Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

lock up on port attack

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> NetPlay Tech Support >> lock up on port attack Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
lock up on port attack - 2/5/2020 7:32:28 PM   
tfclarinet

Situation:
German bombs Plymouth with unit in Rotterdam
Allies roll 1, Axis roll 5
Allies spend their surprise points to avoid combat
Game then freezes on waiting for Allies to execute AA points

Autosave attached

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: lock up on port attack - 2/9/2020 9:59:05 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: tfclarinet

Situation:

Autosave attached

I've been able to reproduce this but I haven't been able to figure out what is going wrong.

The easy work around is to just not fly any bombers and instead change them to 'disorganized' using the Unit drop down menu.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to tfclarinet)
Post #: 2
RE: lock up on port attack - 2/11/2020 3:13:56 PM   
paulderynck

Isn't that ability (change them to disorganized) only available in the beta test versions?

Paul

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 3
RE: lock up on port attack - 2/12/2020 9:42:29 PM   
tfclarinet

I do not see a method to mark a unit as disorganized. How do I do that?

Regardless, this method assumes a result of the port attack, which we cannot determine because we cannot execute the port attack.

Thanks for checking on it.
Tom

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 4
RE: lock up on port attack - 2/12/2020 9:47:55 PM   
paulderynck

In post 1 it was indicated the defender had enough surprise points to call off the attack. What you could do is load the game save prior to the port strike, skip the port strike, assume the bomber did a "return from whence" and just not use it for the rest of the turn. Any disadvantage for the "return from whence" cancels out for not having to spend a tenth of oil to re-org the unit.

Paul

(in reply to tfclarinet)
Post #: 5
RE: lock up on port attack - 2/20/2020 3:52:19 PM   
tfclarinet

We finally did skip the port attack after reloading. And of course, the game moved forward. That is until we could not get past the DOW phase as noted on another post. Probably not related, but does show that one can spend hours playing only to be derailed by something.

Do any of y'all know a way to "kick start" a frozen game? Surely there is a key combination that will cause a game to unfreeze, skipping the issue at hand, just so we can keep the game progressing. Thoughts??

Post #: 6
RE: lock up on port attack - 2/21/2020 11:16:36 PM   
paulderynck

Once frozen, it's un-kickable, that is, once you are sure there's no hidden dialog box waiting for you to click something on. If it's not that, then you either have a game that cannot be advanced to the next phase or you are looking at a Madexcept. These are unrecoverable situations. All you can do is load a prior save that is close to where you are and find a way to play around it.

Paul

(in reply to tfclarinet)
Post #: 7
RE: lock up on port attack - 2/22/2020 2:26:00 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

We finally did skip the port attack after reloading. And of course, the game moved forward. That is until we could not get past the DOW phase as noted on another post. Probably not related, but does show that one can spend hours playing only to be derailed by something.

Do any of y'all know a way to "kick start" a frozen game? Surely there is a key combination that will cause a game to unfreeze, skipping the issue at hand, just so we can keep the game progressing. Thoughts??

The most common problem with a NetPlay game halting is that one player is suppose to click on an OK button on some form and the form is hidden behind another form. Using ALT F10 usually brings the currently active form to the front so the player can see it and click on the button.

During NetPlay games the player not making decisions often "looks around" the map and other forms (e.g., "what are the next turn's reinforcements?", "how many casualties have I taken?"). The stuff he is looking at can hide a prompt message that he needs to respond to. ALT F10 helps under those circumstances.

Steve

(in reply to tfclarinet)
Post #: 8
RE: lock up on port attack - 2/22/2020 2:29:21 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Once frozen, it's un-kickable, that is, once you are sure there's no hidden dialog box waiting for you to click something on. If it's not that, then you either have a game that cannot be advanced to the next phase or you are looking at a Madexcept. These are unrecoverable situations. All you can do is load a prior save that is close to where you are and find a way to play around it.

Mad Except messages can sometimes be ignored. You just click on "Continue Application" to resume play.

However, check that messages are still being exchanged between the two computers. If one player is moving units, make sure the units are moving on the other computer. If they are, then the computers are sending and receiving information. If the unit aren't moving on the other computer, you will need to go back to the last saved game and restart from there.

Steve

Post #: 9
RE: lock up on port attack - 2/22/2020 2:31:12 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Situation:

Autosave attached

I've been able to reproduce this but I haven't been able to figure out what is going wrong.

The easy work around is to just not fly any bombers and instead change them to 'disorganized' using the Unit drop down menu.

My bad.

Only the beta testers have access to the Unit Menu command to Disorganize/Reorganize Units. I would like to make that available for everyone playing a NetPlay game, but it is much harder to do than I originally thought.

Steve

Post #: 10
RE: lock up on port attack - 2/22/2020 2:39:41 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

quote:

Mad Except messages can sometimes be ignored. You just click on "Continue Application" to resume play.

However, check that messages are still being exchanged between the two computers. If one player is moving units, make sure the units are moving on the other computer. If they are, then the computers are sending and receiving information. If the unit aren't moving on the other computer, you will need to go back to the last saved game and restart from there.

I have often tried clicking on "Continue Application". It has never continued for me.

Paul

Post #: 11
RE: lock up on port attack - 2/22/2020 12:21:49 PM   
Centuur

quote:

quote:

quote:

I have often tried clicking on "Continue Application". It has never continued for me.

In netplay games, it will sometimes continue.

Peter

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> NetPlay Tech Support >> lock up on port attack Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI