Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ideal Russian army size

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Ideal Russian army size Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ideal Russian army size - 3/9/2020 10:22:26 AM   
countrboy

I'm playing a PBEM game as Russia and it seems very difficult to fight as the Russians. I'm concerned my army is not large enough, in both manpower and number of units.

It's January 1943 and...

- Germany holds Leningrad and Moscow
- I have 355 divisions (mainly rifle and a few cav) and 101 Corps (half rifle, rest cav and tank)
- men under arms is 5.9m as compared to German 4.2m

I am completely unable to break through German defensive lines, where even one division can have a defensive CV of 40+. Here and there I can push back a division with a defensive CV of 25 or so, but can't follow up.

I have been spending my AP creating new units during winter, but am not sure about that as a strategy as I short over 500,000 men to fill my ranks. Am I screwed?
Post #: 1
RE: Ideal Russian army size - 3/9/2020 10:46:20 AM   
Telemecus

I would not say screwed but do need to think about being smarter with unit creation.

Do not worry about making more onmap units - and certainly not while you have a manpower shortage. But do make sure you manage max ToEs and refits to make a few of your best units have the high CVs you need to break through. That means having a core group of guards level corps with close to 100% ToE and the newest equipment under the best leaders and with no command penalties. Make sure they have arms heavy SUs (not manpower heavy ones) like tank regiments and artillery directly assigned and assigned to the HQs. Also make on map artillery units if they are available. Get to know how to use soaking attacks (even if nerfed in latest versions). And use the air force to dominate the skies and then turning them into a continuous manpower bombing and ground support machine. You should then have an army that can crack open the German lines at points and then start to exploit the breakthroughs.

According to @crackaces the Soviet Union cannot really count on being on the offensive until you have at least 6.1mn in uniform

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 3/9/2020 10:51:14 AM >

Gary Grigsby Discord https://discord.gg/8aMpk9Q

(in reply to countrboy)
Post #: 2
RE: Ideal Russian army size - 3/9/2020 11:13:02 AM   
countrboy

Thanks Telelmecus. Sound advice. It's difficult to pull those high CV units together as they're busy holding the line against the Germans but I see your point. My air force has been taking a hammering, that said, I am not completely across using it properly.

I'll try stopping the creation of extra units and focus building up some Guards Corps and hopefully they gives me sufficient firepower. Thanks again.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Ideal Russian army size Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI