Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bit of News on Multiplayer

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Bit of News on Multiplayer Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bit of News on Multiplayer - 2/11/2020 2:18:47 PM   
kevinkins

https://www.wargamer.com/articles/command-modern-operations-multiplayer/

Article dated Feb. 10, 2020.

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

Post #: 1
RE: Bit of News on Multiplayer - 2/11/2020 2:49:20 PM   
Primarchx

I've been on the fence about multiplayer over the years, but I'm open to it at this point. I think the parameters for professional multiplayer and casual player multiplayer are somewhat divergent. In particular I think the multiplayer experience in Command will be more tailored for the Pro environment and that us casual players will have to use that interface and accept the associated complications of a tool made for a training purpose and not entertainment. Just spit-ballin', though.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 2
RE: Bit of News on Multiplayer - 2/12/2020 7:31:04 PM   
Gunner98

I too have been on the fence about this - mostly for two reasons 1) distraction of the Dev's time & effort for a substantial capability, and 2) multi-player can change the face of the community, not always, but not always for the better either.

Two aspects of multi-player that I think would be useful even for the commercial player however are:

1) having a livening thinking enemy will make for a whole new experience, and
2) making very large scenarios (mia culpa) easier to play by dividing the workload.

As long as the Devs are building the capability for the pro edition and it can (or will) be easily transferred to the commercial edition, I'm OK with that and can come off the fence.

Watching but not holding my breath.

B

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 3
RE: Bit of News on Multiplayer - 2/12/2020 10:12:35 PM   
kevinkins

I agree. Not holding my breath either. It's almost like people are afraid to show off their skills i.e. afraid to lose to a fellow community member. I know I would get my head handed to me. Don't care. But in the process it would be fun and maybe generated new ideas and friendships.

Kevin

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 4
RE: Bit of News on Multiplayer - 2/12/2020 10:29:36 PM   
thewood1

One of the biggest issues is going to be finding people willing to commit to playing in short spurts. I'll play for 15 minutes before something from work or home intervenes. Its why I only poke around at multiplayer except in turn-based games.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 5
RE: Bit of News on Multiplayer - 2/12/2020 10:49:14 PM   
kevinkins

I think you could make Command "turned based" sort of like Combat Mission. That game has a small but very dedicated group of gamers exchanging files all the time. I am on the fence on this too. Is it worth the development time etc.? But I don't think a basic email system would be that cumbersome to develop. Would that be real time Command vs the AI? No. Interesting to play another human? Definitely Yes.

Kevin

― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 6
RE: Bit of News on Multiplayer - 2/12/2020 11:27:42 PM   
thewood1

I am very familiar with CM. And right now, Command is not really capable of WEGO with out some way to effectively review what has happened in the turn. The recorder is fidgety, resource hungry, and not really suitable for a WEGO-like game.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 7
RE: Bit of News on Multiplayer - 2/12/2020 11:52:55 PM   
kevinkins

The player really only needs the message log. Yes, rewinding the turn would be cool. But I think a basic WEGO system is in the reach of the developers within maybe a day or two of programming. Everything is in place. But this is one of those "nice to have" features. Twenty Five years ago, we all got into playing wargames via email. I would like to try Command against another human even if the system is not perfect. I am thinking we will have Multiplayer by the end of the year. Just a guess however. I have seen stats that only about 10% of wargamers play head to head against another human. Nice to try with Command? Yes. Critical for the developers? No.

Kevin

― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 8
RE: Bit of News on Multiplayer - 2/13/2020 12:33:20 AM   
Primarchx

I'm not sure why turn-based would work in a real-time game. Wouldn't each player just play in the time-stream with some sort of mutual agreement time compression function?

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 9
RE: Bit of News on Multiplayer - 2/13/2020 10:29:27 AM   
thewood1

Its sort fo set up now with the time increment run time. But again, without a real granular replay ability, I am skeptical it would work. I think MP in large scenarios would be a mess if played in increments.

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 10
RE: Bit of News on Multiplayer - 2/13/2020 10:48:10 AM   
DWReese

Sorry, but I have no interest in the game having a multiplayer option.

I do recognize that others like it, but I would never use it. To me, it's similar to the TacView option, which I don't use either.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Bit of News on Multiplayer Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI