Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help Understanding Supply

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Help Understanding Supply Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help Understanding Supply - 3/15/2020 8:11:02 AM   
Mark Breed

I have read the supply rules and still do not feel that I understand how supplies are allotted to the units.

Question, when the map shows a hex with a 33% supply rating, what exactly is that telling me?

Is it indicating that a unit will receive 33% of its missing supply percentage? So, any unit in that hex that is at 45% supply level will get supplied up to 66% (65% missing supplies x 33% hex supply rating = 21% + 45% unit supply level = 66% new supply level)?

Any help clarifying this will be most appreciated.

Regards,
Mark
Post #: 1
RE: Help Understanding Supply - 3/15/2020 9:22:08 AM   
sPzAbt653

Maybe watch this if you haven't already:

TOAW Tutorial - Supply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhVdL9ukZa8

(in reply to Mark Breed)
Post #: 2
RE: Help Understanding Supply - 3/15/2020 5:52:12 PM   
Mark Breed

sPzAbt653,

I had watched the video some time ago; so, I just watched it again to make sure that I did not miss anything. Thank you, it was helpful.

However, it does not specifically address my question. I am trying to understand the actual amount of supplies that a unit will gain if in supply. What is the basic formula that will cause a unit to go from x to y supply level in a single turn? The video indicates that a supply source level of 30 will keep a unit in good supply, while one of 15 is not good for any offensive operations. This does not help to understand the actual distribution effects. I am designing a scenario that I want to make the lines of communication very important.

The video raised a second question, were there any changes to supply in version IV versus version III?

Thank you,
Mark

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 3
RE: Help Understanding Supply - 3/15/2020 7:02:27 PM   
Hellen_slith

Post #29 in this thread may be helpful to you:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4387818&mpage=1&key=�

(in reply to Mark Breed)
Post #: 4
RE: Help Understanding Supply - 3/15/2020 7:42:08 PM   
Curtis Lemay

I believe the full equation is:

Location Supply Value x FDSE x 1.5 (if adjacent to coop HQ) x 1.5 (if adjacent to coop SU) x 0.67 if moved x 0.67.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 5
RE: Help Understanding Supply - 3/15/2020 7:54:49 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

were there any changes to supply in version IV versus version III?

From the What's New:

II. SUPPLY ENHANCEMENTS:

1. Motorized Movement on Improved Roads: There is now a designer option to divide the MP cost of motorized units on improved roads by a divisor that can range from 1 to 10. A setting of 2 makes the MP cost ½ MP, for example. This also affects the supply trace when New Supply is in use. Supply traced over other than improved road hexes will pay costs x divisor. So with a setting of 2, for example, inland supply in the desert will attenuate at twice the rate it previously did – making inland desert operations more realistically difficult. The default value is 1, which gives no motorized benefit on improved roads – or supply effect (i.e. just like under 3.4 and before).

2. Limit removed on Unit Supply Recovery per Turn: Increased from 50 to 150. So, if the location is lush enough, a fully depleted unit can recover full supply in a single turn.

3. Intermediate Supply State: There is now a new supply state that falls between “Supplied” and “Unsupplied”. It’s called “Overextended”. If used, it will allow a designer to realistically impede units from continuing to press on indefinitely at red unit-supply conditions. Units in this state will have to slow down enough to keep their unit supply levels above their desertion levels – or wither away.

A unit is “Overextended” if it has a line-of-communications to a supply point but is far enough from any supply source to be in a hex with lower location supply level than the designer-set “Overextended Supply Threshold”. For example, if that threshold were 6, then any hex with a supply level of 5 or lower would be “Overextended”.
The default setting for the threshold is 0 – making it impossible for any hex to qualify for the new state. Therefore, only scenarios specifically edited for it will employ this feature.
“Overextended” units receive supply normally.
However, they also suffer desertion losses during the interturn calculations the same as if they were “Unsupplied” – except that those losses go to the “On Hand” pool, not the dead pile. To review, such losses start when the unit-supply level drops below (100 - unit proficiency). The percent loss per turn is scaled by turn intervals per week.
“Overextended” units only receive replacements if they are not suffering desertions (their unit-supply level is above (100 – unit proficiency)).
“Overextended” hexes have a different supply font from the normal supply font in the supply display, for information purposes.
Note that, since this effect was scaled by turn-interval, the attrition due to being unsupplied was also given that factor as well, for consistency. So, unsupplied units will now melt away faster in full-week turns than in 6-hour turns, etc.

(in reply to Mark Breed)
Post #: 6
RE: Help Understanding Supply - 3/15/2020 8:06:32 PM   
Mark Breed

Gen. Lemay,

Please define FDSE.

Thank you,
Mark

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 7
RE: Help Understanding Supply - 3/15/2020 8:07:56 PM   
Mark Breed

Thank you Helen. I appreciate the additional detail.

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 8
RE: Help Understanding Supply - 3/15/2020 8:11:22 PM   
Mark Breed

sPzAbt653,

Thank you for the list of changes. It is appreciated.

Regards,
Mark

(in reply to Mark Breed)
Post #: 9
RE: Help Understanding Supply - 3/15/2020 9:01:36 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Breed

Gen. Lemay,

Please define FDSE.

Thank you,
Mark

Formation Supply Distribution Efficiency

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Mark Breed)
Post #: 10
RE: Help Understanding Supply - 3/15/2020 9:16:35 PM   
Mark Breed

So, does this mean that a unit with a supply status of 50, that is in a 33 location supply value hex, with no other factors affecting supply, gain 22 supply status (33 x 0.67) per turn; thus, ending up at a overall 72 supply status after one turn? And, if it moved, the net gain in supply would be 15 (33 x 0.67 x 0.67); thus, the unit would have a 65 supply status?

Thank you,
Mark

Post #: 11
RE: Help Understanding Supply - 3/15/2020 9:41:13 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Breed

So, does this mean that a unit with a supply status of 50, that is in a 33 location supply value hex, with no other factors affecting supply, gain 22 supply status (33 x 0.67) per turn; thus, ending up at a overall 72 supply status after one turn? And, if it moved, the net gain in supply would be 15 (33 x 0.67 x 0.67); thus, the unit would have a 65 supply status?

Thank you,
Mark

Provided the FDSE is 100 (evaluated as x1), I believe that is correct.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Mark Breed)
Post #: 12
RE: Help Understanding Supply - 3/15/2020 11:58:53 PM   
Mark Breed

Thank you.

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Help Understanding Supply Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI