Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

MI 24'S equipped with MISS iles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> MI 24'S equipped with MISS iles Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MI 24'S equipped with MISS iles - 2/7/2020 8:20:56 PM   
Zakalwe101

Below is an exert from a document I found on the internet site https://web.archive.org/web/20100323174631/http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_214.shtml, (an article analysing a claim an Iranian F4 was shot down by an Iraqi MI 24 equipped AT 6 ATGM ) which I think provides a comment on the quality of soviet ATGM’s.
“the 9M114 (AT-6A) – was so poorly manufactured that it constantly failed even when tested under ideal conditions.
This fact was confirmed by a series of tests conducted by the US Army on the Aberdeen Proving Grounds during the 1980s and 1990s under the code-name Passive Nova 1, 2, and 3, respectively, and using a total of 120 AT-6s clandestinely purchased from different East European sources. Conducted by top US Army personnel, expertly trained in the use of Soviet-produced weapons systems, these tests showed that only four out of 100 AT-6s fired against targets moving at speeds of up to 15km/h would score a hit and destroy the target. The testing against stationary targets ended with only slightly better results, as only eleven out of 100 AT-6s would hit and destroy the target – and that while being fired from a fixed tower, not from a helicopter diving at high speed and flown by a crew under stress and in hurry! US Army personnel concluded from the tests that the most reliable part of the AT-6 was the warhead (despite its small diameter) and that the weapon was highly efficient – if it managed to score a hit, which, however, would did not happen very often. In short, not only that these facts completely contradict Russian sources which claim a hit probability of 70-80% for the AT-6, but - statistically - there is also no possibility that the AT-6A could hit a target moving at 350-500 knots while fired from a helicopter which is also moving. As a matter of fact, the claimed hit probability of 70-80% for the AT-6 is probably valid only for the AT-6B and AT-6C versions, and only for rounds fired during the trials in the later 1990s. In 1994, the Russians have completely rebuilt and upgraded their whole remaining stock of AT-6-missiles. Obviously, they have had good reasons to do so!”
May be MI 24’s are not to be feared so much ?
Post #: 1
RE: MI 24'S equipped with MISS iles - 2/27/2020 8:17:47 AM   
MaxDamage

The spiral/kokon/ataka ATGM are good against other helos because they are supersonic. Some of these missiles and also the Vikhr ATGM have proximity fuse and/or fragmentation/double duty HEAT/FRAG warhead that will take out low flying/slow <800 kmh planes and helicopters. AT-6 also had variants with frag warhead but Vikhr has frag effect by default.

helicopters were taken out with spiral/Kokon but that aircraft that was shot down by a mi24 im pretty sure was shot by unguided rockets s5.

< Message edited by MaxDamage -- 2/27/2020 8:20:36 AM >

(in reply to Zakalwe101)
Post #: 2
RE: MI 24'S equipped with MISS iles - 2/27/2020 10:15:59 AM   
Searry

I think most of the MI-24s are armed with AT-9 Spandrel-2 in the game.

(in reply to MaxDamage)
Post #: 3
RE: MI 24'S equipped with MISS iles - 2/28/2020 12:33:10 PM   
CapnDarwin

Loadout will depend on which version in the data was used in the scenario.

Work on Southern Storm continues as we squish bugs and work on features.

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Searry)
Post #: 4
RE: MI 24'S equipped with MISS iles - 2/28/2020 8:43:08 PM   
Zakalwe101

Re reading the whole article essentially there was zero evidence that a Mi24 shotdown a Iranian F4. The tests carried out on the AT 6 Spiral would suggest that they are not good at hitting moving helicopters if they can't hit something moving at no more than 15kph more than 4% of the time.

The fact that the missiles are supersonic does not necessarily indicate an efficiency in shooting down air targets - the woeful British Blowpipe missile could manage MACH 1.5 but it's performance was abysmal even against Helicopters in Afghanistan.

The only information I can find relating to the accurracy of the AT 9 SPIRAL 2 ATAKA is wikipeadia which gives a .65 to .9 accuracy hitting an mbt at 4km , the citation for that is an article in Russian on a website called airwar.ru - I've no idea as to the reliability of that website. if true that would represent an astonishing leap in the technology to go from an accuracy of .04 to .65 ?

it's quite confusing but I've found that
NATO NAME SPIRAL AT 6 is the 9M114 Kokon
NATO name SPANDREL AT 5 is the 9M113 Konkurs, not Helicopter launched.
NATO name SPIRAL 2 AT 9 is the 9M120 Ataka.
NATO name AT-16 Scallion is the 9K121 Vikhr

(in reply to MaxDamage)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> MI 24'S equipped with MISS iles Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI