Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How does max number of SUs work?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> How does max number of SUs work? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How does max number of SUs work? - 2/10/2020 11:12:02 PM   
juv95hrn

"Normally the maximum number of attached support units that can be
committed by an HQ to a single battle is 6."

Fair enough.

"Artillery (ART, MORT, ROCKET, AT) support units have priority to be committed into a battle during a special commitment phase. During this round of commitments, defending HQ's have a chance of committing 3 more than the normal limit of
committed HQs (so 9 or 21 instead of 6 or 18). After this round, the normal commitment round is conducted."

So first you can attach 3 arty units quite easily. And then commit up to 6 more units with normal chance? Meaning you should try to keep at least 3 arty units if possible?

• They may also be increased by the level of fortification in the defending hex.

Ok, how much?

Is it 3 times as easy to commit in light and heavy Urban (max 18 units), or is it more or less a waste to commit more than 6 anyways, because the last 12 rolls will be near impossible?

Could anyone shed some light on how easy/hard it actually is to get commitment of SUs depending on the circumstances?
Post #: 1
RE: How does max number of SUs work? - 2/12/2020 1:59:27 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: juv95hrn

Fair enough.

"Artillery (ART, MORT, ROCKET, AT) support units have priority to be committed into a battle during a special commitment phase. During this round of commitments, defending HQ's have a chance of committing 3 more than the normal limit of
committed HQs (so 9 or 21 instead of 6 or 18). After this round, the normal commitment round is conducted."

So first you can attach 3 arty units quite easily. And then commit up to 6 more units with normal chance? Meaning you should try to keep at least 3 arty units if possible?

• They may also be increased by the level of fortification in the defending hex.

Ok, how much?

Is it 3 times as easy to commit in light and heavy Urban (max 18 units), or is it more or less a waste to commit more than 6 anyways, because the last 12 rolls will be near impossible?

Could anyone shed some light on how easy/hard it actually is to get commitment of SUs depending on the circumstances?

The decision to attach artillery to HQ's I might propose is beyond simple numbers. For example, supply is a consideration, certain SU's use more supply than other SU's. So you could get say 9 210mm howitzer units attached and use up all the available ammunition. Some of the artillery units have high ammunition usage. So rather than just think 3 artillery SU's -- I think if I close to a rail or far away? How many attacks will the HQ support? Then assign artillery and flak accordingly.

Also you might consider beyond how many you could possibly attach with the enemy disposition and what you are trying to accomplish offensively or defensively. For example, attackers are considered fort level 0 and in the open. So rate of fire and engaging as many devices and squads as possible might be a better use of SU's than slower ROF but a larger blast effect. So the decision might be beyond how many SU's can I get committed to a certain battle.

How I read this rule is on the attack you can get 3 artillery and 3 flak units for a total of 6 SU's plus SU's directly attached to divisions ( I am a German Fanboy). I do know that artillery attached to forts on the defense are not counted toward the HQ -- so you can get 3 SU's from the fort plus 3 from a HQ for 6 artillery and 3 flak. Then there are multiple HQ's at the cost of CV penalties.

Also know that die rolls can influence if artillery is committed at all. I have has HQ's fail die rolls and nothing is committed.

BTW) Combat in Light urban and urban hexes have a die roll to start at very short ranges and defensive units firing first. So the battle tends to be a knife fight. Long range artillery and tanks are engaged at short ranges. For a German fanboy the short ranged rockets get off shots very early in the combat rounds.

So without high jacking the thread about numbers .. I thought I would add it is about a lot more ..

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to juv95hrn)
Post #: 2
RE: How does max number of SUs work? - 2/12/2020 5:10:27 PM   
king171717

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: juv95hrn

Fair enough.

Ok, how much?

The decision to attach artillery to HQ's I might propose is beyond simple numbers. For example, supply is a consideration, certain SU's use more supply than other SU's. So you could get say 9 210mm howitzer units attached and use up all the available ammunition. Some of the artillery units have high ammunition usage. So rather than just think 3 artillery SU's -- I think if I close to a rail or far away? How many attacks will the HQ support? Then assign artillery and flak accordingly.

Also you might consider beyond how many you could possibly attach with the enemy disposition and what you are trying to accomplish offensively or defensively. For example, attackers are considered fort level 0 and in the open. So rate of fire and engaging as many devices and squads as possible might be a better use of SU's than slower ROF but a larger blast effect. So the decision might be beyond how many SU's can I get committed to a certain battle.

How I read this rule is on the attack you can get 3 artillery and 3 flak units for a total of 6 SU's plus SU's directly attached to divisions ( I am a German Fanboy). I do know that artillery attached to forts on the defense are not counted toward the HQ -- so you can get 3 SU's from the fort plus 3 from a HQ for 6 artillery and 3 flak. Then there are multiple HQ's at the cost of CV penalties.

Also know that die rolls can influence if artillery is committed at all. I have has HQ's fail die rolls and nothing is committed.

BTW) Combat in Light urban and urban hexes have a die roll to start at very short ranges and defensive units firing first. So the battle tends to be a knife fight. Long range artillery and tanks are engaged at short ranges. For a German fanboy the short ranged rockets get off shots very early in the combat rounds.

So without high jacking the thread about numbers .. I thought I would add it is about a lot more ..

Great info! Thank u

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> How does max number of SUs work? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI