Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

End September 1915: Not so quiet on the Western Front

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> AAR >> End September 1915: Not so quiet on the Western Front Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
End September 1915: Not so quiet on the Western Front - 2/16/2020 8:08:00 PM   
The Land

End September 1915: Not so quiet on the Western Front

I wasn't wrong about Serbia. The next turn, 7 German Corps and 2 Cavalry Corps materialise. Clearly they are preparing to mount a counterattack!

Meanwhile, the Western Front has hardly been quiet. On the Belgian sector, the Allied troops have crossed the Dyle and pushed East as far as Liege. The Germans attacked again at Epinal with huge artillery support and briefly held it, before being pushed out by an immediate counterattack.

However, more than the territory changing hands, look at the intelligence about the German lines. You will see an HQ and an artillery in the front lines, and several HQs just behind the lines. The Germans have clearly weakened themselves here to reinforce Serbia.

(House rules update: After losing Epinal again the French gained another chit, invested in Trench Warfare. The British a few turns ago lost their Cavalry Corps to a counterattack in Belgium, this got them their 2nd chit, invested in Infantry Weapons. Because of the restrictions on what Britain can spend on land research it's completed Level 1 Naval Weapons and Antisubmarine Warfare already...)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by The Land -- 2/16/2020 8:10:00 PM >

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 31
November 1915: The rain in Thrace falls mainly on the... - 2/17/2020 8:12:07 PM   
The Land

November 1915: The rain in Thrace falls mainly on the...

Excellent news in the Dardanelles! Gallipolli and Sedd el Bahr are both in Entente hands. Gallipolli fell first, its trench lines outflanked by the French advancing along the Aegean coast. The garrison of Sedd el Bahr held out valiantly but was ultimately defeated by V Corps making another amphibious landing. Adrianople is under siege and before long Constantinople will be too! How long can the Turks last?

British newspaper headlines are full of news about the valiant exploits of the Marines, Army and Navy in the Dardanelles and are rather less emphatic about the role of the French advancing from Salonika, without whom the whole thing might have been a fiasco. But Churchill is talked of as a future Prime Minister, a possible successor to the increasingly unpopular and indecisive Asquith...

In the North Sea the confusing action off the Norwegian coast has continued. The Grand Fleet has now destroyed one German dreadnought and two battlecruisers, as well as 6 destroyer squadrons. Entente losses are several light and heavy cruisers, which is a very acceptable loss ratio. The British heavy fleet units have largely withdrawn to port for repairs and rearming, though British destroyers are heavily engaging the large number of German submarines in the area. The eastern section of the blockade line is unguarded, but this is a necessary step to avoid German dreadnoughts having the opportunity to engage mine on favourable terms. Who knows what is lurking in the mist?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 32
March 1916: The Fifteentifirst Battle of Adrianople - 2/19/2020 7:30:40 PM   
The Land

March 1916: The Fifteentifirst Battle of Adrianople

It's now March 1916, and the Entente have successfully taken Adrianople, in the 14th, 15th, 16th, or possibly 17th Battle of Adrianople depending on which of the minor ones in the classical period you count.

French troops have reached Constantinople, which is prepared for a long siege. The Ottoman troops are extremely well dug-in, and in a much better state than the Entente troops in the area who are suffering from months of heavy fighting in conditions of poor supply. Still, there is probably enough Entente force in the area to eventually take the city. You will note the Indian Artillery are present on this front, and have accumulated a large stock of shells that will likely be vital to the success of the attack.

You'll also observe Ottoman troops have re-crossed the Straits and are now threatening Sedd el Bahr again. The cheek! Fortunately this is no longer critical to my supply lines, and if I am particularly sharp I'll be able to cut them off and pocket them.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by The Land -- 2/19/2020 7:36:04 PM >

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 33
March 1916: Overall roundup - 2/19/2020 7:52:43 PM   
The Land

March 1916: Overall roundup

I won't screenshot other fronts but they are in more or less the same place as September 1915.

National Morale stands as follows:
UK 93% (47/50)
France 75% (45/45)
Serbia 74% (15/20)
Russia 56% (25/45)
Germany 59% (30/50)
Austria-Hungary 44% (14/32)
Ottomans 56% (12/22)
US War Entry is at 18%

On the whole I still think I am winning, but nothing is certain. The Western Front will be very tough in 1916 as the Germans are digging in at Entrenchment 5. There is more French artillery on the way but it will be tough to make any real gains. In Serbia there there are more opportunities because it's more possible to bully the very weak Austro-Hungarian units, but probably the AI can deploy enough German units to prevent any significant gains there. Austria-Hungary might have very little offensive ability at the moment but it also isn't going to collapse in the coming year as there is no way to capture large numbers of towns.

The Central Powers' path to victory is if they are able to take significant ground in Russia against the Russian AI. The Russians are running out of troops to hold their line so them collapsing is a real possibility. That will result in Russian morale falling, possibly to crisis levels, at the same time as raising German morale. A scenario where Russia collapses is still distinctly possible.

My path to victory is continued attritional warfare. Beating the Ottomans would be a significant advantage as it would raise Russian morale and free up the Caucasus Army, as well as creating the opportunity for the British and French to advance through Bulgaria into Austria-Hungary. Romania has also just entered the war as part of the Entente, though it is being quite passive at the moment (under Russian control)

The brightest spot is at sea. Austria-Hungary has one pre-dreadnought and one light cruiser; their new dreadnought was sunk after docking in a port within artillery range of the British. Germany has lost 2 battlecruisers and a dreadnought and all its many destroyers for little compensation. The British are building many more destroyers with ASW tech. So it seems like the surface battle in the Mediterranean is won, the balance of forces in the North Sea is very favourable, and the submarine war is in a good state.

< Message edited by The Land -- 2/20/2020 6:33:39 AM >

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 34
May 1916: Siege of Constantinople, Siege of Sofia, Seco... - 2/20/2020 8:24:53 PM   
The Land

May 1916: Siege of Constantinople, Siege of Sofia, Second Battle of the Straits

Lots going on the Thracian-Balkan Front in May 1916.

As you can see, Entente units are moving into position to besiege Constantinople. Airships have been transported from Britain and France in an attempt to reduce supply in the Ottoman capital, which will be an important step to successful siegeing (the Ottomans have defied reason by not simply surrendering when the Royal Navy entered the Sea of Marmara). Artillery is almost in position, and we may be able to attack in June.

Also, Turkish troops have reoccupied the Gallipolli peninsula. They will be cut off and destroyed. I'm aiming to reconnoitre Smyrna and nearby to see if there is any prospect of the French Marines making a landing elsewhere on the coast, to support a push inland by British troops moving across the Straits.

Further, what's that happening on the West side of this map? Yes, that's right, Sofia is under siege! Serbs have moved in from the north-west, while a Belgian detachment is about to push up from Salonika to assist. (After all, there are 2 Belgian detachments of very limited use on the Western Front, might as well get them to do something!) Sofia is at Supply 4 currently so it's likely to fall without too much effort.

You'll also observe the Bulgarian HQ is out on the open next to French field units, and will be destroyed this turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by The Land -- 2/20/2020 8:25:38 PM >

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 35
May 1916: Sinai and the Holy Land - 2/20/2020 8:33:36 PM   
The Land

May 1916: Sinai and the Holy Land

Also in May 1916, the British have been able to concentrate enough force to make a move out of Egypt and towards Palestine. Turkish units have been pocketed near El Arish and will ultimately be defeated. The Australian Cavalry has been able to advance as far as Beersheba. There isn't enough strength to push on to Jerusalem yet particular as the supply situation is dire (with no HQ). But still it may prove possible to take other objectives - Aqaba particularly as that will inspire even more Arabs to revolt against Turkish rule.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by The Land -- 2/28/2020 8:58:02 PM >

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 36
July 1916: Constantinople and the Straits, again - 2/24/2020 8:24:07 PM   
The Land

July 1916: Constantinople and the Straits, again

Constantinople is proving a tough nut to crack. With only one adjacent land hex, the city's supply is not reduced as would be normal in a siege - that requires 2 adjacent units. My 2 airship counters are worthless as strategic bombers because I haven't invested in technology - they are effectively dropping hand grenades, which probably scare some Turkish donkeys but have no material impact. There is a Russian dreadnought that can do shore bombardment, but that has almost no effect on its own. British ships can't do shore bombardment as they are next to port hexes not the actual city. At least the port is at zero supply.

The only path to success is hoping that I can beat the defending Corps down far enough on repeated turns that its readiness falls very far. But that seems difficult.

The alternative plan is to take western Turkey so that I can besiege Constantinople from both sides. This is not necessarily much faster, as the Turks are turtled down in Corps strength on every town along the path. The British Cavalry Corps took heavy losses after a somewhat too-dashing dash across the Straits leaving its supply lines vulnerable. Fortunately a relief operation was able to seize Chanak and secure the supply lines, though they may still be destroyed by counterattacks.

In other good news, Sofia is almost completely invested by Serbs and Belgians and will fall in a turn or two.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by The Land -- 2/28/2020 8:57:36 PM >

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 37
July 1916: Let he who is without Sinai... - 2/24/2020 8:43:00 PM   
The Land

July 1916: Let he who is without Sinai...

On the Sinai Front, the British are in the process of rounding up the Ottoman troops which advanced towards Egypt. The Australian Light Cavalry have penetrated as far as Amman, though their supply lines are at great risk. Will this prove to be a bold stroke or a reckless gamble?

In a month or so, a British HQ (Smith-Dorrien) will arrive, which will put the British force on a much more effective footing and enable the capture of targets such as Aqaba or Jerusalem more or less at leisure, unless the Turks find an army capable of counterattacking from somewhere.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 38
July 1916: a thousand and one Arabian Knights - 2/24/2020 8:50:46 PM   
The Land

July 1916: a thousand and one Arabian Knights

A quick update from the Arab revolt. Arabia is a quiet backwater of no geostrategic importance, except for being the site of two of the three most important sites in Islam, at Mecca and Medina. Ottoman dominion over the region has long been unpopular, and British money and arms supplies have been more than sufficient to prompt a large Arabian revolt.

The Arabs are now laying siege to Medina, and are almost certain to succeed, in the long run. Another blow to Ottoman prestige and morale. How long can the Ottomans last? (Longer than the Russians? Who knows!)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 39
July 1916: The Valjevo Salient - 2/24/2020 8:56:50 PM   
The Land

July 1916: The Valjevo Salient

On the Serbian front, British Empire and Serbian troops have recaptured the town of Valjevo - creating a long salient that separates the Austrian/German troop concentration in northern Serbia from the less well-protected Bosnia-Herzegovnia and the Adriatic coastline.

It's really uncertain whether there are enough troops in the area to accomplish this, so breakthroughs are unlikely. But still, any further reverses could be catastrophic for Austro-Hungarian morale, pulling it below 40%...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 40
July 1916: Bloody July on the Moselle - 2/24/2020 9:05:47 PM   
The Land

July 1916: Bloody July on the Moselle

On the Western Front, Germany has been relentlessly counterattacking on the Ardennes and Moselle fronts. On several occasions the Germans now have been able to destroy even well-entrenched front line Corps and break into the rear areas, inflicting damage on artillery and HQs. On every occasion they have been thrown back with bloody losses - so far. Entente offensive capability is very limited against enemy units that are fantastically well entrenched.

Further progress to targets like Aachen, Luxemburg or Metz is considered very unlikely in the short term and the risk of the enemy taking a major French fort e.g. Verdun cannot be ruled out. Still, we have sufficient reserves to almost guarantee that any German advance will be limited in scope.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 41
July 1916: The Live Bait Squadron - 2/24/2020 9:28:00 PM   
The Land

July 1916: The Live Bait Squadron

In the North Sea, the Royal Navy is mounting an offensive operation. Reconaissance by submarines located a German destroyer flotilla creating a mine barrier off the Frisian Islands, supported by a dreadnought squadron. HMS Queen Elizabeth, stationed in the Channel, sortied to sink the minelaying destroyers. The entire Grand Fleet has left its stations in the North Sea on the blockade line, to cover Queen Elizabeth. Hopefully German dreadnoughts will try to attack the retreating battleship - and be sunk.

The submarine war has also intensified recently. German submarines have been conducting unrestricted operations off the West coast of the UK, with a noticeable impact on British food supplies and morale. Fortunately several German submarines have been sunk and we have recently commissioned extra destroyers and coastal motor boats. Britain has 2 levels of ASW tech, which is very useful at this point.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 42
July 1916: House Rules update - 2/24/2020 9:56:33 PM   
The Land

Also a quick update on how the house rules are affecting the game!

As you will see, I have gone to town on Salonika and the Dardanelles. The jury is still out on whether this is a good move or not. Usually in single-player I'd just hammer the Germans and Austrians, until the Austrians surrender. However, with the Western Front crippled by giving Germany a tech advantage, and the Eastern Front crippled by having the AI play as Russia with a disadvantage against the Central Powers AI, that doesn't really work. So investing time in taking down the Ottomans is probably well spent. But I think that I'd probably have had more payoff by investing more effort in Egypt and possibly Mesopotamia.

In terms of research 'chits', at the start of the turn the position is as follows.
Britain: 8 earned, 2 as yet unspent, 6 spent on: Infantry Weapons, Infantry Warfare, Trench Warfare x 3, building Smith-Dorrien HQ
France: 9 earned, 2 as yet unspent, 7 spent on: Infantry Weapons x2, Infantry Warfare, Trench Warfare x 3, Gas and Shell Production
USA: 3 earned, none spent.

note that parts of that research hasn't completed yet!

This has, as intended, resulted in me diverting my spend away from some 'obvious' techs and towards some less obvious ones, while also creating a tech advantage for Germany. Which in turn has meant there's been more reason to focus on areas that aren't the Western Front. Good fun!

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 43
August 1916: Sofia falls, Sarajevo under siege - 2/25/2020 8:27:17 PM   
The Land

August 1916: Sofia falls, Sarajevo under siege

More baby steps in the Balkans. Sofia has fallen, but Bulgaria fights on! I expected it to surrender right away, but as Bulgaria actually has many units left in the field it may take several turns before it actually surrenders.

Constantinople is... under attack. Still. It's getting more difficult as British shell supply is pretty limited. The readiness of the Ottoman Corps holding Constantinople keeps falling, but there is no guarantee of success. On the beachheads on the East side of the Straits, there is still stiff Ottoman resistance and bloody fighting.

Serbian-British units have crossed the border into Bosnia-Herzegovnia and are currently investing Sarajevo. In bad news they have no artillery support. In good news, it's held by Austrians. In bad news, there is a German HQ right next door.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 44
August 1916: Ardennes and Moselle continued - 2/25/2020 8:40:33 PM   
The Land

August 1916: Ardennes and Moselle continued

On the Western Front the ceaseless attrition continues. The Germans keep attacking, the British and French and Belgians keep counter-attacking. This turn the Germans very nearly destroyed the garrison of Belfort. Austrian cavalry were destroyed in the open near Liege, but powerful German artillery deters more counterattacks near Luxemburg.

The Central Powers line is starting to look ragged again - the Germans have retreated from contact in much of the Vosges sector, and there are Austrian units holding the line. But still there is no imminent potential to capitalise on this.

Tech update: Britain has now unlocked tank production and will build a tank corps soon. Both Britain and France have finally invested in Artillery Weapons. France has invested in Command and Control And, the British have finally fired the incompetent Sir John French and replaced him with the more competent General Hubert Plumer. Britain has 0 chits, France has 1 remaining (after earning 1 for the near loss of Belfort).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 45
September 1916: Sara-YAY-vo and Constanti-NOPE-l - 2/26/2020 8:10:33 PM   
The Land

September 1916: Sara-YAY-vo and Constanti-NOPE-l

Mid-September 1916 and Sarajevo has fallen! It may be possible to make further progress into the Adriatic coast. But this will be hard going, particularly as the Central Powers seem determined to move as many troops as needed into the area.

Offensives against Constantinople have been paused for the autumn and winter to allow troops to rearm and shell stockpiles to rebuild. The Ottomans do at least seem to have un-garrisoned the land/sea hex east of Constantinople so the new plan is for the Royal Marines to land there and create a proper siege.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 46
September 1916: Send Three and Fourpence, We Are Going ... - 2/26/2020 8:19:04 PM   
The Land

September 1916: Send Three and Fourpence, We Are Going to a Dance

In the West, the Germans have pulled back from the Moselle and Vosges fronts and the French are following up! This turn the Germans left an artillery unit exposed in the front line, which has been destroyed.

It will be important to keep up the pressure on this sector - both to maximise the opportunities, and to stop the Central Powers moving forces to the eastern fronts. After all the Germans can't afford to fall back much further - if Entente forces start taking cities within Germany, that's very bad news for them.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by The Land -- 2/26/2020 8:20:21 PM >

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 47
RE: September 1916: Send Three and Fourpence, We Are Go... - 2/27/2020 1:36:15 PM   
FOARP

Loving the AAR so far. How is the AI doing on the Russian front?

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 48
RE: September 1916: Send Three and Fourpence, We Are Go... - 2/27/2020 3:07:00 PM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: FOARP

Loving the AAR so far. How is the AI doing on the Russian front?

Glad you are enjoying it! Great to know :)

I am planning a series of situation posts for winter 16-17 shortly. But the brief answer is the Russians are doing appallingly, but still better than history. Kovno and Brest-Litovsk are still in Russian hands, and so is Riga (the latter being historical). They are also doing disastrously in the Caucasus where the Turkish are making a general advance and the only thing stopping them besieging Tblisi is the quality of the terrain they're going through.

Russia may well collapse completely during 1917 - their NM is just above 30% and they have a lot of territory (and therefore NM points) just waiting to lose.

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 49
New Year 1917: The East - 2/27/2020 9:08:23 PM   
The Land

New Year 1917: The East

Here is a summary of the Eastern Front at the very start of 1917, in the snows of winter. The Russians are hard-pressed with National Morale at a mere 27% (12,338 points left).

The Germans are at the gates of Riga, which is only held by a battered Corps at the moment. Further south the Russian position in Poland is much stronger with well established units protecting Kovno, Grodno, Bialystok and Brest.

Further south yet, the Austrians have not been able to push out of Galicia and into the Ukraine. The whole Ukraine is held by two Russian Corps, so if any Central Powers troops make a determined attack, they will inevitably succeed.

In the Caucasus, there are again 2 Russian Corps trying to hold the entire Front, outnumbered maybe 4:1 by the Turks, who will soon be able to take both Tiflis and Batum.

Russia's overall position is dire and any serious losses of territory will result in the collapse of the Tsarist regime and Russia's departure from the War.

The only good news is that British supplies have been increased massively since the Autumn and the Russians are reliably rebuilding 3 Corps every turn, which will hopefully be sufficient to maintain the Imperial Army's strength to a modest degree during 1917.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 50
New Year 1917: Overall Situation - 2/27/2020 9:21:32 PM   
The Land

New Year 1917: Overall Situation

National Morale totals are now:

Britain 88% (44k)
France 67% (30k)
Serbia 63% (13k)
Russia 27% (12k)
Germany 38% (19k)
Austria-Hungary 30% (10k)
Ottomans 39% (9k)

US War Entry is 31%.

As you can see, Russia isn't the only place whose position is dire. I think it's likely that I can get the Ottomans out of the war by the end of Spring 1917. Then Russia will fall at some point during 1917. By then, however, both Germany and Austria are likely to be on their last legs - even with a bounce from defeating the Russians. It would now take some pretty bloody, one-sided losses for the French on the Western Front for France to topple before Germany.

Still... anything is possible....

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 51
March 1917: The Month of Revolutions - Russia - 2/28/2020 8:43:43 PM   
The Land

March 1917: The Month of Revolutions - Russia

The inevitable has happened, and the Russian Tsar has fallen - after months of military humiliation, food shortages and labour unrest. Finland has declared independence, the Tsar has abdicated, and the country is now run by a Provisional Government composed of socialists, anarchists, communists, communards, democrats, and other undesirables.

To celebrate the occasion, the Germans assaulted Riga, destroying the garrison and capturing the city.

Russian Morale has increased to 30%, and the Western powers reaffirmed their support for any Russian regime that was prepared to keep on fighting.

Seen below is Alexander Kerensky, demagogue and newly-minted War Minister.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 52
March 1917: The Month of Revolutions - Palestine and Ar... - 2/28/2020 8:55:15 PM   
The Land

March 1917: The Month of Revolutions - Palestine and Arabia

However, Russia isn't the only place where revolution is afoot. This is the situation in the Holy Land, where British troops have finally taken Jerusalem, and Britain has declared Palestine an independent state under British protection.

The road to Jerusalem has been a long and hard one. In October there was a serious reverse as Ottoman troops counter-attacked British forces attempting to encircle the city with over-extended supply lines, resulting in the loss of one Corps and one Cavalry Corps. However the arrival of additional forces from the Mesopotamian Theatre and from Britain meant that troop levels could increase, including the addition of heavy artillery.

Further South, the Arab rebels have finally starved the garrison of Medina into submission, and have declared an independent Emirate - again, recognised by and allied with the Entente powers...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by The Land -- 2/28/2020 8:57:14 PM >

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 53
April 1917: Constantinople Falls - 2/28/2020 9:16:26 PM   
The Land

April 1917: Constantinople Falls

Great news, and some vital reassurance for the Entente powers! Constantinople has fallen! To put this in historical context:

330AD: Constantinople is given that name and becomes capital of the Eastern Roman Empire
1204: Constantinople besieged and taken by a mainly French Crusader army, sacked and looted
1453: Constantinople besieged and taken by the Turks, not sacked and looted
1917: Constantinople besieged and taken by a mainly French Entente army, not sacked and looted

The assault has been carefully planned since offensive operations were suspended in October. It is a true combined arms operation, involving air, sea, infantry, cavalry, and artillery. Several regiments of heavy and field guns from the Indian Army Artillery provided a well-planned preparatory bombardment, in close cooperation with an Anglo-French fighter and observation air force. French infantry units carefully trained and planned for the operation, using the latest experience gained in the bloody trench warfare of the Western Front.
Then at dawn on the 7th, there was a simultaneous assault by the French II Colonial Corps and also by a detachment of Royal Marines conducting amphibious landings on both sides of the Bosphorous. The attack proved to be a total success, with far lower than expected casualties. The French Foreign Legion in the second wave of assault managed to push through as far as the Bosphorous on only the second day of the attack. The Ottoman Government is widely expected to collapse shortly.

As you can see, after the artillery bombardment the French troops had exceptionally favourable odds of 1:7.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 54
May 1917: The Seven-Power Plan for the Balkans - 2/29/2020 11:04:03 AM   
The Land

May 1917: The Seven-Power Plan for the Balkans

The Ottoman Empire has now surrendered. Syria and Mesopotamia join Palestine and Arabia as independent states under British protection, while Turkey itself is under French military administration.

The effect on Central Powers morale has been catalcysmic. Germany is on 18% (9.4k) and Austria-Hungary, 11% (3.6k). Russian morale has risen to 35% (16k). Furthermore, the Russian Provisional Government seems to be succeeding at rebuilding the Army, so there is no imminent threat of Russia being overwhelmed. In bad news though, Bolshevism is spreading in the Russian army and there is still a major risk of a Russian surrender in the long term.

Time to seize the opportunity and mount an offensive in the now-very-large Balkan theatre that can knock Austria-Hungary out of the War.

The Entente coalition here is composed of the local powers Montenegro, Serbia, Greece and Romania as well as Britain, France and Russia. Of course there are many other nationalities involved - Algerians and Moroccans in the French army, Indians and Australians and New Zealanders and Canadians in the British. The Western powers have several armies available now the Turks are finished. The plan is as follows

French Expeditionary Force under Dubail will move NW, finishing off the Bulgarians and move into Romania then push through the Transylvanian mountains onto the plain of the Danube, probably at the Iron Gates gorge. The Romanians and Russians will assist.

British Army of Turkey under Haig (which includes the Greeks) will move to assist the Serbian National Army around Nish and pushing on Belgrade and then into Slavonia. The Marines will detach for potential amphibious operations in the Adriatic.

British Army in of the Balkans under Hamilton will hold its positions around Uzice and support offensives on either its left or right flanks. (You will note that Sarajevo is back in enemy hands; this was a planned withdrawal as the position had become overextended.)

The British Army of Palestine under Smith-Dorrien will take transports to Montenegro and commence a push along the Adriatic coast. The Marines units will be attached to this force - if the Adriatic can be cleared of Central Powers submarines (which is a big 'if'), then they will conduct amphibious operations in the enemy's rear.

The overall concept is that this flurry of simultaneous blows will overwhelm the Central Powers at several points and provide a decisive end to Austria-Hungary as a political entity. If Austria-Hungary can be defeated then Germany will not be far behind.

No-one is putting dates on anything, but it seems likely the war will be over before the next winter.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by The Land -- 2/29/2020 11:05:26 AM >

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 55
May 1917: Third Battle of the Ardennes - 2/29/2020 12:44:38 PM   
The Land

May 1917: Third Battle of the Ardennes

Meanwhile on the Western Front, a new phase of the Battle of the Ardennes opens. The British are making an attempt to open the front between Aachen and Luxemburg, while there will be a secondary offensive on the Moselle front betwen Luxemburg and Metz. If successful, the next objective is Luxemburg. If that can be taken then there is a four-hex front with no major obstacles before the cities and factories of the Ruhr.

Here the newly formed Royal Tank Corps is about to assault a German reserve corps, after artillery preparation. Tanks are powerful units to lead an attack as they inflict extensive de-moralisation, reducing your target's Readiness and reducing casualties in the followup. However in this case the de-moralisation isn't even a factor - the Tank Corps has Hard Attack 6, and an effective readiness of 147% accounting for the prepared attack bonus. That means its expected damage is pretty near 9. It did, in face, do 9 damage - destroying the defending Corps at one shot.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by The Land -- 2/29/2020 2:42:09 PM >

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 56
June 2 1917: The screw tightens - 2/29/2020 8:37:14 PM   
The Land

June 2 1917: The screw tightens

June 2nd, 1917, and the screw has tightened another turn.

German Morale is now 14% (7k), Austrian is 9% (3k). Russian is 33% (15k).

In the Balkans, Entente troops are still mainly relocating. However, the Indian Army Artillery had first priority for transport and is already in action. They have participated in advance towards Kragujevac which eliminated two German Corps.

Elsewhere in the theatre the Belgians have retaken Sofia, which had been retaken by the Austrians and then re-encircled. The French have been engaged in mopping up the remains of the Bulgarian army in Eastern Bulgaria.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 57
June 2 1917: The screw tightens pt2 - 2/29/2020 8:51:30 PM   
The Land

June 2 1917: The screw tightens pt2

On the Western Front, the Battle of the Ardennes is going well, with Eupen and Malmedy back in Belgian hands. Both Luxemburg and Metz are now vulnerable, being surrounded on 3 sides, and the mines at Briey are starting to enter production again. The line between Metz and Luxemburg was held by von Hindenburg's HQ, so the French took a break from other operations to ensure it was destroyed. Next turn, assaults on Luxemburg and Aachen are planned, with Metz also possible.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 58
RE: June 2 1917: The screw tightens pt2 - 2/29/2020 11:26:49 PM   
nicwb

With the Ottoman collapse what do you propose to do with the Commonwealth forces currently in the Middle East ?

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 59
RE: June 2 1917: The screw tightens pt2 - 3/1/2020 7:55:22 AM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicwb

With the Ottoman collapse what do you propose to do with the Commonwealth forces currently in the Middle East ?

They're on their way to Montenegro to push up the Adriatic coast.

(And in this period - Empire, not Commonwealth ;) )

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> AAR >> End September 1915: Not so quiet on the Western Front Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI