From: Portaferry, N. Ireland
This comes from my game with Cohen. This is the first game I have played where one side made a serious effort to deploy subs, it being more viable since their cost came down. Has thrown up a few issues, nothing insoluable but just needs some fine tuning.
1. The early war escorts are worse than useless. Many more of them get lost on convoy duty than damage they inflict on subs. Allies would be better taking them off convoy duty until their tech level improves than wasting PPs on building more. Escorts need to fight better from '39.
We didn't get into '42 so not sure how the play balance is then. Another consideration is Axis escorts. Germany and Italy are NEVER going to be able to invest in anti-sub technology which gives Allied subs a totally free hand.
2. Carriers are the main counter to subs early war. Are also pretty ineffective, which may be reasonable - am not sure. However the Allies can send their unescorted carriers to chase subs risk free. I did a test, one unescorted carrier against a stack of 3 subs. The carrier won every time. Given the number of carriers that were sunk by subs during WW2 this is not right. Probably not a big deal for Warplan as it is a minor area of the game but doesn't feel right.
3. Anti-sub Strategic bombers are hopeless early war, that is a lot of investment and not sure if they even scored one hit. The only sub I lost was bombed in port. That's not right either.
4. The Baltic. Once Russia joins the war they can send their surface fleet and subs out to harry the Baltic convoys. Axis have no counter, I tried bombing them - you could tie up 3 bombers for the whole of '41 and achieve almost nothing. And it costs a lot of oil. The only Axis response is to take Leningrad, then they run out of oil and cannot attack but just sit there ad infinitum until Axis are pushed back somewhere.
Here is a tactic for the Allies, send the British subs into the Baltic before Denmark falls. They are at no risk and will do serious damage once Russia joins the war.
5. Overall would say that the UK can just about survive the sub war by just building lots of MM and chasing them with carriers. As long as Gibraltar/Spain are not taken by Axis, if that happens then UK will lose a lot of production because they just cannot defend the Pacific convoy.
The one change I think is necessary is booost the early war escorts. The rest is not so critical.