Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Using Lasers On Targets

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Using Lasers On Targets Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Using Lasers On Targets - 4/2/2020 9:38:38 PM   
DWReese

Does anyone know if a SINGLE PLANE in the game can separately lase and fire at TWO DIFFERENT TARGETS at the same time? If so, which one(s)?

On a similar topic, can someone point me to a good combination of planes that can perform "buddy lasing?" I'd like to check that out. I realize that I can scan the database for them, but I am hoping too hear from those who have actually used some so that I know that they can work before I start trying it for myself.

Thanks in advance.

< Message edited by DWReese -- 4/2/2020 10:51:16 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Using Lasers On Targets - 4/2/2020 11:42:26 PM   
KLAB

Pairs wise, Saudi F-5E/F #3791, one load out has GBU 12(?) LGB the other a laser spot pod load out.
Has to be in pairs and buddy lasing does work due to cloud cover and old LGB release height of 10k.ft.
Designator flies under cloud base to laser target and release aircraft can stay above cloud.

This is from memory mind you but used it from Sultan of Socrata scenario,
Have not got access to CMO just now to confirm. Will check tomorrow.

Single plane two targets none that spring to mind.

K

< Message edited by KLAB -- 4/2/2020 11:43:51 PM >

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 2
RE: Using Lasers On Targets - 4/3/2020 12:25:01 AM   
DWReese

Thanks for the info.

I started researching and I ended up using a F-16 and an unarmed Predator drone. I placed the drone a 4000 feet, created cloud cover between 7-16K feet. and placed the F-16 above that at 18K. This way, the plane could not see the targets. The drone, of course, could see the target.

I ran the sandbox scenario once and the F-16 did no fire. I noticed that the target could not be seen, so the F-16 was trying to five down to see the target. This was because the drone did not automatically activate its laser guidance like planes usually do when they are getting ready to fire.

I ran the scenario a second time, but this time manually turned on the drone's laser finder. It lit up target after target, and the F-16 dropped its bombs on each. After one attack, the drone would light up another, and the F-16 would fire again.

In summary, it worked great, and is a nice tool. The only downside was that I had to manually turn on the laser guidance on the drone. I assume that a Lua code could be crated to tell the drone to turn on its guidance system at a certain time.

Next, I'll use two drones, each targeting a different target and I'll see if I can get my plane to launch on the second target while it already has a first bomb in the air.

Note: It worked. Two drones, two laser guidance beams, and two simultaneous attacks.

< Message edited by DWReese -- 4/3/2020 12:30:43 AM >

(in reply to KLAB)
Post #: 3
RE: Using Lasers On Targets - 4/3/2020 11:19:57 AM   
Gunner98

Tornado GR.4 with a targeting pod works great with almost anything I've tried, as do some of the French targeting pods.

The lowering of the altitude for release of LGBs to 2K ft makes things a lot easier. As KLAB describes the above/below the layer combo used to be essential. I need to experiment with a clear sky and the targeting AC very high to avoid LL SAMs while the shooter comes in low(ish) at 2K and uses terrain. Might be a way of 'lobbing' even though that is not yet modeled.

B

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 4
RE: Using Lasers On Targets - 4/3/2020 11:51:42 AM   
DWReese

Gunner,

Thanks for the info on the Tornado.

I purposely placed the F-16 ABOVE the clouds, and the drone below it, so that the F-16 couldn't see the target.

I was very pleased to see that the drone painted each target and the F-16 then attacked it. (Apparently, the drone can only paint one at a time.)

Later, I added a second drone, which painted another target at the same time, and then the F-16 was able to fire at the second one, while the first missile was headed toward the first target.

This works perfectly. Thanks, devs. This works perfectly.

Doug

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 5
RE: Using Lasers On Targets - 4/3/2020 1:13:52 PM   
KLAB

Works across the spectrum. Used the drone and J-10 LT-2 combo in a chains of War scenario this morning.
Radar blind SA-20 eliminated.
K

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 6
RE: Using Lasers On Targets - 4/3/2020 2:14:29 PM   
DWReese

Nice work.

(in reply to KLAB)
Post #: 7
RE: Using Lasers On Targets - 4/4/2020 2:03:23 AM   
c3k

Okay...something's not correct if I understand what's been written.

Here's what it seems like the OP wrote, in ASCII 2D:

Bombing aircraft: \===>

Cloud deck: ****************************

Lasing aircraft: \===>

Target: X

Now...the LASER guided bomb (emphasis on "LASER guided") has to launch into a basket to catch the reflected laser light. If it doesn't sense the reflected laser light...it MISSES!!!

If the LASER cannot penetrate from above the cloud down to the target, how could a REFLECTED (hence, less) laser light bounce off the target and PENETRATE UP through the clouds to the seeker???

If there's a GPS package that guides the LGB into the basket, that's different, but I'm not aware of any such. IS that what is being modeled?

Sorry for the caps, but that's for emphasis, not yelling.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 8
RE: Using Lasers On Targets - 4/4/2020 2:51:48 AM   
DWReese

What you're asking is over my paygrade.

The bombs were GBU 10s or 12s, I don't have access to that at this moment. The F-16 was above the MODERATE clouds,and presumably could not see the target. The drone was at 4K feet and lased the target as evidenced by the red line. The bomb launched and went straight for the target.

Perhaps the weapon, or perhaps something else.

LMK if you need more and I can check it later.

Nonetheless, I thought that it was pretty cool. I was equally impressed that two drones could lase two different targets and the same F-16 could launch of both before the first hit.

Doug

(in reply to c3k)
Post #: 9
RE: Using Lasers On Targets - 4/4/2020 7:54:21 AM   
KLAB

Not sure how accurate it is but suspect the simulation is recreating that LGB can be dropped "blind" once the launch platform knows the targets being lased on a trajectory into the general area of the basket and will "lock on after launch" when it clears the cloud obscuration.
K

< Message edited by KLAB -- 4/4/2020 10:36:01 PM >

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 10
RE: Using Lasers On Targets - 4/4/2020 11:46:31 AM   
Lowlaner2012

I found this article online, it states that in Syria and Iraq US planes used this method to destroy ISIL and other targets....

Here is a description of the drone buddy lasing technique they used...

It [buddy lasing] enables rapid precision effects with laser munitions,” said James. “Many of our buddy lases were performed with us below the cloud decks with the fighter above the clouds. This reduced the manned assets risk to enemy fire while still utilizing their munitions.”

And here is the link for the full article...

https://www.creech.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/810069/guide-me-in-mq-1s-mq-9s-provide-buddy-lase-capability-against-isil/CreechAirForceBase/

Looks like the game models the technique correctly...

< Message edited by Lowlaner2012 -- 4/4/2020 11:47:14 AM >

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 11
RE: Using Lasers On Targets - 4/4/2020 12:30:44 PM   
DWReese

Nice article. Very informative. Sounds like our game got it right, at least on some abstract level anyway.

(in reply to Lowlaner2012)
Post #: 12
RE: Using Lasers On Targets - 4/4/2020 7:57:55 PM   
c3k

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowlaner2012

I found this article online, it states that in Syria and Iraq US planes used this method to destroy ISIL and other targets....

Here is a description of the drone buddy lasing technique they used...

It [buddy lasing] enables rapid precision effects with laser munitions,” said James. “Many of our buddy lases were performed with us below the cloud decks with the fighter above the clouds. This reduced the manned assets risk to enemy fire while still utilizing their munitions.”

And here is the link for the full article...

https://www.creech.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/810069/guide-me-in-mq-1s-mq-9s-provide-buddy-lase-capability-against-isil/CreechAirForceBase/

Looks like the game models the technique correctly...

Off to go read it!

Thanks for the information. Wow.

Post #: 13
RE: Using Lasers On Targets - 4/4/2020 9:19:37 PM   
stilesw

quote:

Stef,

Thanks for this reference. I've added it to the CMANO/CMO unofficial Dropbox reference library.

Unofficial - i.e. not sponsored by WarefareSims, MatrixGames, Slitherine, their employees, relatives, pets or ancestors.

As always, any forum member can have access to this Dropbox resource. Just PM me with your email address.

-Wayne Stiles

“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Using Lasers On Targets Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI