Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: North African campaign war game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: North African campaign war game? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: North African campaign war game? - 2/23/2020 5:07:24 PM   
Karri

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster
But if you want to play a game where time and space are thrown out the window be my guest. It isn't my cup of tea. Have a nice day.

Like, chess?

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 31
RE: North African campaign war game? - 2/23/2020 5:16:58 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karri

quote:

But if you want to play a game where time and space are thrown out the window be my guest. It isn't my cup of tea. Have a nice day.

Like, chess?

Competition chess is timed.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 32
RE: North African campaign war game? - 2/24/2020 9:04:01 AM   
countrboy

quote:

warspite1

Hi countrboy

I am longing for a proper land, sea and air War In The Mediterranean game - but suspect this will never be commercially viable

I'd never played TOAW before but bought TOAWIV simply because of the North African campaign.

Its not perfect (what game is?) but it was well worth the money. The downside is that the game isn't designed for this campaign and so, as ever, there are niggles about realism etc. The game also lacks the necessary naval aspect so vital to the war in the Med (there is a Royal Navy presence but its not great to be honest - but that may be because I am a naval warfare fanboy so wanted a Regia Marina presence too).

But....

The game is fun. It's challenging yes, but in all the right ways a war game should be, but without being a ball-ache. It's colourful, it's immersive, the campaign is at a good scale that allows the player to be really 'involved' with their squadrons and battalions. Being able to 'play' with the great regiments of the past does it for me!

Desert Rats was da bomb! My first experience of computer war gaming and - like you - have been hoping for something decent ever since. I don't think you will be disappointed in TOAWIV for this campaign alone.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4413713&mpage=1&key=

Hi warspite1, thanks for the link, I just finished reading your AAR (every page and every post - I have not been very productive the past few days!). It was a great read and thoroughly enjoyable. I think I'l definitely pick up TOAW and learn the game before looking for an opponent who wants to re-fight the North African campaign.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 33
RE: North African campaign war game? - 2/25/2020 5:10:33 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: countrboy

quote:

warspite1

Hi countrboy

I am longing for a proper land, sea and air War In The Mediterranean game - but suspect this will never be commercially viable

I'd never played TOAW before but bought TOAWIV simply because of the North African campaign.

Its not perfect (what game is?) but it was well worth the money. The downside is that the game isn't designed for this campaign and so, as ever, there are niggles about realism etc. The game also lacks the necessary naval aspect so vital to the war in the Med (there is a Royal Navy presence but its not great to be honest - but that may be because I am a naval warfare fanboy so wanted a Regia Marina presence too).

But....

The game is fun. It's challenging yes, but in all the right ways a war game should be, but without being a ball-ache. It's colourful, it's immersive, the campaign is at a good scale that allows the player to be really 'involved' with their squadrons and battalions. Being able to 'play' with the great regiments of the past does it for me!

Desert Rats was da bomb! My first experience of computer war gaming and - like you - have been hoping for something decent ever since. I don't think you will be disappointed in TOAWIV for this campaign alone.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4413713&mpage=1&key=

Hi warspite1, thanks for the link, I just finished reading your AAR (every page and every post - I have not been very productive the past few days!). It was a great read and thoroughly enjoyable. I think I'l definitely pick up TOAW and learn the game before looking for an opponent who wants to re-fight the North African campaign.
warspite1

Thank-you for the kind feedback. It was a lot of fun. It's nice to have a play in the sand - just a shame there wasn't a bit more water Good luck with the game.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to countrboy)
Post #: 34
RE: North African campaign war game? - 2/27/2020 10:47:09 PM   
Hellen_slith

That's a great thread, had not seen that AAR before. I've got a few games going in Bob's CfNA for TOAW ... it is a lot of fun scene to play, and not so overwhelming (like FitE) as it gives a lot of leeway to maneuver in the desert. And, it is pretty quick to play through your moves, my game w/ Gen. JCL is on move 100 or so already, and we can turn the moves pretty quickly.

TOAW is well worth the money if you like to "recreate" the feel of some of those old SPI games, esp. that North Africa scene.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 35
RE: North African campaign war game? - 2/28/2020 2:46:25 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karri

quote:

Like, chess?

Or checkers.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 36
RE: North African campaign war game? - 2/28/2020 12:05:28 PM   
altipueri

Do any of these games allow for the Germans reading the US codes?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_(code)

A sort of reverse Enigma

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 37
RE: North African campaign war game? - 2/28/2020 5:17:53 PM   
operating

warspite1

Been looking here: "The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - no devoncop please" trying to find your AAR. Either my eyes are failing me, for I can't find your AAR. There's approx. 2 and a half pages of AARs, did see one of yours that looked older than the one you posted here.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 38
RE: North African campaign war game? - 2/28/2020 10:49:54 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: operating

warspite1

Been looking here: "The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - no devoncop please" trying to find your AAR. Either my eyes are failing me, for I can't find your AAR. There's approx. 2 and a half pages of AARs, did see one of yours that looked older than the one you posted here.
warspite1

Go to the page and click "All topics" where it says "Display topics from last:". This will display 6 pages.

Attachment (1)

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 39
RE: North African campaign war game? - 2/29/2020 3:27:57 AM   
operating

OK, got it..!! Thanks

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 40
RE: North African campaign war game? - 3/2/2020 12:35:46 PM   
Freyr Oakenshield

These will allow playing in Africa, not sure if the entire campaign, though:

1. War on the Southern Front
2. Selected Panzer Campaigns

edit: actually, pretty sure not the entire campaign, but worth a try nonetheless
edit 2: on second thought, I think War on the Southern Front might...

< Message edited by Freyr Oakenshield -- 3/2/2020 12:38:16 PM >

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 41
RE: North African campaign war game? - 3/2/2020 1:25:40 PM   
Lobster

Maybe someday someone will get crazy and make a digital version of SPI's Campaign for North Africa. I had it and me and a couple of other friends played it for a few months. It was more like running a business than playing a game.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

(in reply to Freyr Oakenshield)
Post #: 42
RE: North African campaign war game? - 3/2/2020 8:58:56 PM   
Michael T

Apparently Decision games are going to reprint CFNA. If they do I might pick it up.

As for Southern Front. It does not have a campaign. I did build a campaign scenario for it but it needed some extra coding to make it work. Didn't happen.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 43
RE: North African campaign war game? - 3/2/2020 9:02:26 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael T

Apparently Decision games are going to reprint CFNA. If they do I might pick it up.

As for Southern Front. It does not have a campaign. I did build a campaign scenario for it but it needed some extra coding to make it work. Didn't happen.

I would like to see JTS do a campaign scenario, like they've done with some of their other games.

A digital version of CFNA would be great.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 44
RE: North African campaign war game? - 3/2/2020 9:10:36 PM   
Michael T

As I recall (this is going back about 9 or 10 years) all I needed for the scenario to work was a refined replacements system and a unit upgrade system, including air units. Not much really. I did all the OOB work. Just a bit of code was needed. Shame, I still have all the data.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: North African campaign war game? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI