Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific in WW2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific in WW2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific in WW2 - 2/3/2020 12:41:35 PM   
Rising-Sun

Got this War in the Pacific Admiral going time to time, wondering if there any games out there will show what it is like up close combat. War in the Pacific is nice strategy game, but only to look down like god mode and cant really see what it is really like in the actual conflict.

I can imagine what it is like, I have played some flight sims and ships, but never on the ground as a infantry or recon, etc. Curious if there any games out there has those kinda action that has campaign that will follow the historical path during the war. So very much like to try out the Japanese side and see what it is like.

Got this game for PS4 few days ago, it was great, but poorly design. Too bad doesn't have good setup and too many random in the game. I have never played the Battlefield Series, guess they all like that.

This video trailer is very interesting and heart pounding...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX8dswSDQqM

So really like to find a game that follow historical paths and having a campaign to keep track of things, etc.

Post #: 1
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/3/2020 2:16:53 PM   
Kuokkanen

I remember one: Pacific Islands. A tank game. I might have got a demo of it running on an AMD 386SX 40 MHz processor. I remember I enjoyed it.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 2
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/3/2020 2:44:47 PM   
RFalvo69

Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault is a very old game (2004), but it covers exactly what you are looking for.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 3
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/3/2020 3:47:25 PM   
Red2112

Yep, was just about to suggest MoHPA. I like the MoH saga more then the Battlefield saga TBH. I still play BF4 MP, but thatīs because no one is on the MoHW servers.

I just bought Hell Let Loose, but thatīs multiplayer only. Very Immersive, but not set in the Pacific, at least for now.

Hell Let Loose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kphNJIZABoE

Red

< Message edited by Red2112 -- 2/3/2020 3:48:00 PM >

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 4
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/3/2020 5:17:04 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault is a very old game (2004), but it covers exactly what you are looking for.

Yes that game is old, after what I read up on wiki, showing American side is the only way to play it. So looking for one that has on the Japanese side.

I came across several games, one is Post Scriptum, look really interesting and realistic, but unfort it for on European side. Was told they may make one for the Pacific later on.

Rising Storm by Tripwire look okay, but it is old and doesn't support campaign. Only custom maps that players made and multiplayer is shot to hell, not stable at all.

I got few requests on Steam, that I should look into CoD WW2 or World at War, then someone mention something about Medal of Honor Rising sun.

So look like I gotta do some research, so I wouldn't have to buy those games and asking for refund on Steam.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red2112

Yep, was just about to suggest MoHPA. I like the MoH saga more then the Battlefield saga TBH. I still play BF4 MP, but thatīs because no one is on the MoHW servers.

I just bought Hell Let Loose, but thatīs multiplayer only. Very Immersive, but not set in the Pacific, at least for now.

Hell Let Loose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kphNJIZABoE

Red

I just returned BF5 at gamestop, that guy told me I should grab the very first one and realize that is WW1 lol. It just I cant figure out how this BF work, to me just random and doesn't keep track of nation's campaign. All connected and doesn't matter what you do. I think the biggest regret when you try login in a mutli game, sometimes it stuck you right in the middle of battle, boom then you are dead, happen to me several times and it was annoying.

Wanted something that is historical and realistic, setting up the map, battle, etc. one life to live (no respawn) up to 64 players or 32 on each side. The problem is that they would have to wait their turn until its ready to be launch.

Just too much random going on in there, the graphics and features are great, its the setup is horrible. Cant choose what nation to do single play.

Edited, that Medal of Honor Rising Sun is also on the American side as well. So there is no Japanese side.

Havent been able to locate CoD World at War yet, still searching it.

< Message edited by Rising-Sun -- 2/3/2020 5:36:21 PM >

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 5
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/3/2020 6:11:27 PM   
Red2112

Yes, MP gameplay, especially with Battlefield players is a spawn kill fest (they know were you will spawn, for the most part), and/or you have snipers covering spawn points at a distance Aside from hackers and all the childhood bunny hopping in game!

Itīs the nature of the beast!

Newer games have sort of fixed the spawn kill thing, so itīs not that bad. Either way, in older games you get use to it, BF is a fast paced game online and either you flow with it or donīt play. Same goes with CoD and CoDMW.

Insurgency has coop against the AI, which brings me to Day of Infamy, itīs the same devs as Insurgency but in a WWII setting. I play alot of Insuergency Sand Storm in coop against the AI.

The only other option I can think of is Iron Front: Liberation 1944. This is basically Arma 2, but as a standalone WW2 game. And as all Arma games, thereīs a heap load of mods for it. Itīs not set in the Pacific but, as I said thereīs mods for it, you just have to do your homework (mods, how to use them, set-up etc.)...

What you were looking for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzjI9gKA2qQ

Banzi my friend

Red

< Message edited by Red2112 -- 2/3/2020 6:24:26 PM >

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 6
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/3/2020 6:33:46 PM   
Red2112

If you have Arma 3, then you can use the IFA3 mod, which converts Arma 3 to WW2. Then look for a Pacific theater mod/mission.

Hereīs Arma 3 with the IFA3 mod and set in north Africa...

Red

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 7
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/4/2020 6:21:01 AM   
nicwb

Depends a bit if you're willing to go full retro....

Talonsoft had an old game "Rising Sun" -I've s copy but haven't a clue where you would find one now.

HPS had a couple of Pacific themed Squad Battle games -"The Proud and the Few" and "Pacific War"

I think also Steel Panthers had a couple of Pacific themed user made games.

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 8
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/4/2020 9:39:25 AM   
demyansk

I have Battlefield 5 and the Pacific maps are good. New map coming out on Thursday for Solomon islands.

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 9
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/4/2020 11:21:25 AM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

Yes, MP gameplay, especially with Battlefield players is a spawn kill fest (they know were you will spawn, for the most part), and/or you have snipers covering spawn points at a distance Aside from hackers and all the childhood bunny hopping in game!

Itīs the nature of the beast!

Newer games have sort of fixed the spawn kill thing, so itīs not that bad. Either way, in older games you get use to it, BF is a fast paced game online and either you flow with it or donīt play. Same goes with CoD and CoDMW.

Insurgency has coop against the AI, which brings me to Day of Infamy, itīs the same devs as Insurgency but in a WWII setting. I play alot of Insuergency Sand Storm in coop against the AI.

The only other option I can think of is Iron Front: Liberation 1944. This is basically Arma 2, but as a standalone WW2 game. And as all Arma games, thereīs a heap load of mods for it. Itīs not set in the Pacific but, as I said thereīs mods for it, you just have to do your homework (mods, how to use them, set-up etc.)...

What you were looking for:

Banzi my friend

Red

quote:

Post Scriptum

Yeah I just noticed that, not much into wild shooter or arcade games, but just like to the feelings on how it is like in the real battlefield. Playing strategy games as god mode is easy, like old generals, etc.

I am hoping Post Scriptum will add Pacific someday, not sure if they game will support campaign. I don't own it yet, but I have seen some videos and got player comments and look really interesting.

Thanks for the details I will look into that on Arma 2.

All I can just is watch some youtube videos on BF5 while taken a break or having dinner lol. So that would save me a lot of griefs dealing with all that rage, if you are playing, then you know what I mean.

quote:

ORIGINAL: demyansk

I have Battlefield 5 and the Pacific maps are good. New map coming out on Thursday for Solomon islands.

Yes I am aware of that, adding the Solomon Island is nice, actually it is Guadalcanal. After that place was overrun by USA, that unfinish airstrip was named as Henderson Field.

Anyway I got rid of that game, I don't like it how things are setup in there. The graphics and details, are great, just how they setting up the lobbies for players to hop in there. Too bad you can make a private game and choose what map to play against players and/or AI.

Wasn't sure how Firestorm will be like, but if they had it setup as both sides or more on the edge of the map, then rush in take the objectives or defend. One like to live, no respawn would be nice. Kinda like World of Tanks I use to play several years ago. Would have been a great idea, but I never played a battlefield series, guess that how they do things anyway in that game.

quote:

If you have Arma 3, then you can use the IFA3 mod, which converts Arma 3 to WW2. Then look for a Pacific theater mod/mission.

Hereīs Arma 3 with the IFA3 mod and set in north Africa...

Red

Hey that video is pretty cool, I like it. Is that PS4, not sure if there any way to add mods to your game on PS4, gotta be PC version. I will look it up and thank you for mention that.

< Message edited by Rising-Sun -- 2/4/2020 11:31:42 AM >

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 10
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/4/2020 1:35:24 PM   
Red2112

I never knew they made Arma 3 for PS4.

No, thatīs a PC version. Arma 3 (PC) with the IFA3 mod. Basically itīs the formentioned Iron Front Liberation 1944 using the Arma 3 engine.

This is with the Faces of War mod...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h8Q9xNnkNA

Red

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 11
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/4/2020 3:10:52 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

I never knew they made Arma 3 for PS4.

No, thatīs a PC version. Arma 3 (PC) with the IFA3 mod. Basically itīs the formentioned Iron Front Liberation 1944 using the Arma 3 engine.

This is with the Faces of War mod...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h8Q9xNnkNA

Red

Cool, yeah I don't remember seeing any Arma on PS4 Store either. I just found the workshop on Steam under Arma 3, got a lot of mods on there and look interesting. Gonna grab Arma 3 soon and thank you for mention it.

This gotta be way better than Battlefield V.

< Message edited by Rising-Sun -- 2/4/2020 3:11:53 PM >

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 12
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/4/2020 4:36:16 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicwb

I think also Steel Panthers had a couple of Pacific themed user made games.

Does those games have names?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 13
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/4/2020 9:38:15 PM   
Simulacra53

https://store.steampowered.com/app/234510/Rising_Storm_Game_of_the_Year_Edition/

Pretty enjoyable, if you like fps games.
What it lacks in a campaign in makes good in maps and gameplay.
Buy when it is on sale.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 14
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/4/2020 10:37:00 PM   
Red2112

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rising-Sun
Cool, yeah I don't remember seeing any Arma on PS4 Store either. I just found the workshop on Steam under Arma 3, got a lot of mods on there and look interesting. Gonna grab Arma 3 soon and thank you for mention it.

This gotta be way better than Battlefield V.

Oh yeah, ArmA 3 is a hardcore milsim. Along with Squad (same dev as Post Scriptum), they are the top modern milsim FPS still today. One shot, one kill, so be aware.

Battlefield is more run and gun.

Most of the mods are found on Steams ArmA 3 Workshop. People play with alot of mods in Arma 3, so if you watch a video and donīt see it as in your game, donīt worry, they are using mods that you donīt.

Hereīs a neat keyboard layout. You will need it:
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/107410/manuals/Arma_3_keylayout_ENG.pdf?t=1478619759

I play ArmA 3 with the Dynamic Recon Ops (DRO) mod...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nH7cJxaGdM

Have fun!

--

< Message edited by Red2112 -- 2/4/2020 10:39:38 PM >

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 15
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/4/2020 10:55:38 PM   
Red2112

Just so your on the right track with ArmA 3, as it does have quite a learning curve.

The following will at least give you a head start...

Basic Controls and Stances:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqq8EnDnxAA&t=699s

AI (fireteam) control:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-fZJm7mhfk

Thereīs alot more to explore, so you will get your moneyīs worth thatīs for sure.

Red

< Message edited by Red2112 -- 2/4/2020 10:56:29 PM >

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 16
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/5/2020 12:18:28 AM   
demyansk

Battlefield 5 is good if you play using Teamspeak, send me a pm and I can let you know of a good group.

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 17
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/5/2020 6:35:23 AM   
nicwb

quote:

Kuokannen - just going from the scenario list in Steel Panthers "World at War"..

13. Black Mountain - USMC v IJA - Mt Suribachi
14. Rough rescues - USMC v IJA -Okinawa
21 Chiang's Nightmare - Chinese v IJA china 1937
42 Fading Light - USMC v IJA - Wake Atoll 1941
43 Some tough Mates - AIF v IJA -Malaya 1942

There appear to be quite a few others - I don't have the full Steel Panthers with the mega campaigns - so I wouldn't be surprised if there is at least one Pacific mega campaign somewhere about.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 18
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/5/2020 12:45:31 PM   
Red2112

quote:

ORIGINAL: demyansk

Battlefield 5 is good if you play using Teamspeak, send me a pm and I can let you know of a good group.

Just to clarify. Iam not saying Battlefield is bad. As I said before, I play BF4 and BF3 online alot. BUT, anyone who has played BF or CoD online knows that your hits will not get through untill you reach a certain level (rank).

Which means your going to be running and gunning alot to reach that level before you start really enjoying the game. Same goes with weapons, you will need to level up and gain XP to unlock good weapons. In other words, thereīs alot of grinding to do, or pay for weapon packs/maps. At start level, your bullets will be more like rubber bullets.

If you have the patience to do all that then yeah BF/CoD will be good for you.

I use BF, CoD, and WW3 to keep my reflexes sharp, as they are very fast paced (online) compared to other FPS. But I hate the constant bunny hop (strafe-jumping) and spawn killing that happens in these games.

Thereīs none of that in ArmA, Squad, Ground Branch, Hell Let Loose or Post Scriptum. I have only played Insurgency SS in coop so canīt say.

There different game styles over all, and nothing wrong with that.

Red

< Message edited by Red2112 -- 2/5/2020 12:48:57 PM >

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 19
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/5/2020 7:08:06 PM   
Red2112

Thought you would like this...

Vietnam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPP0NReObNw&t=1s

Pacific:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8zOPGxR9IQ

Red

--

< Message edited by Red2112 -- 2/5/2020 7:11:17 PM >

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 20
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/5/2020 7:15:48 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicwb

quote:

Kuokannen - just going from the scenario list in Steel Panthers "World at War"..

13. Black Mountain - USMC v IJA - Mt Suribachi
14. Rough rescues - USMC v IJA -Okinawa
21 Chiang's Nightmare - Chinese v IJA china 1937
42 Fading Light - USMC v IJA - Wake Atoll 1941
43 Some tough Mates - AIF v IJA -Malaya 1942

There appear to be quite a few others - I don't have the full Steel Panthers with the mega campaigns - so I wouldn't be surprised if there is at least one Pacific mega campaign somewhere about.

I thought we were talking about games and not scenarios

MekWars

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 21
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/6/2020 10:47:52 AM   
Trugrit

By all means go with Arma 3 if you have the rig to run it.

I play Arma 3 when I want to chew some dirt in the Pacific.
It is modded for WW2. I run it on Steam, it handles the mods very well.

I Just play single player because I’m too old and slow for multiplayer.
My reaction time is way down but the difficulty can be adjusted.

I create my own campaigns. It has a great editor.

Faces of War:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWjegUhrFk4

WWII Europe in ArmA 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqp3L9Beqhw

Some Guys are very good at this game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRtCRLvKOAk

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 22
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/6/2020 1:50:42 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

Thought you would like this...

Vietnam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPP0NReObNw&t=1s

Pacific:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8zOPGxR9IQ

Red

--

That Pacific one is interesting, yes some Japanese soldiers did commit killing themselves, rather than surrender to the enemies.

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 23
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/6/2020 1:54:14 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

By all means go with Arma 3 if you have the rig to run it.

I play Arma 3 when I want to chew some dirt in the Pacific.
It is modded for WW2. I run it on Steam, it handles the mods very well.

I Just play single player because I’m too old and slow for multiplayer.
My reaction time is way down but the difficulty can be adjusted.

I create my own campaigns. It has a great editor.

Faces of War:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWjegUhrFk4

WWII Europe in ArmA 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqp3L9Beqhw

Some Guys are very good at this game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRtCRLvKOAk

Yeah I am that way myself too Trugrit, yes my rig is good. Looking forward to get into that scenarios someday. Kinda hard to use the controller for PS4 to aim good instead of PC's mouse. Even War Thunder, I don't wanna buy a flight stick for one game for PS4 or PC, using those controllers aren't easy to aim.

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 24
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/6/2020 3:38:53 PM   
Red2112

PC and mouse is the way to go for me with FPS games.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 25
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/7/2020 2:50:35 AM   
Rebel Yell

quote:

PC and mouse is the only way to go for FPS games.

FTFY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mjz6j_CUzA

Don't hate a game because you play it poorly.

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 26
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/7/2020 9:17:20 AM   
Red2112

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel Yell

quote:

FTFY.

LOL

Red

(in reply to Rebel Yell)
Post #: 27
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/7/2020 10:54:57 AM   
Rising-Sun

Thank a lot guys, this really help me to decide what to do next and nice chatting with you as well.

Looking forward to push my experience further to see what it really like up close in realistic combat. I know playing those strategy games, looking down, like playing god doesn't really show much details what it really like in real life situations.

There only few games I play on PS4, to get outta of the den and/or take a break. For MMOs would be Grand Theft Auto V Online (Solo/Closed Session with friends) and Elder Scrolls Online. For single player, got a few like Skyrim, Fallout4, Horizon and No Man's Sky.

And for PC, well got hundred of games on there, mostly on Steam. About around 90 percent I don't care for, then Steam finally give you refund if you don't like it or has some issues.

< Message edited by Rising-Sun -- 2/7/2020 10:58:56 AM >

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 28
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/7/2020 3:57:31 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel Yell

quote:

FTFY.

Talk about exaggeration. I have played games with every Xbox and few others, and gamepads aren't THAT bad. I even prefer to have few game pads around for multiplayer on 1 computer. Still would be nice to have keyboard & mouse options available to the consoles. Those were around already over 25 years ago, at least for Saturn and CD32.

MekWars

(in reply to Rebel Yell)
Post #: 29
RE: Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific i... - 2/7/2020 5:46:42 PM   
Red2112

I played CoD-MW3 on the XBox with a pad and reached level 50 (multiplayer). But that was many years ago! Kids now days can play on a pad and be just as precise as one on PC, but itīs just not for me.

Itīs like 3rd person vs 1st person shooters, each like there own...

Red

--

< Message edited by Red2112 -- 2/7/2020 5:48:19 PM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Looking for realistic action games in the Pacific in WW2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI