/2020 8:19:17 PM   
John B.

We move on into September 3rd and here is the situation at the start of the UN turn just before my first series of attacks.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 12
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/12/2020 8:19:50 PM   
John B.

Lots of dead infantry thus far (mainly ROK troops).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 13
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/12/2020 8:20:47 PM   
John B.

Doing better in tanks.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 14
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/12/2020 8:21:59 PM   
John B.

About half way through my turn. As you can see, I've spent time cleaning out all of the pockets.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 15
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/12/2020 8:23:27 PM   
John B.

Except for the airforce that continues to insist on bombing NK antiaircraft units the turn went very well. I was also able to drop another bridge up by Seoul. Now, I'm torn, my troops could really use a rest and I"m sure Marc's troops in the north are well rested and dug in. So, things may slow down for a couple of turns.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 16
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/12/2020 8:27:53 PM   
MonkeysBrain2

Nice AAR, just keep em coming !
Well, nothing attracts new player better than good AAR!
Paradox Interactive is famous for good AAR.

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 17
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/12/2020 8:30:06 PM   
John B.

Thanks! I like writing them!

(in reply to MonkeysBrain2)
Post #: 18
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/12/2020 8:34:21 PM   
MonkeysBrain2

That's the spirit!
AAR can be told as a story too, many talented writers were writing AAR's mostly on Paradox forums. And people truly invested effort and knowledge.

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 19
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/12/2020 10:45:19 PM   
John B.

Middle of September 1950. More death and destruction was visited on Marc's delaying forces. It does increase his loss penalty, but, since these troops are clearly written off I don't gain anything extra by their destruction.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 20
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/12/2020 10:46:55 PM   
John B.

And, as you can see, there is a solid line waiting for me up in the north. So, I tried to rest my forces more this turn before going for the kill up there. Given that I can pick up supply points on the ports as I go north I'm not too worried about repairing bridges. And, I do have the 1st Marine division now and it has plans. Big plans. :)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 21
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/12/2020 10:48:47 PM   
John B.

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonkeysBrain2

That's the spirit!
AAR can be told as a story too, many talented writers were writing AAR's mostly on Paradox forums. And people truly invested effort and knowledge.

I will have to check that out!

Post #: 22
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/12/2020 11:58:27 PM   
John B.

Here is the start of the next turn. Not too much going on, just more moping up.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 23
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/13/2020 12:00:20 AM   
John B.

And, just about the end of my turn. The delaying forces are almost destroyed but my troops are tired and disorganized. One bright spot is that a ROK division started it's own attacking in the center. The ROK marines are a great unit and they can cooperate with the US forces. I repaired a bridge and dropped another one near Seoul.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 24
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/13/2020 11:15:30 AM   
John B.

It's the end of September and I continue to advance on the NK MLR while clearing the chaff out of the way. I have two fresh divisions (the 1st Marine and the 1st Cav). I could invade and Inchon or Wonsan as those are supply points but, Inchon in heavily guarded and Wonsan brings the risk of Chinese intervention and is far to the rear so the Marines would be on their own for awhile. I don't want them coming in any earlier than they have to.

I did get additional limited use out of the ROK troops this turn as their army slowly rebuilds.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 25
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/13/2020 3:49:19 PM   
John B.

Turn ended before I could take a photo. Suffice to say that I ran into a solid wall of NK troops. I mane one penetration south of Seoul but, alas, the Marines failed to land at inchon. I can't see any units there, but whoever they are managed to hold me off.

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 26
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/13/2020 5:15:17 PM   
John B.

The Commies tried to push me back and wound up taking heavy causalities.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 27
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/13/2020 5:15:49 PM   
John B.

That last screen was the UN losses. Here are the NK losses.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 28
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/13/2020 5:18:00 PM   
John B.

Near the end of my turn. Hard WWI style fighting at the NK line where I'm trying to get his units engaged. And, the marines were never going to get ashore at Inchon now that I see an entire division entrenched there so I went to the next anchorage north. I don't know if I get supply there, but I should be able to withdrawal if I need to and I hope that it provides a nice distraction. Also, whatever NK units that were there retreated the wrong way and they will not be long for the world.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 29
RE: Korea? Again?? - 4/13/2020 6:48:56 PM   
John B.

It's the middle of October and Korea is a grind. As you can see, there are heavy commie losses in the middle of my turn and I'm pushing him back near Seoul but he has large stacks in every hex. Still, there was a bit of a breakthrough this turn. And, it does turn out the the marines are OOS. But, they killed a couple of regiments this turn and I should (fingers crossed) be able to pull them out by sea so it will be a nice raid and it keeps Marc tied up on the sea short at the anchorages.

Supply is a real issue for me. all of the rail lines are broken and my engineers don't seem to repair those. The bridges are fixed but I'm sure rail would make life much easier.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Korea? Again?? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI