Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: RIP Arleigh Birk On USS Honolulu 7 December 1941

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: RIP Arleigh Birk On USS Honolulu 7 December 1941 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: RIP Arleigh Birk On USS Honolulu 7 December 1941 - 2/28/2020 11:40:23 PM   
RangerJoe

Arleigh Birk, a Pearl Harbor survivor who would jokingly refer to himself as an “endangered species,” died Tuesday night at Northern Pines Care Center in Aurora. He would have turned 100 today, Feb. 27.

https://www.virginiamn.com/news/arleigh-birk-who-survived-pearl-harbor-dies/article_2cc202a0-58de-11ea-979a-4bd2b4933248.html

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 1
RE: OT: RIP Arleigh Birk On USS Honolulu 7 December ... - 2/29/2020 12:25:19 AM   
BBfanboy

At first I thought you might have meant Arleigh Burke - the only other Arleigh whose name I have seen. He may not have been the famous one, but the Arleigh Birk in the article was one of the greatest generation and we are the less for his passing. RIP old warrior!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: RIP Arleigh Birk On USS Honolulu 7 December ... - 2/29/2020 3:58:12 AM   
NigelKentarus

Not many left. I think I read in the last American Legion mag that there were only 2 or 3 USS Arizona survivors left.

Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: RIP Arleigh Birk On USS Honolulu 7 December ... - 2/29/2020 2:02:48 PM   
Q-Ball

A member of my church, TJ Smith, died earlier this year at 100. He was on the SS Republic, in the Pensacola convoy, the moment the war broke out. They had left Pearl a week earlier, bound for his assignment in the Phillipines. He was trained as a meteorologist, and was with an Army Meteorological Unit, in the days before weather channel.

The Convoy was diverted to Australia; half his unit was sent to Java, and later perished on the USS Langley when they were evacuated from Java in Feb 1942. He dodged that bullet.

He was sent to Ceylon, and later to Inner Mongolia, where the US Army had a weather station. I'll bet you didn't know the US Army was in Inner Mongolia!!!!

Anyway, he didn't see any shooting in the war, but had a couple early near-misses anyway

(in reply to NigelKentarus)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: RIP Arleigh Birk On USS Honolulu 7 December ... - 3/1/2020 4:10:04 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

A member of my church, TJ Smith, died earlier this year at 100. He was on the SS Republic, in the Pensacola convoy, the moment the war broke out. They had left Pearl a week earlier, bound for his assignment in the Phillipines. He was trained as a meteorologist, and was with an Army Meteorological Unit, in the days before weather channel.

The Convoy was diverted to Australia; half his unit was sent to Java, and later perished on the USS Langley when they were evacuated from Java in Feb 1942. He dodged that bullet.

He was sent to Ceylon, and later to Inner Mongolia, where the US Army had a weather station. I'll bet you didn't know the US Army was in Inner Mongolia!!!!

Anyway, he didn't see any shooting in the war, but had a couple early near-misses anyway

I did know about that weather station but WEB Griffith has it as a Navy/Naval Infantry station.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: RIP Arleigh Birk On USS Honolulu 7 December ... - 3/1/2020 4:46:37 PM   
spence

The US Coast Guard had a "beach patrol" training unit in China during the war training mounted soldiers and k-9s to do patrol work in the vicinity of the rather fluid front lines.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: RIP Arleigh Birk On USS Honolulu 7 December 1941 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI