Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RFI re: TOAW club For the Youth

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RFI re: TOAW club For the Youth Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RFI re: TOAW club For the Youth - 3/7/2020 9:39:49 PM   
Hellen_slith

Greetings again! I am *so* encouraged by recent developments (like uptick in TOAW interest on Steam etc.) and some comments re: TOAW as a learning tool, I have asked my local library for space once a week, to gather like minded individuals and play some Chess and my old Barbarossa game from SPI (need their space to spread out the maps and the chits ....)

Of course, the center piece for the Youth who might attend, is the Barbarossa game ... my library contact has encouraged me to pursue this project, and assured me space and internet privileges ... anyway, my request here is:

Which games might be most appealing to The Youths? Maybe the old Panzer General / Squad Leader games? I don't remember some of the official game titles ...

Also, which TOAW scenarios do you think might most appeal to The Youths? I am thinking either setting up D21 or the Russo-German War on my computer there, so as to give them a "feel" of these types of abstract games (as opposed to the "point and shoot the Aliens" that are so popular with them ...) Just sounding out what might appeal to them as far as TOAW vis-a-vis history ... maybe a short scene for the first meeting? One that they might play in the space of three hours? One of those Balkan scenes might fit, or another short 12 or 15 mover?

Okay, well, thanks for your inputs! Thank you!

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 3/8/2020 1:44:27 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: RFI re: TOAW club For the Youth - 3/7/2020 9:57:55 PM   
Lobster

Something short with few elements and lots of action. Make it personal for them when they take a side. But it's ok to lose because you learn a lot.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: RFI re: TOAW club For the Youth - 3/7/2020 10:51:34 PM   
Shadrach

That sounds like a great initiative, best of luck to you!

I think it best not to overwhelm them with massively complex stuff like the huge board games where you have to read a huge manual to even make a move, or stuff like D21 with tons of stuff to manage. I'm not even sure TOAW4 would be a good introduction with its complex mechanics and (let's be honest here) quirky interface.

Of course, don't know the age group here, but probably best to keep the games as abstract as possible at the outset at least. After all, this is in a library so wouldn't want to be accused of "glorifying war" or similar

One I'm immediately thinking of is Unity of Command 2:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/809230/Unity_of_Command_II/
I've been playing it lately, it's easy to get into and learn the basics, but mastering the different scenarios and managing a good score is a whole different matter. Some of the smaller scenes are more like puzzles, and there are some big ones where movement and planning ahead is crucial, especially thinking about supply. Scenarios are Sicily, lots of Italian and Normandy scenarios into the Bulge. Usually short scenarios, 10-15 turns max and a single game could be finished in less than an hour. So good scope for retrying with different plans and so on.

I understand Panzer Corps 2 will be out in a couple of weeks as well, and available on GOG which would allow you to install it on several machines (if you have), without any hassle with registrations and so on and not worry about breaking any laws.
https://www.gog.com/game/panzer_corps_2_field_marshal_edition

Maybe even go with stuff like the US Civil War or similar games for learning about history as well.

< Message edited by Shadrach -- 3/7/2020 10:53:01 PM >

OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)

There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 3
RE: RFI re: TOAW club For the Youth - 3/8/2020 1:34:34 AM   
Hellen_slith

Thanks for the inputs! initially, our proposed "title" of the Club is the "GP War-gaming / History Club" and the first meeting will be focused upon introductions / maybe some Chess games / and maybe a look at the old SPI board game "Barbarossa" that I have. I am hoping that we can set that up and play it out after a while.

Since Chess is a war game, I thought that that would be a good segue into these more abstract war games. I've already got the Pres. of the Library Board of Directors on board with the idea, maybe even with getting funding, so I hope it will go far.

Focus group will be middle - school / high school students, but of course we'll also try to get the parents involved and try to "land" some of the old-school gamer Dads / Grand-Dads (!!) out there who still remember the glory days of war gaming. We'll probably even get a D&D Campaign running, if a DM Dad or Grand-Dad will lend their time to it.

Wish me luck! Thanks again for the thoughts!

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 3/8/2020 1:47:15 AM >

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RFI re: TOAW club For the Youth Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI