Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Advancements and Skills

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> War Room >> Advancements and Skills Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Advancements and Skills - 3/11/2020 9:26:09 PM   
kennonlightfoot

I did a very rough evaluation of how Skills affect Advancement. The manual doesn't tell you much about how it works or the effects of choices. On day one the Advancement screen shows all skills 365 days away from advancing if you put any Skill points into it. Which leaves a lot of open questions like do Skill points advance any Skill equally or are some harder than others? What is the "365" based off of? Do you get the same bang for your buck (is 5 Skill five times faster than 1 Skill)?

Here are my German Raw numbers for change in days to completion over 10 turns or 140 days:

Skill Year Pts Start End Change
Assault '39 4 365 128 237
Breakthrough '40 5 365 164 201
Heavy Armor '39 3 365 184 181
Intercepts '40 5 365 130 235
Close Support '39 4 365 173 192
Attack Subs '40 5 365 179 186
Long Range Sub'39 4 365 157 208

And, to test extremes here are some Italian numbers for 5 turns or 70 days:

Naval Air Training 4 pts 251 --> 150 for a change of 101
Long Range Subs 1 pt 322 --> 295 for a change of 17

The data isn't in enough quantity to make anything but general conclusions from. I needed more 1, 2 and 3 skill level data. But you can get some general conclusions from it.

The Italy data shows a dramatic difference between putting 4 points in versus 1. Having more points committed to an Advancement will speed it up but it isn't clear whether going form 1 to 2 produces the same improvement as going from 4 to 5. The German data shows a general speeding up of Advancement as you increase from 3 to 4 to 5 but not always that great.

The German data sort of implies that the 365 number would result from a 2 Skill commitment but I only had one 3 test which barely beat out getting 140 days of improvement over 140 days.

While the Italian data would indicate putting 1 point into an Advancement is a waste of time.

However, the German data (if you through out the Assault one) shows very little return for adding more than 3 Skill points. The numbers for 3, 4 and 5 levels aren't dramatically different. You are doing better than 140 advance for 140 days but not much better.

Later in the game you get enough Skill points to start putting 9 into some of your Advancements. I know this speeds things up but haven't written it down to see how much.

Then there is the question of do you want to waste Skill points on Advancements that you don't need now or won't need in the future? This question comes up because most of the land unit Advancements are choices between Attack and Defend. For regular Infantry you can created units as either "Assault" or "Anti-Tank". But it appears you are stuck with the choice. There is no apparent way to change an Assault unit into an Anti-Tank unit. For Russia early on you probably want "Anti-Tank" but in 1943 you are stuck with them. Is it better to just bite the bullet and start with Assault?

Something to ponder.
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> War Room >> Advancements and Skills Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI