From: El Paso, TX
Last September I started a thread about the lack of camouflaged Japanese shipsides in AE, and mused about the various examples, none of which were in-game. Eventually that morphed into a project which resulted in 233 new Japanese shipsides, which were then copied into a foldered system which deploys them by month across every year of the entire Pacific campaign.
The details of which ships were modified and how and why and for which periods of the war, is covered in excruciating detail in the "development thread", so I won't reiterate any of that here. Rather, this thread is for YOU, the players. Here's how to download the new files, create a backup of your old shipsides (always a good idea), and then install the new artwork:
1) Download: For those who are not familiar with Dropbox, the link below will take you to a folder named "ART", and you want to download THAT folder, not all the individual folders which appear on the screen. Accordingly, please click the "Download" button in the top right of the screen (see the red arrow on the attachment). It doesn't really matter where you save this, so long as you remember the location.
Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x4mcbeekrjsqtf5/AAD-JMCQqyyjZGKyjRaR2XZKa?dl=0
2) Back-ups: The next step - highly recommended - is to create a copy of the following two folders in your existing game folder, as they will be overwritten by the new art files:
- War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\ART\JapShip_Back
- War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\ART\JapShipShills_transp
3) Installation: This is simple. Copy (or move) the downloaded "ART" folder directly into your WitP-AE game directory. In a default game installation, that would be the folder called "War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition". Do NOT drop the folder into your game's "ART" folder, or it will just create a non-working subdirectory. You have done it correctly if you get a message or warning about overwriting files. When you do, choose "yes for all".
4) Applicability: The new files will work seamlessly with all of the Andy Mac scenarios (as-delivered along with all those which are new or modified) and all DaBabes scenarios too. I haven't looked at compatibility with any player-created scenarios, but so long as they haven't altered any of the existing ships classes and associated bmp files, it should work. Best to check with the scenario authors, however.
5) That's it! Start a new scenario or open an existing campaign, and all the new shipsides will automatically appear, although WHEN they show up is entirely date-based (so obviously you won't see all of them at the same time).
I tested this pretty thoroughly and everything is working fine, so hopefully you won't experience any difficulties. If so, then please post any issues in this thread. Also, if you have any comments - good or bad - or any neat screenshots, please post them here. Enjoy!
< Message edited by Kull -- 4/5/2020 7:37:09 PM >