Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Submarine Mining Operations

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Submarine Mining Operations Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Submarine Mining Operations - 3/15/2020 12:05:08 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Items to be determined:

(a) how many Mk 11s were available?

(b) did they make any more? (Probably not, one infers.)

(c) when was Argonaut's mine gear landed?

The answer to item (c) was easy to find - Conway's has it re-designated "APS1" before the Makin raid in August 1942. DANFS entry is:

quote:

On 22 January 1942, she returned to Pearl Harbor and, after a brief stop there, proceeded to the Mare Island Navy Yard for conversion to a troop transport submarine.

Argonaut returned to action in the South Pacific in August... designation was changed to APS-1 on 22 September,...

So the initial upgrade might be available in February 42, although the current 21 day period might need to be extended.

From http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WAMUS_Mines.php :

Mines on hand Dec 7, 1941 - Navy Mark 11 (planted from 40-inch tube - USS Argonaut): 200

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 31
RE: Submarine Mining Operations - 3/15/2020 9:36:34 AM   
Sardaukar

I don't have much use for SST...so running out of mines was bit of bummer...

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 32
RE: Submarine Mining Operations - 3/15/2020 10:50:32 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

For the average player, the easiest change

Wash your mouth out, this is WITP:AE.

"You may find that having is not so nearly pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
- Cdr Spock

Ian R

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 33
RE: Submarine Mining Operations - 3/15/2020 10:55:25 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Items to be determined:

(a) how many Mk 11s were available?

(b) did they make any more? (Probably not, one infers.)

(c) when was Argonaut's mine gear landed?

The answer to item (c) was easy to find - Conway's has it re-designated "APS1" before the Makin raid in August 1942. DANFS entry is:

quote:

On 22 January 1942, she returned to Pearl Harbor and, after a brief stop there, proceeded to the Mare Island Navy Yard for conversion to a troop transport submarine.

Argonaut returned to action in the South Pacific in August... designation was changed to APS-1 on 22 September,...

So the initial upgrade might be available in February 42, although the current 21 day period might need to be extended.

From http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WAMUS_Mines.php :

Mines on hand Dec 7, 1941 - Navy Mark 11 (planted from 40-inch tube - USS Argonaut): 200

TY.

What do you make of the current 21 day delay?

It cannot have taken much longer to strip out the mine rails leading to the aft chutes, but it seems there was more to it than that. Unless it was just a priority thing.

I wish Don was still about so he could give us some insight into how that was assessed.

"You may find that having is not so nearly pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
- Cdr Spock

Ian R

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 34
RE: Submarine Mining Operations - 3/15/2020 12:18:32 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

Most sources say that the conversion to SST has been carried out during the overhaul at Mare Island, but I have come across two sites which claim that the decision to get rid of the minelaying gear was taken after the refit and Argonaut's return to Pearl Harbour.

I cannot relocate the first site I came across, but here is the second which seems to be well informed:

https://fleetsubmarine.com/ss-166.html

quote:

Contrary to some published reports, Barchet was not relieved for “lack of aggression” at the end of Argonaut‘s first war patrol. His executive officer, William Post, was sent to a staff job at Pearl Harbor and Argonaut‘s dive officer, Richard O’Kane was temporarily moved up to XO. Barchet then took the boat back to Mare Island for a much-needed refit and modernization. At that point, having commanded Argonaut since 1939, he turned over the boat to Lieutenant Commander John Pierce and O’Kane left to join the pre-commissioning crew of U.S.S. Wahoo. Barchet went on to serve in a number of important posts both during and after the war.

Still designated as a mine-layer upon her return to Pearl Harbor, the decision was made to convert Argonaut into a transport submarine. Her mine handling gear was removed and her mine tubes were cut out and blanked off at the after bulkhead, with the remaining sections outside the pressure hull pierced to allow them to be free-flooding. The space formerly allocated for mines was now filled with bunks, heads, mess facilities, and washroom. About 120 Marines could be accommodated. She was redesignated APS-1 after this conversion.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Submarine Mining Operations Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI