Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The dreaded 88

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> The dreaded 88 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The dreaded 88 - 2/26/2020 12:54:46 AM   
superhans

So can you tell me a bit more about this beast. I was a bit surprised to read in the manual it had an offensive capability of 1 hex but as expained it makes sense in light of its devastating kill range. Given that no allied armour can effectively defeat it? (unless the combined stacked counter combat power overwhelms them? im not willing to try!). At the moment i can only think of Arty to wear them down. And what about its trad Anti air role as opposed to its Anti armour. Is it effective in both roles withing the same turn? In Order of Battle for example you need to configure it for one of the other which takes 1 turn.
Post #: 1
RE: The dreaded 88 - 2/26/2020 2:37:32 AM   
bcgames

Great questions. A bit of an essay required to dive deep into the answers. Let me start off with an outline and fill in the details over time. So...how to defeat the 88 in a nutshell:

* Avoid Them and Go Around. Focus on your objective; the enemy is trying to block your advance along the most direct avenue of approach. Juice up your units with some Move+ and get going--around the 88s.

* Fix and Bypass. Move adjacent to the hex containing the 88s--but don't attack. Send other units around towards your objective. The enemy line has to sit tight or try an withdraw while in contact to address your new approach.

* Cut-off and Kill. Find a way to cut off the 88s from their HQ to reduce their supply to extended supply or better yet--encircled supply.

* Brass 'em Up; Bash 'em Down. Reduce their strength/readiness using Combat+ artillery attacks (maybe air attacks later if the readiness of enemy AA has been reduced), then MASS ground unit combat power to attack and finish the job.

More to follow...

(in reply to superhans)
Post #: 2
RE: The dreaded 88 - 2/26/2020 4:58:32 PM   
bcgames

quote:

ORIGINAL: superhans

...And what about its trad Anti air role as opposed to its Anti armour. Is it effective in both roles withing the same turn?

Yes, a heavy anti-tank/heavy anti-aircraft unit can use its anti-air and anti-tank capability in the same turn.

(in reply to superhans)
Post #: 3
RE: The dreaded 88 - 2/27/2020 1:14:12 AM   
superhans

Thanks for that, makes sense condsidering the 8 hour length turns. Plenty of time to break it down and re-configure. I love the 88. If i was a very wealthy individual i would pay devs to make a tactical game based solely on it...it would'nt make any money but who cares! we got a game based on an 88! what's not to like lol.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 4
RE: The dreaded 88 - 2/27/2020 1:53:30 AM   
bcgames

Your game improved last turn...you are learning. Imagine those moves performed earlier in the Battle of Sollum scenario. Well done. Drive on!

(in reply to superhans)
Post #: 5
RE: The dreaded 88 - 2/27/2020 2:09:13 AM   
superhans

Thanks....Helps a lot to play regular turns. My other PBEM opponent hasn't moved for a while...I hope he's alright and if he is'nt i wish him well.

Still a lot to learn about massed armour attacks. What are the stacking limits again?

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 6
RE: The dreaded 88 - 2/27/2020 2:31:29 AM   
bcgames

You can have eight stacking points (SPs) per hex at any one moment in time during game-play. Which means you need to un-f**k your moves as part of your plan. If you plot 24 SPs to all move into/through the same hex that can only handle 8 SPs at the same time, then your cunning plan--isn't. Use the Hotkey W (Wait) to de-conflict the required movements of your plan. The game will reward intentional movement plans; on occasion it will punish slinging units about willy-nilly...the dreaded traffic jam created by trying to have more than 8 SPs transit the same hex at the same time.

(in reply to superhans)
Post #: 7
RE: The dreaded 88 - 2/27/2020 1:19:17 PM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: superhans

Thanks....Helps a lot to play regular turns. My other PBEM opponent hasn't moved for a while...I hope he's alright and if he is'nt i wish him well.

Still a lot to learn about massed armour attacks. What are the stacking limits again?

Hi, you can see the current stacking size vs limits (and other info) by pressing the K hotkey. This will show it on screen when the cursor is over a hex (there's a delay of a second or so before it shows).

There's an improvement coming in the next patch that'll show this stuff on the right too.

(in reply to superhans)
Post #: 8
RE: The dreaded 88 - 3/2/2020 1:48:48 PM   
superhans

Hi there, just wanted to say GG. Unfortunately I can't send a message before resigning. Lessons learned? yes, shock is most, or is it only, effective is open terrain.
Well played.

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 9
RE: The dreaded 88 - 3/2/2020 3:04:58 PM   
bcgames

No problem. Thanks for the play.

(in reply to superhans)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> The dreaded 88 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI