Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Effort

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Effort Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Effort - 3/16/2020 7:45:17 PM   
Hellen_slith

@ currently Axis turn 7:

This is of course the MONSTER of TOAW, and a great scene it is.

Our club has taken on the task of playing this one out ... at our current pace puts us out a few years to completion,
but we are determined to give it a go.

We have developed a few "unique" rules for our game, due to its size, and to accomodate as many club members as we can that want to take a role.

Our goal is to play the scene out, as historically as possible at least from the Axis side, and just learn as much as we can from that.
Soviets have free reign as to their actions.

Having said that, be advised that we are playing this one out w/ Hellen as OKH commander (a/k/a Hitler) while Cheltham will be taking on the role of Stalin.

Us two should be seen more as "coordinators" of the moves ... our sub-commanders will be actually "commanding" the troops with advice from Cheltham and me,
Cheltham and I will be actually "playing" the game in TOAW (moving the chits etc) while our "sub-commanders" will be suggesting moves in the field.

This is going to be a real challenge for us all,
and we are starting to develop some "move sheets" where the commanders in the field
can send us their intended moves. So far, Axis has these "sub-commanders" in charge of field operations:

Wehrmacht Rear Security Actions:
SonderKommando "Bright": assigned oversight over all SS operations and command of Rumanians.

Wehrmacht Forward Actions:
Commander, AG NORTH: Generalfeldmarschall von Leeb is "Commander Winter" (a/k/a "Left")
Commander, AG CENTRAL: Generalfeldmarchall von Bock is "Commander Summer" (a/k/a "Middle")
Commander, AG SOUTH: Generalfeldmarschall von Rundstedt is "Commander Fall" (a/k/a "Right")

Wehrmacht Air Operations:
Commander, LUFTWAFFE: is Air Marshall Goering a/k/a "SING" and has control over all air operations, including Brandenburgers

These players will be sending me their "operational orders" during Barbarossa, which I will endeavor to enact via TOAW.
At the end of our moves, we will send to Cheltham (a/k/a Stalin) our move file, at which time he will take over and make his move for the Soviets.

At some time during the end of Barbarossa, before or near D31, we will revisit our endeavor and revise / update rule sets at that time.

Good luck to us all! Happy gaming! PS: if you all have any ideas about how to format our "move sheets" for the Commanders in the field, please let me know.
Cheltham and I are developing a sheet for our sub-commanders, any helps / hints / suggestions are very welcome. Thanks again!

Screenshots follow. Thank you!

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 3/16/2020 9:38:17 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 3/16/2020 7:54:03 PM   
Hellen_slith

Here is a screenshot of what the AGN sub-commander might receive, asking for his input:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 3/16/2020 8:24:20 PM   
Hellen_slith

TO: Axis Commander "Bright"

These are the restrictions that Cheltham and I have agreed upon. These still leave you much leeway with your units. You are also in charge of Rumanian units until further notice. Screen shots follow.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 3/16/2020 8:39:29 PM >

Post #: 3
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 3/16/2020 9:20:45 PM   
Hellen_slith

TO: Axis Luftwaffe Commander "Sing"

Continue, please, to take out Soviet Air capabilities. Denote which units you wish to dedicate to ground combat support in next move.

In mean time, this website may help give you ideas:

https://www.asisbiz.com/Luftwaffe-Units.html

Still working on an air unit "move sheet" for you.

Post #: 4
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 3/16/2020 9:29:10 PM   
Hellen_slith

TO: "Sing"

Please revise reports to more accurately reflect air assets.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 3/16/2020 9:44:21 PM   
Hellen_slith

Cheltham seeks a Soviet Commander for South West front (Odessa / Caucasus area)

may reply either via email to me, or just post a reply here

Post #: 6
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 3/16/2020 10:43:13 PM   
Hellen_slith

Let's have a look at Moscow:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 7
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 3/17/2020 12:51:55 AM   
Hellen_slith

It is a long, long way until Odessa for the Rumanians.

Perhaps Commander Bright can slice his way through to there,
or maybe he will take the Northern route, towards Sevastapol?
We will have to wait and see.

Advice under way, but Commander Bright's orders will prevail for this Army.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 8
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 3/17/2020 1:08:23 AM   
Hellen_slith

Commander Bright elects:

Screen AGS advances toward Kiev. Clean up Bessarabia, repair rail / bridges where can. Leave Odessa to starve for now.

edit: awaiting AGS Orders from Fall, not much to await there, just get to Kiev. How after to resolve Sambov Pocket?
same for AGN / AGS, advancing to objectives. Minsk Pocket?

LUFT: all out air attacks on airfields? or focus on ground? advice wanted. Preparing turn.
Weather will decide air, if no advice.

Thanks!

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 3/17/2020 1:18:36 AM >

Post #: 9
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 3/17/2020 3:36:49 AM   
Hellen_slith

@ AXIs7, Combat Round 2, AGN to Pskov, AGC takes Minsk? Still not yet, Heavy resist there, AGC stalled @ minsk but pressing onward to Smolensk, AGS taking Z ... AGS struggling w/ forts @ Stalin Line, meeting hard resist, pressing on b/w to get to Kiev.

Adolph Hitler SS Panzer SS Div. leads the way in AGS.

Bright screens along Rumainian border. Hungarians press forward also slowly in AGS, Bright takes control of Hungarian also in next turn.

Luft reports pending....

Post #: 10
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 3/17/2020 3:49:01 AM   
Hellen_slith

Minsk area:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 11
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 3/17/2020 4:37:30 AM   
Hellen_slith

Holy GAWD passing around this SAL file is like herding CATS!!!!

LuftCommander SING has the file now, we are awaiting his air sets.

Then, we will resolve combats for turn 7, and turn it over to Stalin a/k/a Cheltham, for his reply.

This scene is a real Chore for multi-play, but I think over time,
we will be able to hone the procedure, and be able to apply to other scenes.

I hope :) Germans coming at, C, will have your pbl by tomorrow I think!
Thank you for your kind patience!

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 3/17/2020 6:44:53 AM >

Post #: 12
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 3/17/2020 6:43:49 AM   
Hellen_slith

TO: Winter, Summer, Fall

Offensive chits are on the table. Discuss.

Thanks!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 13
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 3/17/2020 6:48:50 AM   
Hellen_slith

All defer until a better time.
Lucky for you, C, for now :)

Post #: 14
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 3/17/2020 8:21:08 AM   
cpt flam

I must inform you.
If you choose Reserve division to stay in Rumania, you will be unable to keep the Garrison requirement.
When option will occur to reform army, these units will disappear.
I prefer to tell you before getting to far away.

Post #: 15
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 3/19/2020 3:24:05 PM   
Hellen_slith

Thank you for the tip! We're new to the scene, so all help is very welcome! Which units do you suggest to keep in Garrison for the Rumanians? Thanks again!

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 16
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 3/19/2020 3:26:02 PM   
Hellen_slith

Rear Securities:

Mr. Bright is very new to TOAW entirely, and is commanding the Rear Areas / Rumanians / and now RR (Quartermaster Duty)

His battle so far:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 17
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 3/19/2020 4:21:26 PM   
Hellen_slith

Any helps / suggestions / tips you might want to share for our Club Effort are very welcome!

Our Club Effort has been hamstrung a bit by the closure of our "space" at the library.
I had been toting my machine there for everyone to look at,
but now we have had to resort to GoToMeeting to get through our Axis move 7.
Cheltham now has the Soviet task of moving his turn 7 w/ advice from his team.

At our current pace, we're looking at eight or nine years to complete,
unless one or the other side capitulates,
so we want to expedite where we can so as to push the game forward.

We have several high schoolers on board, and one middle schooler,
they don't have the game (yet) but "move" their forces with our (mine and Cheltham's) help.

Bright, our middle schooler, has the Einsatz and Rumanians, wanted more, so we also gave him RR repair / Quartermaster for Axis.

He moves by advice, w/ my help over GoToMeeting and advice from other Commanders (e.g., "AGS says, please repair RR for Rumanians" or "AGN says, need RR to Pskov" etc., then he decides how to deploy his Engineers)....

My AGN/AGC/AGS all have high school age "commanders" and they also move by fiat over GoToMeeting so far.

Pretty easy to handle so far w/ the advices from scenario design (e.g. take Pskov, etc.) but will get more detailed in future.

Chelt is coordinating the Soviet fronts and his team. Hopes to have their move done over the weekend.

We've tossed around some ideas about how to best coordinate our efforts during these trying times, and so far,
we have used GoToMeeting to get through the Axis last move,
are thinking about using TeamSpeak also to help move the game along. Will establish a channel today. Everyone welcome.

Well, any other ideas about "sharing" via softwares or other ideas like GoToMeeting or TeamSpeak, please let us know!

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 3/27/2020 9:35:19 PM >

Post #: 18
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 3/20/2020 8:23:40 AM   
cpt flam

You have already the 3rd Infantry division which must be in garrison (at this time)
for the others, you will have to choose
for me, I left the 2 guarding against Bulgaria
I sent one to Constanta, another in Bucharest
this leaved 2 others along frontier.

Post #: 19
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 3/25/2020 11:14:06 PM   
Hellen_slith

Thanks for the tip! Update from our ongoing AAR:

Zakharkin takes on the Central Front / Green Units, arrives in Smolensk.
Pskov holds as of end of Soviet turn 9.

Das Reich is just south of Smolensk (can't see it here, fog of war.)
At least I think it is the Das Reich division down there. Not sure.

Minsk is destroyed, AGC is on its way to Smolensk.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 20
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 3/27/2020 9:34:45 PM   
Hellen_slith

@Soviets turn 10:

Pskov holds, but will be overrun next German turn.
Soviets there are retreating (if possible)
but 12th Mech was routed by the Germans on their move 9,
and so must be left to their fate.

Meanwhile, Nikolia Klykov arrives to take Moscow Militias under the umbrella of 32nd Army.

And, if anyone else gets a kick out of unit insignias / battlefield markings,
the link below is an interesting site that I stumbled across that has some cool pictures of Soviets in action,
and some artist renderings of what their "flashes" were in the field.

http://www.wio.ru/tank/oz/oz-en.htm

a site for Luftwaffe information (very extensive) is

https://www.asisbiz.com/Luftwaffe-Units.html

Attachment (1)

Post #: 21
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 3/29/2020 3:55:17 AM   
Hellen_slith

Came across a pretty interesting site that has tons of information about Axis operations in Russia all throughout WWII, much of the site is in Russian, but most of the actual reports and some of the microfilms are in English. Pretty fascinating stuff to be found there. And, you can many times navigate into root directories that are mostly in English. Anyway, here is the Waffen SS link from there:

https://www.maparchive.ru/index.php/waffen-ss.html

That is where I got the old typewriter style type face shown in Keppler's order below

Attachment (1)

Post #: 22
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 3/31/2020 3:56:59 PM   
Hellen_slith

Smolensk is nearly surrounded. Tallin will fall in the next few moves.

I don't think Axis can take Kherson in the time allowed.

Meanwhile, Op. Arctic Fox finally starts.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 23
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 4/1/2020 6:48:58 AM   
cpt flam

this may be for future use.
In the scenario notes:
Axis paratroopers must drop within 5 hexes of supplied units.
Russian partisan must be dropped at more than 5 hexes from same.

Post #: 24
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 4/3/2020 5:21:39 PM   
Hellen_slith

Thanks again for the additional tip! Not sure how or why Soviet partisans might paradrop in future ... but that is something to consider.

Our effort here has been a bit hamstrung this past week ... what with the library closed etc. so it has been a bit harder to get people together even via teamspeak etc.

Still working on some sort of "move sheet" for those who don't have the game, but want to issue operational commands for a front. Still waiting for Chelt to wind up Soviet move I think, last I recall Smolensk was getting surrounded and there was some "turning south" on the part of Germans / Rumanians toward Kherson, but I don't think they'll get there. Tallin and Smolensk are pretty much givens for the Germans, though.

updated AAR is available as pdf file (currently 26 pages) will open in new window by clicking the link is

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1giEZOWHHkasVjlalksWoO2dXlp86FIUD

updated: Rumanian rules loosened, SS action in AGS tightened

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 4/3/2020 5:36:46 PM >

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 25
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 4/9/2020 4:29:42 AM   
Hellen_slith

Another turn finally done, Tallinn captured by Germans,
Smolensk getting hemmed in,
AGS is way behind, railed up SS Viking to seek out a bridgehead to get around Kiev.
Kherson is too far away, plus the Rumanians forgot their bridge and left half their army on the wrong side of the river LoL

Attachment (1)

Post #: 26
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 4/10/2020 9:07:37 PM   
Hellen_slith

Axis 14 completed, over to Chelt

AGC pressing to Moscow, Smolensk is surrounded.
AGN pressing Leningrad, almost to Luga. Tallinn taken, no Beowulf.
AGS: biding time, awaiting SS Viking to get bridgehead around south of Kiev,
otherwise awaiting Rumanians to Kherson, surrounding Odessa.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 27
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 4/14/2020 9:10:24 AM   
StuccoFresco

Very interesting.

Post #: 28
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 4/16/2020 9:03:26 PM   
Hellen_slith

Well, Chelt has the move now (Soviet 15 I think) and has sent this taunt:

"Smolensk? A mere scratch."

We've got a meeting scheduled w/ our sub-commanders this weekend to discuss next move and hopefully to get the Soviets to finalize their move 15. We've had some call for a "hard" map w/ little stick men / chits to make it more tangible, we are working on how to print a huge map and how to make some sticks w/ flags to show Armies etc....

At current "run rate" in computerese ... we're looking at 10 years to complete, but hoping to shave that when the 1942 and closer battles get going. At the very first, this scene takes a long time to make turns, but as game time elapses, the turns get easier to make. Secret is to get over this first hump of Barbarossa and into D31 etc.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to StuccoFresco)
Post #: 29
RE: FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Ef... - 4/22/2020 7:17:35 PM   
Hellen_slith

Our meeting was not very productive.
Here's a look at AGS, trying for Kherson.

Everyone seems to have their own ideas about how to proceed.
e.g. just starve Smolensk? Carry AGC forward to Moscow?

Screen Leningrad? Take Novgorod, and then steer north to Moscow?
Push AGS to Stalingrad? or Crimea? What a crazy show.

One thing we can agree on, Bright and AG rear has to clear remnants etc.
or risk loss of RR. What a crazy!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> FitE2 (Hellen [Axis] v. Cheltham [Soviets]) Club Effort Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI