Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms - 3/14/2020 7:18:11 PM   
mroyer

Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms
SC3 in the far future...

Ready for playtest...
I have been working for well over a year creating a new, science-fiction campign mod for SC3 and it is finally
ready for serious playtest. If anyone is interested in helping in this regard, contact me here or PM or at
"mroyer1 at comcast dot net".

Note: Hotseat and PBEM only - there is no AI (sorry for that!)

Backstory:
After searching for nearly half of a millennium, SETI has finally detected electro-magnetic transmissions that
many believe are the signature of an extra-terrestrial civilization. To date, the transmissions have not been
successfully translated nor even confirmed that the source is intelligent life.

Nevertheless, in the wake of the discovery political, social and religious movements on Earth and throughout the
Solar System, are calling for the immediate and swift establishment of a 3rd Terran Empire to once again bring all
the worlds of human space under a unified political structure so that humanity presents a singular, consistent
voice of strength to any extraterrestrial civilization. In their view, it is critical to establish the 3rd empire
prior to first-contact with any alien civilization.

The out worlds are not convinced...

Campaign Guide:
Here is the campaign guide to help you decide
if you're interested in this project.

From the manual introduction:

I never intended to create a science-fiction campaign for Strategic Command WWII – War in Europe (SC3). The very
notion is counter to the historically precise scenarios and aficionados who play them. Indeed, I am among that
crowd and enjoy learning history through the lens of gaming. SC3 is a great vehicle for that.

So, in that pursuit I undertook to create a campaign that would depict the massive war between China and Japan
that took place from 1937 to ’38 drawing largely upon my original work on the topic published in 1998 as War of Resistance.
Despite making reasonable progress, it soon became clear that as a newcomer to the SC3 modding
system, I needed to more fully understand the campaign development process and its rich underpinnings if I was to
be able to deftly depict the nuances of the war in China during that period.

It was then that I embarked on the whimsical effort to create something totally wild and off-the-wall; something
that would push the very limits of SC3’s capabilities; something that would force me to understand those limits.
After that, I would return to the original China project much better equipped for the task.

For my whimsy I chose an interstellar conflict pitting star-faring nations against one another. Hyperdrive navies
would assault enemy planets across an interstellar expanse. Governments on far-flung planets would vie for
supremacy in a new galactic order. This surely would challenge every limit of SC3 and teach me what is and isn’t
possible.

Well… plans morph and surprises happen. To my delight, the SC3 engine performed far better than expected for such
an off-topic endeavor. I’m not going to pretend it was easy to do – it wasn’t – or that it is a perfect
implementation – it isn’t. Nevertheless, I have been able to twist the 20th century historical system enough that
it works surprisingly well in the science-fiction 26th century. As the project progressed, I became more
engrossed in it. The project took on a life of its own and became more than simply a pedagogical tool to learn the
system. It became its own project – Bellum Galaxia (Latin for "war of the galaxy").

Ironically, from a simulation perspective, Bellum Galaxia may provide a better simulation of what our historical
counterparts faced. When we play a WW2 simulation, we have preconceived notions based on our own perspective and
interpretation of historical results. If a simulation doesn’t match our expectation, we declare foul and “bad
simulation”. But the reality is, our historical counterparts had no idea of the outcome of their decisions and no
preconceived expectations as we gamers do. By detaching the campaign from history and setting it instead in the
far future, players find themselves lacking foreknowledge and historical bias just as the historical figures we
emulate.

-Mark R.

Human Space:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by mroyer -- 3/14/2020 7:41:24 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms - 3/14/2020 7:18:26 PM   
mroyer

The birth-world.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by mroyer -- 3/14/2020 7:19:58 PM >

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 2
RE: Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms - 3/14/2020 7:18:37 PM   
mroyer

hold

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 3
RE: Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms - 3/14/2020 8:09:16 PM   
Christolos

Hi mroyer,

What you have done/are doing here looks simply and fantastically amazing!
Well done and I hope you see it to completion!

I am not a modder myself at the moment (but would like to try) simply because I just don't have the time to learn, but at one point in life (probably in retirement... ), I would like to take it up by starting with smaller scale historical scenarios like the Desert campaign in WW-II. I remember this scenario was available in an earlier iteration of Strategic Command (can't remember which one at the moment) and would love to see again in SC-WiE.

Like the old grognard that I am, I started out playing Avalon Hill board games and Amarillo's Starfleet Battles and Task Force Games' Federation and Empire. I so much loved playing Federation and Empire and started thinking about modding SC-WiE to mimic the game...but I just wouldn't know where to even begin and if I could ever even do it!

Now and after seeing what you are doing with this amazing mod, I won't have to think too much about a Federation and Empire Mod anymore. It looks like your Bellum Galaxia mod will definitely satisfy my desire to play a space-based grand strategy wargame, remiscent (at least to me) of Federation and Empire, after all!

I especially like the way you put it in terms of not having any historical hindsight! This is truly what a pure wargame should embody!

I would be honoured to play test this if you would like.

Good luck with the development!

Cheers,

C

< Message edited by Christolos -- 3/14/2020 9:22:01 PM >

“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 4
RE: Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms - 3/14/2020 8:36:34 PM   
FOARP

Wow! Really impressive work!

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 5
RE: Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms - 3/14/2020 10:22:49 PM   
mroyer

Thanks Christolos - I've PM'd you with a playtest link.

Thanks FOARP, I appreciate that.

-Mark R.

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 6
RE: Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms - 3/14/2020 10:29:49 PM   
mroyer

More pics are here from a while ago.

Not too much has changed graphically since that thread, but the scripting and campaign settings have been hugely updated. At last count I'm at 1976 scripted events - kudos to the SC3 development team for creating a game engine that easily handles that!

-Mark R.

< Message edited by mroyer -- 3/15/2020 3:13:27 AM >

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 7
RE: Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms - 3/15/2020 3:51:27 PM   
Christolos

quote:

ORIGINAL: mroyer

Thanks Christolos - I've PM'd you with a playtest link.

Thanks FOARP, I appreciate that.

-Mark R.

Thanks for the link. I PM'd you with a few questions. Mainly how to install it since I believe it would need to overwrite default files that would have to be backed up to play the original default campaigns.

C

“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 8
RE: Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms - 3/15/2020 4:42:56 PM   
mroyer

Installation Instructions:
It is extremely simple to install Bellum Galaxia
Unpack the zip file here:
C:\Users\<yourUserName>\Documents\My Games\Strategic Command WWII - War in Europe\Campaigns
and you're done.

After installation, the "\Campaigns" folder should have a "Bellum Galaxia.cgn" file and a "\_Bellum Galaxia" folder in it.
Run the game and it should appear as a campaign mod in the list.

There is no need to modify any standard install files from Matrix.

To uninstall:
Simply delete the "Bellum Galaxia.cgn" file and "\_Bellum Galaxia" folder.

-Mark R.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by mroyer -- 3/15/2020 4:46:51 PM >

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 9
RE: Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms - 3/16/2020 12:37:20 AM   
nnason

If there is someone for me to play against I'll give it a try.

Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 10
RE: Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms - 3/16/2020 4:03:44 PM   
BillRunacre

That looks fantastic, well done Mark!

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to nnason)
Post #: 11
RE: Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms - 3/20/2020 6:16:59 PM   
jsbarker702

How do I get the mod?

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 12
RE: Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms - 3/20/2020 8:52:19 PM   
mroyer

quote:

ORIGINAL: jsbarker702

How do I get the mod?

jsBarker702, the mod is not ready for general release yet, but if you're interested trying the playtest version and feeding back issues and results, please let me know and I'll hook you up. (Its hotseat or pbem only, no AI)

Thanks for the interest!
-Mark R.

(in reply to jsbarker702)
Post #: 13
RE: Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms - 3/20/2020 10:32:26 PM   
Don60420

I would very much like to help playtest this.

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 14
RE: Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms - 3/21/2020 12:10:25 AM   
mroyer

Don 60420 - I PM'd you.

(in reply to Don60420)
Post #: 15
RE: Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms - 3/21/2020 12:50:14 AM   
jsbarker702

My son and I already play a lot of SCWW1 and SCWW2 multiplayer. We would be happy to try this out on multiplayer.

We are both going to be around the house a lot soon so we should have plenty of time to play this.

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 16
RE: Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms - 3/21/2020 1:06:20 AM   
mroyer

jsbarker702 - I PM'd you.

(in reply to jsbarker702)
Post #: 17
RE: Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms - 3/21/2020 1:46:46 PM   
Don60420

I just installed the playtest version. Wow is all I can say! This mod is worthy of a separate place in the Strategic Command lineup.

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 18
RE: Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms - 6/1/2020 10:03:31 AM   
Magpius

Great work,
I still get this old game out occasionally.
Your amazing mod reminds me of Kroll and Prumni
link

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Magpius -- 6/1/2020 10:11:16 AM >

(in reply to Don60420)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Bellum Galaxia - A Galaxy at Arms Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI